Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2022 10:59:21 PM EDT
This suppressor will go on a .22lr bolt action... main use is squirrel hunting. With that being said, there are two critical factors for me when it comes to a suppressor: first round pop and ease of cleaning.

Those are the main factors! I've been reading a lot about the Dead Air Mask and the Q El Camino... any others?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I ordered the Mask on Monday, seems to be the go-to for most, my second choice was the Oculus.

New to all of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a Dead Air Mask at the end of March, last year.   Still waiting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Q El Camino. I was between that and a Deadair Mask but the El Camino was cheaper and lighter. I do not regret my decision at all
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HunterB93:
I went with the Q El Camino. I was between that and a Deadair Mask but the El Camino was cheaper and lighter. I do not regret my decision at all
View Quote

How's the first round pop? Being that I'll be squirrel hunting with a bolt action, that's essentially a primary factor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
On my Bolt .22 I have plenty of room to put a 9mm suppressor on it.

I believe it is much quieter than either my Sparrow or other can.

Still super easy to clean, and I can put it on many of my handguns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have an el Camino and it is super quiet makes the grade for “ Hollywood quiet”

When target shooting even first round the round hitting paper 50 yards away is louder than the shot
All you hear when using it ( attached to a savage mark 2) is the firing pin falling in the bolt
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I also have an el Camino and it is super quiet makes the grade for “ Hollywood quiet”

When target shooting even first round the round hitting paper 50 yards away is louder than the shot
All you hear when using it ( attached to a savage mark 2) is the firing pin falling in the bolt
View Quote

Good to know! Easy to clean?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ehul0000:

How's the first round pop? Being that I'll be squirrel hunting with a bolt action, that's essentially a primary factor.
View Quote

Id go Mask, Camino does have first round pop that you wont get with the Mask.  Buddy has an el Camino and I have a Mask.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mikego_34:

Id go Mask, Camino does have first round pop that you wont get with the Mask.  Buddy has an el Camino and I have a Mask.
View Quote

Good to know!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
For minimal FRP, I would get the Thunderbeast Takedown.  Absolute magic.  Mine get so much use I actually bought a second.
View Quote

Thanks for that additional option!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of good options out there. For me, once I went light, I didn't want to go back. But on a rifle, it's a little less noticeable.

My favorite is the Energetic Armament Nyx Mod1. I liked my first one enough that I bought a second. Have a friend who did exactly the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
In on this, looking to get my first one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Form 1 , make your own ?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924051653
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Oculus
With subsonic rounds the short configuration is still super quiet and I have no poi change.

Realistically most any of the quality brands will perform near the same.  Rimfire gets really dirty with lead that doesn’t just scrub off if you get any buildup.   Having SS baffles is top on my priority list having owned a tac52 with aluminum as my first suppressor.  
 If your a meticulous clean freak then so be it.  If your a person who goes a little over on cleaning or are just plain bad about it then go Stainless
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I got the convertible and multi caliber SilencerCo Switchback. Seems like a super light outstanding suppressor. It can be full length, half or 1/4.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/switchback-22/
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#17]
I know that I’m the odd-man-out, but I really like my nine-baffle, ($215) AAC Aviator 2 on my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Dead Air Mask last year and just was able to pick it up last week. It was exactly a year long wait from purchase date to approval but well worth it!  I'm very impressed with how quiet it is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Dead air mask
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]
NYX Mod1
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jrinfoley:
I bought a Dead Air Mask last year and just was able to pick it up last week. It was exactly a year long wait from purchase date to approval but well worth it!  I'm very impressed with how quiet it is.
View Quote

Nice, I am @ 300 days after cash my check, still waiting
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Nice, I am @ 300 days after cash my check, still waiting
View Quote
@ -KentuckyWindage- You should be very close to approval, good luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jrinfoley:
@ -KentuckyWindage- You should be very close to approval, good luck!
View Quote

@jrinfoley  thanks, I can’t wait!
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I'm down to the following list:

TBAC Takedown
Dead Air Mask
CGS Hydra SS
Rugged Oculus
EA Nyx Mod 1

With this list, is it just a matter of what's in stock/on sale when I purchase?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
I liked my TBAC Takedown so much I bought a second.
View Quote

I'm leaning toward TBAC or CGS (although I'm not crazy about the rainbow color).

The Nyx is intriguing for it's weight, but if there's ANY added FRP over the TBAC, Mask, or CGS, it's out.

The Oculus intrigues me, but I really don't need a modular can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm leaning toward TBAC or CGS (although I'm not crazy about the rainbow color).

The Nyx is intriguing for it's weight, but if there's ANY added FRP over the TBAC, Mask, or CGS, it's out.

The Oculus intrigues me, but I really don't need a modular can.
View Quote

I have never heard a TBAC Takedown, Mask, or CGS, but I can say I don't personally notice any significant FRP from my Nyx Mod1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ehul0000] [#28]
Originally Posted By PA452:

I have never heard a TBAC Takedown, Mask, or CGS, but I can say I don't personally notice any significant FRP from my Nyx Mod1.
View Quote

Is cleaning (taking apart, putting back together) pretty easy?

If there's virtually no FRP with the Nyx Mod 1, it checks a LOT of boxes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Is cleaning (taking apart, putting back together) pretty easy?

If there's virtually no FRP with the Nyx Mod 1, it checks a LOT of boxes.
View Quote

I think so personally. I really hate cleaning suppressors and tend to let them go much longer than I should. The last time I cleaned one of my Nyx Mod1 suppressors I bet it had at least 2500 rounds through it since the last time I had it apart and while it took some effort, I was still able to push the baffles out without any special tools.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoser] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone have an EA Nyx and a TBAC Takedown or Dead Air Mask?

I'm very curious how the Nyx compares to those two.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JW] [#32]
Rugged Oculus is a good choice .
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Honestly, I am in the same boat as well. First round pop, how quiet it is, and ease of cleaning are the biggest things for me. I was going to form one with some XRT Tactical parts, but then the ATF did what they normally do. Don't want to go quietbore as I don't want aluminum internals. So have been looking to see what is on the market. Alot has changed since I last looked. If all the cans that have been recommended, how are they on pistols as well?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top