Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2018 1:33:27 AM EDT
I have a LaRue Stelth 18" barrel that I'm using for a light weight precision upper build.  Most of my lowers are Colt.  Is VLTOR still the go-to for the best precision upper?  I don't mind throwing money into this upper.  I don't need a forward assist or dust cover for that matter.  Recommend me a BCG too.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#1]
I'm happy with the VLTOR. Noveske is now selling the VLTOR MUR with the Noveske brand name on it. I think that in itself speaks to the quality. It is a forged upper but it's thicker and has been stress relieved, heat treated, aged twice and cryogenic treated. The drawback is that it is a little heavier than most but if you pair it up with one of their light weight hand guards, it makes up for it.

For BCG's, I like JP Rifles and Rubber City Armory. For light weight, JP has the light weight BCG and matching buffer. If you go that route, get it with the 5 pack of springs so you can tune the buffer to the rifle. You didn't mention gas block but if you're building a lightweight precision rifle you might want consider an adjustable. SLR and JP are my favorites. JP has a two piece adjustable with a detent that make it super easy to install and if you ever need to remove it you won't have to mess with your compensator.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You might consider a LaRue UU Kit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kind of likening this one.  Slick side, no dust cover.  Any of you familiar with this company?

https://www.cmttac.com/AR-15-Receivers/AR%2015%20CMT%20Billet%20Upper%20Receivers/slick%20side%20upper-ar15slicksideupper-upur3
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Cross Machine and Tool builds very good stuff.

I had one of their handguards but I swapped it for some other gear to a buddy because I had no builds on the horizon at the time.  It was extremely well made.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a Stealth 18" upper.....sold it for a JP 20" upper. It shoots circles around the LaRue....not even close. Incredible accuracy with the JP....I'm amazed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I use side chargers whenever possible. I like the right side reciprocating like an ak. Reduces blowback to the face exponentially with a can and easier to operate with a scope near the back of the receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top