BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Oryx chassis by MDT (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2019 11:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SSgt82-02]
Has anyone held the Oryx Chassis in their meat hooks, by chance already bought one or shot a rifle equipped with it?

I’ve been eyeing the B&C M40 w/DBM and the MDT LSS Gen2 and then that young Jarhead on 8451 Tactical had to show me the Oryx Chassis by MDT.

I’ve aquired a 700 ACC-SD 308 in a trade, I’ve already dumped the Houge stock for an old SPS Varmint stock as an intern while deciding which stock system to buy.

I’m not shooting PRS matches but I do enjoy accurate rifles for medium and long range plinking and hunting.

Grumpy Old Marine
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Havent touched one, but I do want one
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I am waiting for them to release options for the rifles I have but they are right now at the top of my list.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the whole thing aluminum? If so I wish I would have bought instead.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It is an aluminum base with polymer side panels.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, it’s not the Orynx but it’s another nice all aluminum chassis heavily discounted on dvor.
Am I able to post the link here?
Orias chassis
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bunyan:
OP, it’s not the Orynx but it’s another nice all aluminum chassis heavily discounted on dvor.
Am I able to post the link here?
Orias chassis
View Quote
Umm thanks never heard of Dvor now I get to spend all day on it
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently bought an Oryx chassis for my Savage 12FV and am very happy with how it turned out. I’m eventually looking to convert it from .223 to .308, as I also have a RPR in 5.58/.223 with a 1:7 barrel that handles the heavy bullet loads better than the 1:9 Savage. Getting back to the Oryx, it’s well made and finished and I like how the stock is integrated/included in the price. So many of the other chassis systems out there get too costly by the time you add cost of a stock and grip onto it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mediumrarechicken:

Umm thanks never heard of Dvor now I get to spend all day on it
View Quote
It's a "clearing house" of sorts for Optics Planet
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The oryx is a sweet budget minded chassis I've played with them a little bit, haven't shot one yet.
Couple guys run have been running them at my local prs matches.
You wont go wrong with it solid choice.
I have an lss XL gen 2 and it is another great option
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just posted this elsewhere about the hows 6.5 Grendel mini action:

The ORYX chassis arrived today, it's feels pretty nice but needs more LOP spacers. Action drops in perfectly and it's a nicely made chassis for the money.  Optics Planet has these - combined with 10% off and free shipping I think it was well worth the money. Now to get to the range.

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By maleante:
Just posted this elsewhere about the hows 6.5 Grendel mini action:

The ORYX chassis arrived today, it's feels pretty nice but needs more LOP spacers. Action drops in perfectly and it's a nicely made chassis for the money.  Optics Planet has these - combined with 10% off and free shipping I think it was well worth the money. Now to get to the range.

https://i.imgur.com/ixMUS0F.jpg
View Quote
Thanks Maleante for posting the photo, I look forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jibles] [#12]
I've got one on the way and it should be here this week. I'll throw a picture up as soon as I get it together. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot right away too. It'll be replacing a B&C M40 stock on my Howa.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jibles] [#13]
The Oryx came today and so far, I am very pleased. The adjustment's are nice and the fit to my Howa action was perfect. Magpul AICS mags were a little tight but not too bad and they fed perfectly. I ditched the MDT grip for a Hogue because it was a little too fat for my hands. I will be able to get to the range tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to a range report.  Do you have any other mag types besides the magpul to try?  I am under the impression that polymer MDT mags will work but MDT metal ones won't based on the Howa's receiver shape.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Magpul is all I've got for now. This is my first rifle that takes AICS mags so I haven't tried anything else out. I'll probably pick up a couple metal 10 rounders at some point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got the Oryx Chassis in for my Savage BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmore. The adjustment to the cheek riser was easy. It will be next weekend before I can shoot it. The Magpul AICS mags do ride high in the chassis. Not sure if all AICS style mags do; I only have Magpul mags. The feed lips drag on the bolt, but feeding is reliable. I don’t think a trim of the feed lips is needed for my mags.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mdThanatos:
Looking forward to a range report.  Do you have any other mag types besides the magpul to try?  I am under the impression that polymer MDT mags will work but MDT metal ones won't based on the Howa's receiver shape.
View Quote
The MDT metal mags work fine using the XLR Element chassis and a newer Howa short action.

I bought an MDT metal mag for my brother's Howa fully intending to do the receiver mod (which is simple).

There was no "lip" present in the action opening on his Howa action.  We believe Howa must have made some design changes within the last year.  The mag fit very well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for that, hopefully I get a newer one the next time brownells puts them on sale.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I’ve bit the hook and ordered an Oryx Chassis and some magazines for my 700-AAC.  It should all arrive next week so I’ll give a report when I can get out to the farm and try it out.°
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Good call. I love this chassis, it makes shooting the rifle MUCH nicer. I ended up switching to the big Ergo grip and adding some thin foam on the cheek piece.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up an Oryx chassis to go with a 6.5 Grendel Howa mini action about a month ago.  Impressed with the performance so far. 4th trip out with the rifle and made a few hits on my steel plate @900 yards today. Was a little worried about the stock not being easily adjustable but between myself and my son we both find the stock LOP comfortable. The only complaint would be the finish on the aluminum is flat and not very smooth so it is hard to cleanup if you care about that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWEIII] [#22]
Thought this might help others. Bought an Oryx for my Savage 12 in 6.5CM (SA).

Needed a mag and just picked up a Pmag 7.62 AC 10 (10 round AICS .308 pattern pmag) locally.

It would not seat or "click in".

After quick study and looking through the action I found two points on stock that stopped the mag from seating.  Got my fine files out and cut a notch in the front of the lips that hold the rounds in the mag -  where it contacted chassis.

Little at a time then try again, repeat, worked great, seats tight (good), feeds great.  Mag is a little tight going in/out but that will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Most AICS mgas require a small amount of fitting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWEIII] [#24]
Originally Posted By BruceLeroy:
Most AICS mgas require a small amount of fitting.
View Quote
Agreed.

Design based on one action then we go sticking them in all sorts of actions.  The Pmag AICS platform mags are designed for their stock and REM 700 actions (as I understand it).

My buddy tweaked his AI and AM AICS pattern mags to his Badger bottom metal in a HS stock with REM 700 action... they fit great in my ORYX chassis with Savage Action.

I will buy the MDT metal mags.  Just needed this one right away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to replace my howa bravo stock with the oryx.
Waiting for the right time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Apparently Black Friday was the day.  I am impressed as heck and for $400??  No brainer.

I picked up the LOP spacers too ($20). Sling screw from plastic Savage stock is same thread pattern so it is on Oryx.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#27]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one that I built with a Howa 6.5 Grendel barreled action.

I like it so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I have "held" an Oryx chassis at my local gunshot and it seemed like a great option for the price, it was solidly built. I have a Savage  6.5 Creedmoor that I hated the accustock, put the action in a MDT gen 2 XL and love it! - however the cost was pretty much twice the cost of the Oryx. I'm going to build another rifle soon (not sure what caliber) and considering the Oryx and the new MDT XRS chassis system for $499, another good option for the price.

I would NOT hesitate to purchase either one. The "plus" side of the Oryx right now is they have alot more options available. The new MDT chassis has only one option....Remington 700, which is no surprise.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:
I have one that I built with a Howa 6.5 Grendel barreled action.

I like it so far.
View Quote
I did the same thing, I bought the action from Brownells and the stock from Oryx/MDT. I changed the grip out for the MDT adjustable one and bought the extended bolt knob from Legacy Sports. It is a fun all day shooter and the chassis is pretty conferrable once you get it setup.

Oryx/MDT have come out with a few new addons, like a full ARCA rail...FYI
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lost_Phil:

I did the same thing, I bought the action from Brownells and the stock from Oryx/MDT. I changed the grip out for the MDT adjustable one and bought the extended bolt knob from Legacy Sports. It is a fun all day shooter and the chassis is pretty conferrable once you get it setup.

Oryx/MDT have come out with a few new addons, like a full ARCA rail...FYI
View Quote
Extended bolt knob you say?

How’s accuracy with yours?
My best handloads float around .6ish moa
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
The extended bolt knob is a bolt on that runs 24.99$ and will be listed under Howa when Legacy International has them in stock. Tactical Works sells them as well: Tactical Bolt Knob

I just loaded 60 rounds with Win 748 and Berger 130 VLD's and hope to try them out tomorrow. For factory ammo, Hornady ELD 123's are around 3/4" to an 1" and the Federal 130 Berger AR are around 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. It seems that mine like the heaver bullets. I would like to see what the Berger 100 BT's would do pushed at high speed (Win 748 30.2 = 2840 FPS  at 100% case fill).
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doorman63] [#33]
The extended bolt knob is a bolt on that runs 24.99$ and will be listed under Howa when Legacy International has them in stock. Tactical Works sells them as well: Tactical Bolt Knob

I just loaded 60 rounds with Win 748 and Berger 130 VLD's and hope to try them out tomorrow. For factory ammo, Hornady ELD 123's are around 3/4" to an 1" and the Federal 130 Berger AR are around 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. It seems that mine like the heaver bullets. I would like to see what the Berger 100 BT's would do pushed at high speed (Win 748 30.2 = 2840 FPS  at 100% case fill).
View Quote
I Chronod some 107 SMK with 28gr win 748 (.6 MOA) at 2310ish.

I have some 123 SMK loaded with 748 and TAC and I’ll be checking those soon.

How does your magazine interface with the chassis?
Mine needs to be pushed in quite hard to fully “click”.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lost_Phil] [#34]
I had the same issue until I retightened the action with a mag installed. Now all 3 of my mags install and release easer. (Bought them at Legacy International for two at 79$.)

Loosen the action until you can just move it, then install the mag and wiggle the action until the mag releases easer.

Who's 107 SMK's? Sierra?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I had the same issue until I retightened the action with a mag installed. Now all 3 of my mags install and release easer. (Bought them at Legacy International for two at 79$.)

Loosen the action until you can just move it, then install the mag and wiggle the action until the mag releases easer.

Who's 107 SMK's? Sierra?
View Quote
Excellent advice!!
Thank you.
Did you torque action screws or 1/4 turn past snug? I did 1/4 past snug
Yes-Sierra
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a wheeler torque wrench that I used to tightened the action screws to 60 inch pounds.

Wheeler torque wrench
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a wheeler torque wrench that I used to tightened the action screws to 60 inch pounds.

Wheeler torque wrench
View Quote
I have that wrench as well

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I have the ORYX chassis for my Savage 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Love it.  Posting to discuss mags.

I have only tried the Magpul AICS pattern mag.  A buddy has AI and AM metal mags (.308) that I hope to try.  What I see regarding AICS pattern mags, regardless of make and material - they all need to be tweaked.

Regarding MY Magpul AICS mag and MY ORYX chassis for My Sagave 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor:

To get the mag, originally designed for Magpul Rem 700 pattern actions, to seat I took a rat tail file across the face of the feed lips where I saw contact points on the inside of the Oryx Chassis.  The notch was about 1/8" deep, I rounded/smoothed the transition and does not affect feeding.  Mag seats tight now.

It dropped free and fed great, but could be a little smoother so:

For ease of insert/removal and lockup, I took a file to the front and rear "sides" where the molding form seams.  Got that tip from a youtube video, search Magpul AICS modification or something.  Also ran the file over the top corners and leading edges.  Might round off the top corners just to aid insertion.

Intend to use for PRS matches, not many rounds/field use yet so time will tell.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:

I Chronod some 107 SMK with 28gr win 748 (.6 MOA) at 2310ish.

I have some 123 SMK loaded with 748 and TAC and I’ll be checking those soon.

How does your magazine interface with the chassis?
Mine needs to be pushed in quite hard to fully “click”.
View Quote

If you did not get one yet, Tactical Works has the them in stock. I just bought two more with free shipping.

As for the Oryx chassis, I like the one I used for my 6.5 Grendel build. They (MDT) just came out with a ARCA rail for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bushman_269] [#40]
Has anyone tried the Ruger polymer mags for the Scout and RPR in the Savage Oryx chassis?  I know that the Magpul mags can be hit or miss but the MDT mags work without any problem in my Savage Model 16 with top bolt release.  I am trying to find a 5 round hunting magazine and would prefer polymer over metal.

Edited to add that caliber is .308
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#41]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
Has anyone tried the Ruger polymer mags for the Scout and RPR in the Savage Oryx chassis?  I know that the Magpul mags can be hit or miss but the MDT mags work without any problem in my Savage Model 16 with top bolt release.  I am trying to find a 5 round hunting magazine and would prefer polymer over metal.
View Quote

The .223 Rem mags from my RPR fit my Oryx in 6.5 Grendel but they will not work with the cartridge. So I got a .224 Valkyrie mag from Oryx that is running Great! You would have to block it to convert from 7 to 5 rounds. What caliber are you running? I converted a Polymer 7.62 Magpul AICS mag to 6.5 Grendel but it's not as reliable as I would like especially on the last round.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The caliber is .308.  Someone on the Oryx site replied that the Ruger mags "should" work but may require some fitting.  Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as they are more reasonable to purchase than the 10 round MDT mags and the 5 rounders would be legal for hunting in my State.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
The caliber is .308.  Someone on the Oryx site replied that the Ruger mags "should" work but may require some fitting.  Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as they are more reasonable to purchase than the 10 round MDT mags and the 5 rounders would be legal for hunting in my State.
View Quote

Is it staggered feed if so the RPR mags should work great. Some of the single feed Savage rifles like the MDT style single feed better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, staggered feed top bolt release.  Thanks brother!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I just installed my 10FP staggered feed action .308 into an Oryx yesterday. Short answer is, I love it! I bought one MDT poly 10 round mag with it, and it works great. I had to remove the blind magazine box from the action. I used a brass punch on the back of the box just in front of the trigger, and it popped right out. Fit and finish were great, and the MDT AICS mag feeds like a charm. I'm going to get some Magpul AICS mags locally (cheaper) and if I have to file them a little, so be it. I need to  get out and shoot this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Markypie:
I just installed my 10FP staggered feed action .308 into an Oryx yesterday. Short answer is, I love it! I bought one MDT poly 10 round mag with it, and it works great. I had to remove the blind magazine box from the action. I used a brass punch on the back of the box just in front of the trigger, and it popped right out. Fit and finish were great, and the MDT AICS mag feeds like a charm. I'm going to get some Magpul AICS mags locally (cheaper) and if I have to file them a little, so be it. I need to  get out and shoot this.
View Quote

In my chassis with similar setup (staggered feed, top bolt release) the Magpul 10 round mag locks in and will feed with some effort.  The 5 round Magpuls I have will not seat fully and engage the locking lug on the mag.  The 10 round MDT mags work well and feed smoothly.  I also picked up a couple of Savage marked 10 rounders off Egay that appear identical to the MDT mags.  They were cheaper than ordering from MDT and I suspect that Savage just purchased a bunch of MDT mags and had them branded for them.

I am very pleased with the chassis system and once I find 5 round mags that I can use for hunting will be all set.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Just picked up this chassis myself. It wasn't in stock many places for the T3X but I found one and it should be here Tuesday. Trying to get my new 6.5CM put together before I head to the inlaws and our 800 yard range.

If anyone is looking, Shoot Point Blank has a sale on the Magpul AICS mags for $29.99.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Can someone who had to file on the Magpul mags post a picture or three?

Just took my Oryx out with a Tikka T3 action and really liked it except the mags wouldn't seat. I filed off the spots that appears to contact but still no luck..
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Its the magazine release lever that is your issue, it is too long. Try emailing Oryx and see if they have a shorter one that they can send out to you. Or you could pull it and file it down until the mags fit a smidge loose.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSgt82-02] [#50]
I realized I never updated this post with what I did for a chassis, I choose the Oryx.

I had the 700 action blueprinted and re-barreled in 6.5CM by Rose Action Sports in Ky.  The optic is a PA 3-18 6.5CM Apollo and the can is a Form 1 can I built some years ago.

Still playing with loads but it’s showing good promise.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Oryx chassis by MDT (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top