Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2019 2:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bob9181]
I have a Proof Research Elevation Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel is a carbon fiber 24". I also have an Area 419 Brake. I wanted to ask if its a good idea to put a brake on a hunting rifle? How more sound will it cause? Not really concerned about recoil from a 6.5 Creedmoor as I am used to the recoil of much higher calibers like the .270 Win and .300 WM.

Does installing a brake provide any benefits in a hunting scenario? What are the pros vs cons?

Would like to hear the opinions of the enthusiasts here. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 7:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EliCustom] [#1]
Your rifle is a bolt action

For any bolt action hunting or target rifle where recoil is an issue, I recommend a Shrewd compensator. As you already know, a compensator is a trade off between sound(concussion) and recoil reduction. The Shrewd is a good balance between the two. It's also a symmetrical design that looks good and is available in CM or stainless.

Your rifle isn't going to have much recoil so there really is no need for a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only three reasons for putting a brake on a rifle for hunting.  Diminshing recoil, increasing sound signature, or getting back on target quicker.

I braked my .300 win, because with a total weight of 6 lbs with scope, recoil is enough to get your attention in not the best way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It's just louder and one more thing to get a stick stuck in. If you don't need a thing on your gun, don't put a thing on your gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not consider a Brake unless it was going to be holding my Suppressor. I hunted for many years before I bought a suppressor and never needed one. I was shooting 7MM, 243, 270, 308 & 30-30. You will be good to go without it. Buy more ammo for the cost of the Brake.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Even on a light 6.5 C gun I would not put a brake on it. In the field you don’t control when or how your shot will come. If you have to make a quick shot you will not get your plugs in. You can count on hearing damage. Ask me how I know,. Loudly please...
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a lite 300prc I put a break on for recoil reduction. I always have ear pro before shooting. If recoil doesn't need taming I would not put a break on a hunting gun. All other guns get them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I remove the brakes on mine for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL_Safety] [#9]
Do not put a brake on a 6.5 creedmoor.  The recoil is minimal, even with what sounds like a light weight rifle set up.  The down side of a break in the field is tremendous.  I have a factory rifle in 300 win mag, with a Savage brake on it.  A single shot in the field without taking the time to put ear pro on results in tinnitus - IE ringing of the ears indicating hearing damage.  I love the brake on the 300 WM for making range sessions more pleasant, but don't need it for shots in the field.  Your POI will likely change slightly between brake on or off, so with a light recoiling gun like 6.5, it has limited value for range work.
I carry ear pro when I hunt with my 300 win mag, but there have now been two separate instances where I didn't have time to put it on for the shots, once I fired 1 round, the 2nd 3 rounds.  In both cases, likely damaged my hearing, and the hearing of people standing near me.  I've thought of getting some of the electronic ear muffs that are off / on automatically, but the truth is I don't think I'll hear as well, and often sound is important.
With a light recoiling round, or anything up to 300 WM I don't see the value over the noise for field use.  If I was hunting with a .338 lapua, I'd use a brake in the field just to speed up recovery for follow on shots.  Don't think you need that with 6.5.  I've got some suppressor adaptors for .223 that are brakes when the suppressor isn't in place.  They do a great job of making loud short barreled uppers truly obnoxius.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
That why you buy electronic hearing protection. Always in. No need to fumble for it. You can hear better with it in.

And no shot is worth my hearing. Not sure about others but shooting without ears is just stupid IMHO.
View Quote
Agreed. But some of us that grew up shooting didn’t know ear pro existed until too late. Even then the electronic pro was years away.

By all means use e-pro today! You will thank those of us who suffer from tinnitus harping on you about it.

Too reiterate, I have never “felt” the recoil during a kill shot from 22-300wm-45-70. You don’t need a break on a Creedmore for hunting. JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I was not talking about those people but the topic at hand with people saying don't use a brake because they don't wear ears. That is today. Not years ago.

I too have tinnitus from the Marine Corps and that is why I stress this point hard as you only get two ears. Don't be stupid and shoot without hearing protection ever!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Agreed. But some of us that grew up shooting didn’t know ear pro existed until too late. Even then the electronic pro was years away.

By all means use e-pro today! You will thank those of us who suffer from tinnitus harping on you about it.

Too reiterate, I have never “felt” the recoil during a kill shot from 22-300wm-45-70. You don’t need a break on a Creedmore for hunting. JMHO.
I was not talking about those people but the topic at hand with people saying don't use a brake because they don't wear ears. That is today. Not years ago.

I too have tinnitus from the Marine Corps and that is why I stress this point hard as you only get two ears. Don't be stupid and shoot without hearing protection ever!
I couldn't agree more...I've got a Ruger American in 6.5CM as my hunting rifle. I didn't brake it.  It doesn't really need it.  If you're taking a faster, offhand shot, your going to move off target regardless if rifle is braked or not.  If you have an opportunity to prone out, then you should be able to more easily employ recoil-mitigation techniques to help stay on target.

Not only does the ear pro help when you've got to shoot, but it also enhances your natural hearing...I always imagine it's what the deer or elk hear when I'm crunching around the woods searching for them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FALex:

I couldn't agree more...I've got a Ruger American in 6.5CM as my hunting rifle. I didn't brake it.  It doesn't really need it.  If you're taking a faster, offhand shot, your going to move off target regardless if rifle is braked or not.  If you have an opportunity to prone out, then you should be able to more easily employ recoil-mitigation techniques to help stay.
View Quote
I shot my first buck of the season off-hand with a Proof Research 6.5 CM. I was on an open stand and did not even have the time to pull over the front rail and the buck was passing me in first light. Just held the rifle and supported my left hand on my left knee and took an off hand shot. POI was  point of aim at about 109 yards and the recoil of 6.5 CM, I don’t really feel it even without a brake since I am so used to .270 win recoil from other gun (Tikka T3x)
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]Originally Posted By FALexNot only does the ear pro help when you've got to shoot, but it also enhances your natural hearing...I always imagine it's what the deer or elk hear when I'm crunching around the woods searching for them.
View Quote
Agreed to both yours and Rob01’s comments.  Since I did not have much time research. I just used my 3M Peltors (over the ear) and yes, the protection from high dB sounds was there and the electronics also enhanced the ambient hearing.

But having said that, I found them over the head/over the ear headphones extremely uncomfortable for long sessions sitting in the stands, trekking, or stalking. Simply not the most comfortable for more than a few minutes.

Decided I will do some research to get some in-ear electronic ear pro for next season.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bob9181:

I shot my first buck of the season off-hand with a Proof Research 6.5 CM. I was on an open stand and did not even have the time to pull over the front rail and the buck was passing me in first light. Just held the rifle and supported my left hand on my left knee and took an off hand shot. POI was  point of aim at about 109 yards and the recoil of 6.5 CM, I don’t really feel it even without a brake since I am so used to .270 win recoil from other gun (Tikka T3x)
View Quote
My first deer was with an AR with a Lantac brake on it. My box blind is about big enough that pushing the front swing swivel on a bolt action against the window seal my chair is against the back of the stand. But not with my AR. That sumbitch is short enough you can drop a deer at 50 yards while setting off a flashbang in your stand because you forgot to stick the muzzle out the window. I don't think having ears on would have even saved my ears from that shit, let alone when I did the same shit the next day when I dropped a damn good east Texas buck. Which while I like having a short barrel because it makes it easier to get out the window without making noise, having a bolt gun with a long barrel makes sure the bang is outside the window.

Another thing I've noticed, the fireball from a brake ruins your night vision if you have to shoot a critter/nuisance animal any time close to it being dark.

The only time I've actually needed a brake on a rifle was a featherweight Savage 30.06 that was like getting kicked by a mule everytime you shot it, but I wound up doing some horse trading, and I wound up with a Tikka 30.06 and even with just a T shirt on, you know you're shooting something, but it doesn't hurt you. The only reasons I could see where you need a brake is on a competition gun, or something big like a .50.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#18]

A lot more comfortable than being deaf. I wear them for 8+ hours at matches and I know they are not the most comfortable but unless you are going through heavy brush that might catch on them they really get like part of the gear and the more you wear them the less you notice them.
View Quote
Absolutely. Do not regret it at all. Better than going deaf. They also saved my ears, when I had to fire off a few shots from my 9mm sidearms to scare of the a group of (about 8-10) vultures that were trying to land on my hunted buck. Needless to say, I wasn't going to share my harvest ;)

The only challenge I had was one day I lost a deer while trying to rest my cheek on the stock, it made a click sound (the 3M peltors) . Also, I had a headache almost every day wearing those. So, just trying to explore the in-ear smaller electronic ear-pro options like the Decibullz or Walkers. Right now, have to do some research, know nothing about them.

Recommendations and suggestions are most welcome.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#19]
Absolutely. Do not regret it at all. Better than going deaf. They also saved my ears, when I had to fire off a few shots from my 9mm sidearms to scare of the a group of (about 8-10) vultures that were trying to land on my hunted buck. Needless to say, I wasn't going to share my harvest ;)

The only challenge I had was one day I lost a deer while trying to rest my cheek on the stock, it made a click sound (the 3M peltors) . Also, I had a headache almost every day wearing those. So, just trying to explore the in-ear smaller electronic ear-pro options like the Decibullz or Walkers. Right now, have to do some research, know nothing about them.

View All Quotes

A lot more comfortable than being deaf. I wear them for 8+ hours at matches and I know they are not the most comfortable but unless you are going through heavy brush that might catch on them they really get like part of the gear and the more you wear them the less you notice them.

I have the Walkers.  Not bad.  They were pretty annoying until I got used to them.

Considering the shape my ears are in, I double up on the range.

Triple, if you count the can.  I rarely shoot unsuppessed.

ETA:  I don't have a brake on anything.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't hunt with plugs or muffs, so no, no brakes on any of my hunting guns...
I'm a big fan of KVP linear comps though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Even on a light 6.5 C gun I would not put a brake on it. In the field you don’t control when or how your shot will come. If you have to make a quick shot you will not get your plugs in. You can count on hearing damage. Ask me how I know,. Loudly please...
View Quote
Yep, really bad idea
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
If you don't need recoil reduction or to get back on target fast then no need for a brake. It will add to the sound signature but you should be wearing hearing protection anyways. Electronic ears are so cheap now there is no reason not to.
View All Quotes
I have a Proof Research Elevation Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel is a carbon fiber 24". I also have an Area 419 Brake. I wanted to ask if its a good idea to put a brake on a hunting rifle? How more sound will it cause? Not really concerned about recoil from a 6.5 Creedmoor as I am used to the recoil of much higher calibers like the .270 Win and .300 WM.

Does installing a brake provide any benefits in a hunting scenario? What are the pros vs cons?

Would like to hear the opinions of the enthusiasts here. Thanks!
If you don't need recoil reduction or to get back on target fast then no need for a brake. It will add to the sound signature but you should be wearing hearing protection anyways. Electronic ears are so cheap now there is no reason not to.
This ^^^
My .338WM is better with a brake. Fkn evil sound but it manages the recoil much better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AL_Safety:
Do not put a brake on a 6.5 creedmoor.
View Quote
I strongly disagree. I have a brake (PVA Jet Blast) on my 6.5 AR, and even went so far as to install a Limbsaver recoil pad. Recoil was never anything to worry about, but I really like to be able to spot my hits and get back on target quick for a follow-up shot if required. I couldn't care less about noise since I'll be wearing ear pro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top