Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2022 4:10:16 PM EDT
I ordered a PST II 3-15x44 from Midway that has intersecting crosshairs.  Euro Optic has one with open crosshairs that gives like a 1mm gap between the 4 connections.  Now if I paid the $15-$20 to return the one i have to Midway, I'd still save $10 buying from Euro Optic since it was $30 cheaper (and I missed that prior to order) AND Midway does not give free return shipping unless an item is defective.

However, accuracy-wise.... what is the preference....open/non-intersecting crosshairs or intersecting/closed?

If it's personal preference, what's the advantages or challenges of each?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Closed/intersecting crosshairs can obscure small targets, or more distant targets.  Some people prefer open crosshairs so they don't have the crosshairs obscuring the small or distant targets.

I have seen one crosshairs that split the difference between closed and open crosshairs by having the center of the crosshairs come to points that nearly disappear at the very center where they meet, sort of like fine arrow points...but I can't remember who made that crosshair.

I think it is more personal preference than anything.  I can work with either type but prefer a crosshair that almost disappears at the center where they meet...I don't like a coarse crosshair that obscures the center.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It's nothing to do with accuracy. It's to do with precision. FFP rets can occlude a bit of the target. I prefer an open center with a little teensy tiny dot in it but intersecting lines have never bothered me. One vs. the other difference in points is going to, more likely than not, be zero.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
You are comparing the 2C, open, to the 2D, closed. I have used the 2C a lot and like it but it comes down to your needs. The 2D, I believe, is the same dimensions as the 2C which is .18 moa/.052mils for the mail lines. Not overly thick so workable for precision shots and being FFP it covers the same amount of the target on any power. I personally like the open center for when I take shots are tiny dots or if the target had a small dot in the center to use as a very precise holding point. When yours arrives check out the 2D. Might be fine for you.
View Quote

Between the 2C and 2D, I went with closed. However, the EBR-7 which is open with a center dot is what I’d get if it had been available when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I run a razor with the EBR-2C reticle with the open center, it works great on smaller targets or when really reaching out there..I wish all of my scopes were setup with that reticle, it works damn good without being to busy....
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
One other thing to mention is if you like to use holds instead of dialing for elevation, the 2C has the numbers right next to the center axis which can be kind of annoying. The 2D has the numbers off to the side.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#8]
I would take a scope with closed crosshairs over one with a totally open center.  And I prefer an open crosshair with a dot center…..that’s the shit.  Ebr7-c.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top