Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2021 6:15:44 PM EDT
Correct me if I’m wrong but if I don’t plan on crimping(7mm RM) it doesn’t matter where the cannelure lines up vs the end of the case correct?

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#2]
I feel like this shouldn't happen, but I have experienced problems loading bullets with cannelures where I wasn't crimping if the edge of the case mouth ended up on the cannelure. Basically when that happened I was getting insufficient neck tension and I could push or pull the bullet in the case without a ton of effort.  

Now I wouldn't think it would work that way because the bullet isn't only being held at the very edge of the mouth, but I guess it makes sense that the highest neck tension point would be there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe, but any bullets without a cannelure seated into the same brass that was sized with the same bushing, I could not move by hand like that. And I could only move the bullet the distance of the width of the cannelure.

I had that same problem with Leigh Defense controlled fracturing bullets that have those grooves. If the case mouth edge ended up over a groove, it had issues.

I've since gotten some tighter bushings for sizing, but haven't gotten back to trying anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PA452:
Maybe, but any bullets without a cannelure seated into the same brass that was sized with the same bushing, I could not move by hand like that. And I could only move the bullet the distance of the width of the cannelure.

I had that same problem with Leigh Defense controlled fracturing bullets that have those grooves. If the case mouth edge ended up over a groove, it had issues.

I've since gotten some tighter bushings for sizing, but haven't gotten back to trying anything.
View Quote

That's really weird. On paper, you wouldn't have as much surface area for the tension to grip, but in practice it makes no difference.

Seems like a lack of tension or undersized bullets.

I can't even move bullets that take almost no effort to seat on annealed necks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I FL resized the casings and seated the bullet without a crimp—no issues.

Although I’m in the cannelure and could have crimped it, I guess.

Thx for the help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top