Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2018 7:26:05 PM EDT
I hope I’m posting this in the right place - I’m brand new to the world of bolt action rifles and recently bought a Ruger precision rifle in .308.  I also got a nightforce shv 5-20x56mm and nightforce ultralite extra high six screw rings.

My question is about mounting the scope.  I was going to have the lgs’s smith do it, but after speaking with them I’m not so sure.  Now I’m thinking about doing it myself.  I’ve watched a few videos and read a few articles.  A local store has the wheeler mounting kit in stock.

Is it advisable for a newbie to mount it?  What else would I need beside the mounting kit?  I only have access to a 100 yd indoor range - is that sufficient?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a combo of stuff..I have two electronic levels , a plumb bob and a good gun rack if not working on a rifle with a bipod..
I level the rifle off the bolt rails, check to make sure the optic rail and the stock/chassis both fall within level as well, then set the scope on and set it for eye relief and everything..I then hang the plumb bob and insure the reticle is perfect to the reticle while maintaining the action level... takes a bit of practice to get it right but go slow and stick with it till its perfect...My final check is to sight thru it both right and left handed and feel if they scope is centered...

My basic scope tools...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.  I’m gonna give it a go myself and see how it turns out.  I have a bipod, but no vice.  Will that be an issue?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lawdawg04:
Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.  I’m gonna give it a go myself and see how it turns out.  I have a bipod, but no vice.  Will that be an issue?
View Quote
Nope..all that matters is when you are done everything is in plumb..stock/action/rail and reticle...On my hunting rifle I use the bipod to set it all up...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Nope..all that matters is when you are done everything is in plumb..stock/action/rail and reticle...On my hunting rifle I use the bipod to set it all up...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Once you’re done with above advice take a 24” level to the range and draw a line and level it up vertically. Then test your tracking once you have a good zero. Then measure your group to make sure your scope is tracking the right amount.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Once you’re done with above advice take a 24” level to the range and draw a line and level it up vertically. Then test your tracking once you have a good zero. Then measure your group to make sure your scope is tracking the right amount.
View Quote
Very true..should have added that..It is called a tall target test, I combine it with a box test..the idea is to insure. your elevation adjustments track straight up and they move the right Moa amount for the distance...the box test adds windage into it...All aiming is done at the center bottom dot, adjustments move POI to each spot..verifying plumb reticle and proper scope tracking...

Mine is 5moa per adjustment...(1.047"x5=5.235")
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawdawg04] [#6]
Much appreciated.  It’s mounted.  Only took about 5 hours of reading instructions, watching video, measuring, leveling, adjusting, and doing it all over again....and again.  Dawgs were losing anyway - don’t think they’ll be ranked 2d come Monday.  I’ll find out tomorrow how well it worked out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawdawg04] [#7]
I followed your advice and got the scope, rail, and stock level and reticle plumb.  The odd thing is that when I look through the scope, the reticle appears canted slightly counter clockwise (11:58 instead of 12:00), but it also appears plumb.  I noticed that if I switch sides and look through it with my left eye, it appears slightly canted clockwise, but still plumb.  When I adjust the rifle so that the reticle appears the way it should, nothing is level or plumb.  Any idea what might be causing that?  Is it my eyes or did I get something wrong when I mounted it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I followed your advice and got the scope, rail, and stock level and reticle plumb.  The odd thing is that when I look through the scope, the reticle appears canted slightly counter clockwise (11:58 instead of 12:00), but it also appears plumb.  I noticed that if I switch sides and look through it with my left eye, it appears slightly canted clockwise, but still plumb.  When I adjust the rifle so that the reticle appears the way it should, nothing is level or plumb.  Any idea what might be causing that?  Is it my eyes or did I get something wrong when I mounted it?
View Quote
Mine does the same..that is you not the rifle...congrats...
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawdawg04] [#9]
Thanks.  Getting old ain’t easy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I've ever once had a rifle that sat "level" in practice. To the point that on my non precision rigs I just get in a comfy position with the scope soft mounted and adjust it till it LOOKS level and I have the eye relief right for the position I will most use the rifle. The end result is NEVER level by the bubbles, but it means that in practice it's right. On the precision stuff where I'll actually check a level while shooting and that stuff will actually matter I do make sure everything agrees about what is plumb. I got sick of my other rifles always looking a bit off, and if I'm gonna be holding it that way then the scope tracks properly if I adjust it to be aligned accordingly. It is technically wrong, practically correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top