Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2020 8:35:12 PM EDT
Found a 7.62 40X for what I think is a good deal. It's the older model with the stainless barrel(looks almost M24 contour) with a blued action, jeweled bolt and wood stock with a Euro style rail.

What do you think these are worth?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It's very hard to offer an accurate value without seeing it.  For reference, Collector's Firearms seems to have a minty one that they're proud of:  https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/remington-40-x-7-62x51-r23400/

If the one in question has been modified, that could bring more variation, too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akmike47] [#3]
It's the model with an internal magazine. My only issue is the muzzle was dropped/drug on concrete or something.

https://imgur.com/a/tF6AywL
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#5]
Yikes.

ETA: Just got on the computer and looked again, those really are horrible photos...but like Aero said, it appears the damage is around the outer circumference and doesn't affect the crown. What else is wrong with it though?  Could the [fall] onto the muzzle have caused other damage down the chain from barrel to action?

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
iPhone 5 trying to take really close pictures, those were the good ones....haha.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Yikes.

ETA: Just got on the computer and looked again, those really are horrible photos...but like Aero said, it appears the damage is around the outer circumference and doesn't affect the crown. What else is wrong with it though?  Could the [fall] onto the muzzle have caused other damage down the chain from barrel to action?

View Quote

Everything else appears fine the stock isn't dented/scratched so I really don't think it fell,
More like some moron drug it across something.

May see if I can get it, take it to a smith, and get a refund if it's toast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd start at $375.00 and haggle to $450.00. If the guy will mount a optic and let you shoot it maybe go to $550.00. If it shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Akmike47:
iPhone 5 trying to take really close pictures, those were the good ones....haha.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
iPhone 5 trying to take really close pictures, those were the good ones....haha.

Everything else appears fine the stock isn't dented/scratched so I really don't think it fell, 
More like some moron drug it across something.

May see if I can get it, take it to a smith, and get a refund if it's toast.

Gotcha. I say go for it then, may not be pretty but also may be a good shooter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a store I can get it for about 500 I think. The rifle is clean it's just the muzzle. Got a little better picture of the bore. It doesn't look eroded in person it's all the shadows in the barrel and an old camera https://imgur.com/QcWWBhd
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
First step, run a dry Q-Tip down the muzzle end to check the crown.
With that sight it's not the "Heavy" barreled 40X.
Being a repeater, I'd check the throat.
Trigger: 40X or 40X 2 ounce?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
These rifles can have the crap shot out of them or be in near new condition. This was one of the only bolt action match rifles available straight from the factory for decades. Wear on the jeweled bolt should be a good indicator of use. Pictures won't post on my computer.

There is nothing wrong with having that barrel recrowned and even set back and rechambered if the throat is worn. I put 20 shots in row through the X-ring prone on the easy NRA 200 yard target (offhand & rapid sitting @ 200 yards) with a used 40-X using iron sights and a sling. These rifles are excellent straight from the factory. Mine wasn't even glass bedded when I bought.

They really need a bolt extension ($70) to improve handling, but other than that they are hammers. I would buy it in a heartbeat for $700+.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rudison:
First step, run a dry Q-Tip down the muzzle end to check the crown.
With that sight it's not the "Heavy" barreled 40X.
Being a repeater, I'd check the throat.
Trigger: 40X or 40X 2 ounce?
View Quote

2.5 pounds is the usual limit on these 40X triggers. It's meant for across the course tournaments, not bench rest.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

Gotcha. I say go for it then, may not be pretty but also may be a good shooter.
View Quote

It's a pretty rifle, just has a dicked up muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rudison:
First step, run a dry Q-Tip down the muzzle end to check the crown.
With that sight it's not the "Heavy" barreled 40X.
Being a repeater, I'd check the throat.
Trigger: 40X or 40X 2 ounce?
View Quote

It's about a pound I'd guess, I have a lot of experience with triggers down to 2 ounces and that's my best guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top