Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2021 4:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
For those who don't know, service rifle now has a catagory called AR Tactical.  Where one can bring a 20" or less AR and fire off a bipod, during the common mid-range match.  I took a rebarreled PSA AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor running a FAXON Gunner BBL, and a Primary Arms 3-18x scope (set to under 15x, eper match rules).  Iwent to two matches, one at 500 yards, that allowed me to shoot out of comptition with my muzzle break.  And another the next day at 600 yards, but I had to take the muzzle break off.  

Targets at these matches tend to be digital now, so you just bring an iPad and watch your impacts on the screen.  Makes the matches go very fast, since no pit duty or pit change.  

I ran 10 rounds at 500 yard range.  Ammo is Nolser basic 140 HPBT bullets and H4350

Very happy with that performance, a perfect score at 500 yards.  I ran from the magazine, and at 500 yards I just dialed in the clicks on my scope, to aim center-hold.

I ran 20 rounds at the 600 yard range.  On this one, I kept the 100 yard zero, and ran it using the 600 yard marking on the bullet-drop markings built into the scope.

Not quite as good, but a 197(out of 200) is pretty good.

Note the grid is MOA.  The purpose of this post was to show what kind of "typical" performance one can expect from such equipment, and to also let people know this is one route to fire such rifles at 600 yard distance, typically for just $20 for the match fee. Trick being you need to poke around your area and find out who does mid-range NRA and CMP matches.  You may be surprised how many do, and how easy it is to shoot via that route.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Note also that this isn't bench shooting where mechanical accuracy is necessarily the limiter.  In this sport, the ability to read the wind and consistently shoot shot after shot, to get 17 out of 20 rounds inside the ten ring, and the bleed kept into the 9 ring, is quite a bit different than shooting 1/2 MOA 5 shot strings at 100 yards.  And unlike PRS which is HIT/MISS, this sport will show you exactly where every hit went.  It's fun, and worth a shot.  The ARTactical catagory is neat, because you don't have to deal with slings and special shooting coats, and it's not F-Class either, with that rather... unique, gear-chase.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work. I also rebarreled a PA-10 with a Faxon 6.5 C barrel (18” heavy fluted in my case) and my initial shots were very promising.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:55:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
Nice work. I also rebarreled a PA-10 with a Faxon 6.5 C barrel (18” heavy fluted in my case) and my initial shots were very promising.
View Quote

Thanks.  Shots 11-14 are strings that drive you nuts!  When it ping pong back and forth like that, and you arnt't sure what to do!   But, got it back under control.  That's where I lost my 3 points.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Great performance. I love to see great shooting out of Large Frame AR's.

Thank You for sharing.

I'm curious, Did you use any "tuning tricks" for the barrel install ?  IE did you shim the RE into the upper or lap the upper receiver face ?

Also curious if the POI changed much with / without the Muzzle device ?

Again, Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

A friend installed did the barrel swap.  As far as I know, it's just a basic screw on the barrel nut install.  

POI pretty much didn't move at all.  Which kind of surprised me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top