Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 12/8/2019 11:15:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2019 11:15:37 AM EDT by esa17]
I've got an old 700 action just begging for some attention. EV has a great deal on Proof Research barrels right now and I'm not sure which way to go.

The end product will be a gun used for PRS in 6.5cm.  Would y'all go with a carbon fiber barrel or a steel barrel?  Since it's not going to be a hunting rifle weight isn't a concern. Basically I'm having a "cool guy" crisis.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:47:25 AM EDT
Never done PRS, but I think a lot of those guys like to run a heavier barrel/setups to help with recoil management.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:53:00 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
Never done PRS, but I think a lot of those guys like to run a heavier barrel/setups to help with recoil management.
View Quote
Heavier guns are more stable.   And they have better heat dispersing capabilities
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:23:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mban2:

Heavier guns are more stable.   And they have better heat dispersing capabilities
View Quote
If hes really doing PRS hes going to be going through lots of barrels and if weights not a concern what's even the point of going carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:27:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RePp:

If hes really doing PRS hes going to be going through lots of barrels and if weights not a concern what's even the point of going carbon fiber.
View Quote
I shot two competitions this year with a brand new Savage rifle. With all my practice included, I’m only up to 1200 rounds down the barrel. It’s going to take me a decade, or so, to shoot out a barrel at that pace.

The biggest plus I can see for a carbon fiber barrel is maneuverability through awkward courses of fire. The 6.5cm has such low recoil that I’m not really sure how much barrel flip would be introduced by cutting the barrel weight in half.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2019 3:49:23 PM EDT by RePp]
Originally Posted By esa17:

I shot two competitions this year with a brand new Savage rifle. With all my practice included, I’m only up to 1200 rounds down the barrel. It’s going to take me a decade, or so, to shoot out a barrel at that pace.

The biggest plus I can see for a carbon fiber barrel is maneuverability through awkward courses of fire. The 6.5cm has such low recoil that I’m not really sure how much barrel flip would be introduced by cutting the barrel weight in half.
View Quote
That's a really light shooting schedule so ya your not going to shooting barrels our very often. If you want a proof barrel because it looks cool and you want it get it. Want is a perfectly acceptable justification. There's a reason heavy rifles in 6mm are the standard though. I would probably get a deviant action and a steel barrel personally.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2019 7:16:59 PM EDT by Rob01]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:33:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RePp:

That's a really light shooting schedule so ya your not going to shooting barrels our very often. If you want a proof barrel because it looks cool and you want it get it. Want is a perfectly acceptable justification. There's a reason heavy rifles in 6mm are the standard though. I would probably get a deviant action and a steel barrel personally.
View Quote
This guy is on the money!
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:26:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By esa17:

View Quote
The advantage of a lighter barrel to move during stages would be minimal to nonexistent. Recoil management in a PRS/NRL match rifle is all about being able to spot your own shots. It doesn’t take much movement to make that difficult, particularly on shorter (300-500 yd) stages. I’d go for the heaviest steel barrel they offer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:55:34 AM EDT
I'm not a PRS shooter, but I went with a PR carbon barrel for my FN SPR 6.5CM build. As others have said, the 6.5cm is a light recoiling round, why not shed some weight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:57:42 PM EDT
PRS is a good place for heavy steel barrels and stiff actions. You dont need to carry the rifle any distance and weight makes for a more stable rifle and less recoil.
Top Top