Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
Hello gents ,

Have a ar10 lower sitting so I have decided to build it out.  Looking to go 6.5 cm and while the barrel from Proof research is expensive does it actually meet people expectations in accuracy department?

So if any of you have shot, own or care to enlighten me on any pro's and con's that would be great. I am trying to make a lightish weight large frame ar10 if I can. Will be a long range rig obviously and will probably pair it with a NF scope

Thanks,
CC
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a Long Range instructor so I have seen a handful of precision gas guns on the line.
I put a Proof 20" 6.5 CM with the +2 gas system in my LaRue because my Larue barrel will NOT shoot for shit (1.25-1.5 MOA w/ 5 shots)
I tried 4-5 different types of match ammo and through the Proof and the best I can remember it was a solid 3/4-1" MOA rifle with a few of the different types of match ammo.
I hand loaded with the older 140 AMAX using H4350 powder and I was very very impressed.
I was getting an easy 1/2 MOA at 100y and closer to 1 MOA out to 600y which is where most gas guns fall apart.
The overall balance of the rifle alone is worth spending the extra $$ on!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shadow_Warrior:
I'm a Long Range instructor so I have seen a handful of precision gas guns on the line.
I put a Proof 20" 6.5 CM with the +2 gas system in my LaRue because my Larue barrel will NOT shoot for shit (1.25-1.5 MOA w/ 5 shots)
I tried 4-5 different types of match ammo and through the Proof and the best I can remember it was a solid 3/4-1" MOA rifle with a few of the different types of match ammo.
I hand loaded with the older 140 AMAX using H4350 powder and I was very very impressed.
I was getting an easy 1/2 MOA at 100y and closer to 1 MOA out to 600y which is where most gas guns fall apart.
The overall balance of the rifle alone is worth spending the extra $$ on!
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. Money on this build really isn't going to be an issue. After further research the CA  carbon fiber barrels seem much lighter.  I am willing to sacrifice some weight if the accuracy is better with a proof.

Trying to find a light stripped upper currently, was looking at going with the aero precision enhanced m5 but looks heavy on the rail compared to the V7 hyper light rail at a hair over 6 ounces for the 15 inch rail.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have several Proof barrels on bolt guns and gas guns. One is the 22” 6.5CM mounted in an Aero upper.

They shoot. The main thing you need to know if they are not finished internally to the level of other high end barrels. I had a Criterion Stainless select that would throw 5” groups at 700 yards, it did 3 rounds in 2.2 at 750 in a match once. So you just have to run 1-200 rounds thru the proof to get it settled down.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The Proof Research barrels shoot.  I’ve got acces to one that I’ve shot at 1000 yards and it’s better than I am.  This is with Winchester 140 Match ammunition.  I can’t give you a group size but it’s capable of X ring if the shooter is.

This is my 11 year olds target

Attachment Attached File

All I did was tell her where to hold the crosshairs and she squeezed the trigger

Dan
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

Thanks for the reply. Money on this build really isn't going to be an issue. After further research the CA  carbon fiber barrels seem much lighter.  I am willing to sacrifice some weight if the accuracy is better with a proof.

Trying to find a light stripped upper currently, was looking at going with the aero precision enhanced m5 but looks heavy on the rail compared to the V7 hyper light rail at a hair over 6 ounces for the 15 inch rail.
View Quote
Look into 2A Armament, very nice and very light receivers.

Also, I have a CA Grendel barrel and it's awesome. Shoots super tight and it's definitely light.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this is an older thread but thought i'd Throw in for giggles.

I have a proof barrel (non wrapped) and it's been by far my best barrel.
I'm pretty sure I'll have others from proof on other rifles going forward.

Its been by by far the best barrel I've had.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:59:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: griffin86] [#7]
My Proof Research in 6.5 CM 18.5". The horizontal stringing is my fault. The mosquitos were bad, after every shot I would hop back in the truck for the barrel to cool.

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi CC,

I own the Proof Research TAC-II chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, I would not hesitate to purchase a carbon fiber barrel from Proof. I have just under 500 rounds through the barrel and with amazing results from 100 yards out to 1,000 yards! I have noticed the Point of Aim and Point of Impact is minor with the cold bore and the two follow up shots roughly 0.25" difference. I shoot a slow three-shot group over a couple minutes, I enjoy relaxing behind the rifle and not rushing, plus every shot I take is $4.00, which slightly forces me to make every shot count. Point being my best group at 100 yards is one single hole and on average the rifle shoots 0.20" groups. I have shot a 0.23" three shot-group at 200 yards.

The ammo I am using is custom hand loads from Superior Ammunition out of South Carolina, when I received the rifle from Proof I sent her down to Lonnie Cribb to break-in the barrel and to develop custom loads just for the TAC-II and he did with beautiful results. In all honesty, I am quite happy with the rifle, barrel, and Superior Ammunition's hand loads.

Well worth the money!

Jonathan

Talin Rifle Company
508-726-3555
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top