Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2018 6:47:35 PM EDT
I was shooting my prairie dog AR today that has a Vortex AMG 6-24x. I was shooting at 200 yards and I noticed to get the clearest picture I had the parallax adjustment set between the 500 yard and infinity mark. Is this normal or do I have something set up wrong?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#1]
Adjust parallax until the reticle doesn’t move if you wiggle your head. The index numbers are irrelevant by in large.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By esa17:
Adjust parallax until the reticle doesn’t move if you wiggle your head. The index numbers are relevant by in large.
View Quote
This.

Everyone's eyes are different.  Adjust it to your eyes at a given distance.  Ignore the number on the dial.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
just adj till its clear, don't worry about it
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, did you ever adjust your diopter when you first got your scope mounted?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#6]
I adjusted my diopter. It was kind of wierd though. There was a pretty large range of rotation where the reticle appeared to be in focus.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, only looked for a second or two at a time a d then looked away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
A change in diopter will sometimes change the parallax position
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By l_Ferret_l:
I adjusted my diopter. It was kind of wierd though. There was a pretty large range of rotation where the reticle appeared to be in focus.

Thanks for the responses.
View Quote
I’d double check the diopter against a white background, just to be sure. I usually look away from the center and focus on a numbered stadia line, typically a 3 for some reason, and work to get that number as clear and sharp as possible. I did notice on my AMG’s that there was more adjustment required to see a noticeable difference compared to my Razor Gen2’s and ATACR’s, but once clear, it was apparent. Both AMG’s have been spot on from 100-500yds, but as others have said, it’s not that big of an issue....provided that you’re not running out of adjustment for extended ranges.

Hope you get it resolved. The AMG is a great scope and a tremendous value.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 6:25:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#12]
The first time I mounted the scope I did not have the proper torque. I did not have a torque wrench. The first time I took the scope to the range I found that I did not quite have the reticle straight. I then had a torque wrench and was able to torque the mount (a JP mount) to 18 inch pounds.

When I mounted the scope without a torque wrench I basically tightened the screws down in a figure 8 type pattern and then went about another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Here is what the setup looks like.

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Went out and shot again today, but this time at 400 yards. The parallax adjustment was almost the same for 400 yards, so I think I am good. I am probably just overthinking it. The rifle shot really well and the scope seemed to worked really well. With 55 grain Vmax at 2850 FPS and a 200 yard zero I dialed 6.25 MOA up on the turret and was able to hit a 4 inch going on my first attempt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember reading a comment from an optics company engineer or rep(I believe it was Vortex actually) and he was saying that slanted scope bases can affect your parralax adjustment and how the marks line up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Parallax adjustment is a bigger deal at close range than at long range.

If you go to an air rifle field target match, everybody will have white tape on their AO or their focus wheel, with numbers that correspond with the real range at which focus is perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top