Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2019 12:05:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 7:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#1]
In the world of ammunition to feed our "22 Rimfire Precision Rifles", where does Eley CMP Standard rank?  There is no Eley product for sale which uses the name "Standard".

The ammo costs $0.071 per round.  It appears that price includes shipping.  At that price, it fits in the price range of Eley Club ($7.00/50 rds) and Eley Target ($5.75/50 rds).
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#2]
This is good practice ammo. It's not on Eley's website because it is made exclusively for the CMP.

You aren't going to get Eley consistency and reliability at Remington Golden Bullet prices. There is nothing made in the U.S. that will be as accurate at any price.

Think of it as more-accurate CCI Standard Velocity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rodent:
This is good practice ammo. It's not on Eley's website because it is made exclusively for the CMP.

You aren't going to get Eley consistency and reliability at Remington Golden Bullet prices. There is nothing made in the U.S. that will be as accurate at any price.

Think of it as more-accurate CCI Standard Velocity.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.  "... more accurate than CCI standard velocity"

The context of my question is where it might fit in the Eley world.  Alternatively, how does it compare to Wolf Match Target or the SK line of ammo?  you know, in the context of precision 22LR ammo.

The CMP was selling cases of Remington ammo several years ago.  That ammo works reasonably well for me for practice.  I don't remember the price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

The context of my question is where it might fit in the Eley world.  Alternatively, how does it compare to Wolf Match Target or the SK line of ammo?  you know, in the context of precision 22LR ammo.

The CMP was selling cases of Remington ammo several years ago.  That ammo works reasonably well for me for practice.  I don't remember the price.
View Quote
I got my case yesterday. I’ll report back after I shoot some. It might be a while though, we’re getting ready to leave for an elk hunt on the 19th.  I’m not sure I’ll get a chance to shoot any before we go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RobertL:

I got my case yesterday. I’ll report back after I shoot some. It might be a while though, we’re getting ready to leave for an elk hunt on the 19th.  I’m not sure I’ll get a chance to shoot any before we go.
View Quote
Make sure you post up the results. Recently gotten into 22 shooting and always looking for something more precise than the usgi 22 ball I have. Was planning on buying a case of cci standard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@RobertL - any follow up on this ammo?

What part of MO are you in?  If you’re in the KC area & are willing I’d be up to buy 20ish rounds to try out in my daughters rifle. She’s getting started in 4H and we’re trying to see what rounds shoot best in her rifle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

What part of MO are you in?  If you’re in the KC area & are willing I’d be up to buy 20ish rounds to try out in my daughters rifle. She’s getting started in 4H and we’re trying to see what rounds shoot best in her rifle.
View All Quotes

@JAD762

My 10-22 Tactical doesn’t like it. The 10-22 is sub 3/8” at 25yds with FGMM and opens up to about 3/4” with the Eley. I’m picking up my Vudoo next Wednesday and I’m hoping it likes the Eley a lot better.  IM me your address and I’d be glad to send you some to try in your daughter’s rifle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
@JAD762

My 10-22 Tactical doesn’t like it. The 10-22 is sub 3/8” at 25yds with FGMM and opens up to about 3/4” with the Eley. I’m picking up my Vudoo next Wednesday and I’m hoping it likes the Eley a lot better.  IM me your address and I’d be glad to send you some to try in your daughter’s rifle.
View All Quotes

@JAD762

Thanks! PM forthcoming.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, @RobertL was good enough to ship me some ammo (thanks again btw!), so I thought I’d post how it stacked up compared to other rounds.

My daughter is wanting to shoot in 4H, so I got her a Savage MK 2 fvt. The reviews all said it was a top notch rifle, and man can it shoot. For $330 at Bass Pro it cant be beat.

We got it zeroed at 50 feet and shot for groups to see what shot best. Looks like it loves Eley, especially the CMP standard.

Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, @RobertL was good enough to ship me some ammo (thanks again btw!), so I thought I’d post how it stacked up compared to other rounds.

My daughter is wanting to shoot in 4H, so I got her a Savage MK 2 fvt. The reviews all said it was a top notch rifle, and man can it shoot. For $330 at Bass Pro it cant be beat.

We got it zeroed at 50 feet and shot for groups to see what shot best. Looks like it loves Eley, especially the CMP standard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/76D3136F-5A88-4E64-A147-D5B8E8B8F891-1210881.jpg
View Quote
That’s great! I’m glad it shoots well in her rifle.

I hope it shoots as well in my Vudoo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]

That’s great! I’m glad it shoots well in her rifle.

I hope it shoots as well in my Vudoo.
View Quote
Have you received your Vudoo and have you tried the Eley? I'm interested as I thought the Vudoo's chamber was cut for Lapua.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Defender3:

Have you received your Vudoo and have you tried the Eley? I'm interested as I thought the Vudoo's chamber was cut for Lapua.
View Quote
@Defender3

I have the rifle, but haven’t had it to the range yet. We split time between Missouri and Ohio and neither of those places lend themselves to winter shooting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]

@Defender3

I have the rifle, but haven’t had it to the range yet. We split time between Missouri and Ohio and neither of those places lend themselves to winter shooting.
View Quote
Don’t you just hate that?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

@Defender3

Oh, yea!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RobertL:

@Defender3

I have the rifle, but haven’t had it to the range yet. We split time between Missouri and Ohio and neither of those places lend themselves to winter shooting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RobertL:
Originally Posted By Defender3:

Have you received your Vudoo and have you tried the Eley? I'm interested as I thought the Vudoo's chamber was cut for Lapua.

@Defender3

I have the rifle, but haven’t had it to the range yet. We split time between Missouri and Ohio and neither of those places lend themselves to winter shooting.

@robertL
Any update with the V-22
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mc556:

@robertL
Any update with the V-22
View Quote

@mc556

We finally escaped Missouri and the Covid and have returned to Ohio and reunited with the rifle!  Now Ohio is enjoying biblical rains and flooding.

Hopefully, the sun will come out in a few days and I can get to the range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Bergara B14r right now but will most likely order a V-22 next week.  
At $354 this is a pretty good deal. I have a lot of Eley Contact 42g and CCi standard but always good to tuck back good practice ammo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got out and shot the Vudoo today with the Eley and a couple of other loads.  I shot a bunch of three shot groups and a couple of ten shot groups, all at fifty yards. The wind was a little gusty but not a bad day to shoot.

Here is the best three shot group with the Eley.

Here is the ten shot Eley group.

Here is the best group with FGMM.

Here is the ten shot FGMM group.

I had a little bit of CCI AR Tactical and it shot the best three shot group of the day, but I didn’t have enough of it to shoot a ten shot group.

Since the rifle liked the the CCI so well, I stopped by the gun store on the way home and picked up a brick of CCI Standard Velocity Target and I’ll give it a try next time.

I didn’t shoot any 100 yard groups, but I did shoot a little at the 100 yard steel. The Eley seemed to really settle in at a 100 yards. I picked out a clean spot on the steel and fired my first shot, then managed to keep about twenty rounds in the same splatter spot.  I’ll shoot some 100 yard groups next time and compare the Eley with the CCI target.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#19]
That eley looks better than what cci standard does in mind for 10 shots @ 50 yds..

Good shooting and info!
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:35:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#20]
Strange,...

All the group sizes for all the ammo brands/types appear to be determined by the vertical dispersion, despite you saying it was windy.

Do you think it is a solid value - bang for the buck?  Would you buy another case?

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Strange,...

All the group sizes for all the ammo brands/types appear to be determined by the vertical dispersion, despite you saying it was windy.

Do you think it is a solid value - bang for the buck?  Would you buy another case?

View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#23]
Strange,...

View Quote

Sorry for the slow response, I bought a house I’m remodeling and I haven’t been back to this thread or done any more shooting with the Vudoo.

Trollslayer, I’m sorry if You thought my description of the weather was some attempt to justify the performance of the rifle or the ammo. I just usually make note of the weather when I shoot groups. In my mind, “a little gusty” is a long way from “windy”.  If it’s a little gusty, you just wait for it too lay down. If it’s windy, you’re going to fight that all day.  The vertical dispersion is constant from brand to brand so it would have to be blamed on either the rifle or the shooter.  My money would definitely be on myself as the culprit!

As for buying a second case, I probably won’t  until I get a better handle on what the rifle likes. I think it’s a great value, but 5000 rounds is plenty of practice ammo if I find something I like better for matches. I also picked up a brick of Lapua Center-X at the LGS to have another round to compare if I ever get back to the range. So next time, I’ll have the Eley, the CCI Standard and the Lapua to try out.

Hopefully, I can get this damn house done and get back to the range.  Our local range has been having a few shoots despite the Plandemic and I’ve missed two IDPA shoots and a 22 PRS match.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:36:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#24]
Originally Posted By RobertL:  My money would definitely be on myself as the culprit![img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote

Congrats on the house!

I also believe that in all my shooting, rimfire and centerfire, I am the accuracy limiting factor.  It is difficult to prove, especially on the internet, but it is as clear a bell to me - the rounds go exactly where I put them.  If I was getting fliers (off-call shots), I would get rid of the ammo.  

So, the Eley shoots about as well as FGMM.  That's not bad at all.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Congrats on the house!

I also believe that in all my shooting, rimfire and centerfire, I am the accuracy limiting factor.  It is difficult to prove, especially on the internet, but it is as clear a bell to me - the rounds go exactly where I put them.  If I was getting fliers (off-call shots), I would get rid of the ammo.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RobertL:  My money would definitely be on myself as the culprit![url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Congrats on the house!

Trust me rimfire ammo is a limiting factor in a top shelf rifle if your chasing consistency.
It’s so damn frustrating when you have a .5 moa 100yard group only to hear that last shot have a velocity drop.
I shoot suppressed and it’s very noticeable when you have a hot or weak round.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texashark] [#26]
I've been playing with my CZ 452 Lux a lot lately. We're going to have a silhouette match at 200 meters in a couple of weeks.
Using this Eley standard I got a zero at 50/yds, then came up and got a 200 yd zero. I calculated a 300/yd drop and let her rip.

Thus is a 300 yd group with a first round hit.  The first shot is the high shot, then I adjusted and shot the group. It was so much fun I just kept shooting. My gun obviously likes the Eley from the CMP.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have a few boxes they would sell?
I really want to run some through my rifle before I buy 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy 10, you won't have any problem selling them if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By texashark:
Buy 10, you won't have any problem selling them if you don't like it.
View Quote

Decided to just buy more Center X
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I put in for a case a while back but it hasn't shipped yet. :( I can't wait to get it and try it out in my barely 10/22 when I get my hands on it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Any recent experience on how long this is taking to ship?  I placed an order about two weeks ago and don't believe they have even charged my card.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#32]
No longer on CMPs site.

That sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top