Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
I just bought a Safety harbor SHTF rifle.  Looking at ammo.  I like the price of the PMC 660 grain FMJ-BT ammo.  Is it worth buying?  I'm shooting 200 yards.  No competitions, just putting holes in paper.  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
At 200 yards ammo section isn't very important... PMC  will do excellent

The 50 is an inhearantly accurate round, I wouldn't worry about match ammo at all until you go past 1000 yards (heck even then bulk ammo is fine)

I'd be thinking more about what optics to use lol

I'd assume the bare minimum would be a 8x. I'd personally probably go with a 12x or something
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I already have that covered.  I have a SWFA SS10x42 mounted on the rifle.  For my yardage, I'm thinking that will be more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent optic choice

Now then, at 200 lets see some grapefruit turned into clouds

Also not to be a safety-Sally but remember 200 yards is pretty close for a 50 so caution ricochets

I assume you have a soft sand backdrop or similar

If you want to be really hard core maybe wear a surplus PASGT helmet and look bad-ass
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the SWFA 20x42 on my BA50. So far everything has worked great out to 500 yards with just m33 ball ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RealFitness86:
Excellent optic choice

Now then, at 200 lets see some grapefruit turned into clouds

Also not to be a safety-Sally but remember 200 yards is pretty close for a 50 so caution ricochets

I assume you have a soft sand backdrop or similar

If you want to be really hard core maybe wear a surplus PASGT helmet and look bad-ass
View Quote

Sadly, I can only poke holes in paper at my range.  I can go back home to WV and shoot from one mountain to another and most places in between.  I'm sure I'll find a "friend" who will let me shoot on their farm if they can shoot along with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top