Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2019 4:40:58 PM EDT
The title says it all. I’m planning on zeroing at 100 yards and wonder what the consensus was. My scope is a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 with the EBR-2D reticle which should allow me to use holdover out quite some ways.  Are there any pros or cons to either method?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Dial
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I dial the initial shot, if I need to make a quick second shot I will holdover, but any other follow up shots will get dialed as well...
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Dial.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobbybananas] [#4]
I’d consider a better long range zero. And really the answer depends on if you are bench rest shooting or needing to make quick shots. Also very heavily depends on the reticle you have. A plain X hair is going to be sketchy trying to hold over and I’d want to dial it every time.

Edit. I missed where you mentioned the reticle. That one certainly gives you the option for precision hold over
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
The title says it all. I’m planning on zeroing at 100 yards and wonder what the consensus was. My scope is a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 with the EBR-2D reticle which should allow me to use holdover out quite some ways.  Are there any pros or cons to either method?
View Quote
Both depending upon situation.

The pro to holdover is when you are at zero and the amount you need to holdover is a multiple of mil. Much quicker and easier than turning the dial.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Dial.

But I'm not shooting large steel plates.  My 600 yard shooting is on bullseye targets for score.

In a PRS-style match, I could see using dial and hold over, depending on circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
With that reticle, holds are faster until you reach the limits.  For example, I have the same scope on my 18" Grendel.  Holds are good to maybe 800Y from memory.  1K is around 13 mil, so you run out of holds at some point.  .308 is somewhere around 10 and 6.5CM is in the mid 8's (again, from memory)

like always, YMMV and it depends on what you are shooting and distances.  You will have more precision via dialing for sure

Do both and see what you like.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jd2395:
With that reticle, holds are faster until you reach the limits.  For example, I have the same scope on my 18" Grendel.  Holds are good to maybe 800Y from memory.  1K is around 13 mil, so you run out of holds at some point.  .308 is somewhere around 10 and 6.5CM is in the mid 8's (again, from memory)

like always, YMMV and it depends on what you are shooting and distances.  You will have more precision via dialing for sure

Do both and see what you like.
View Quote
I think I’ll try both. I’m shooting 6.5 Creedmoor so I think I’ll be able to use holds for quite a ways out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
both. depends purely on how much time I have. If I have 10 shots in 120 seconds on 6 different targets I sure ain't going to be dialing. When I have plenty of time, dial.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again guys. I’ll practice both methods.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bobbybananas:
I’d consider a better long range zero. And really the answer depends on if you are bench rest shooting or needing to make quick shots. Also very heavily depends on the reticle you have. A plain X hair is going to be sketchy trying to hold over and I’d want to dial it every time.

Edit. I missed where you mentioned the reticle. That one certainly gives you the option for precision hold over
View Quote
I can’t see a single possible reason to have a zero other than 100 unless you’re playing the extreme ELR game where you’re running out of elevation in both the reticle and turrets.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again guys. I’ll practice both methods.
View Quote
Good idea to also test the turret tracking, if you haven't already.

Use a tall target. Shoot, dial, shoot, dial, through the range of adjustments, not just up and down, but left and right if you intend to dial for windage as well.

Most top-of-the-line scopes have pretty accurate turrets, but the further out you intend to shoot, the more critical the precision is.

With the mid to lower scopes, there's enough variability in the production standards, that 2 of the exact same model of scope, may exhibit differences in turret tracking.

That's one argument for holding vs dialing. The reticles are laser etched, and tend to be much more precise for consistency.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Good idea to also test the turret tracking, if you haven't already.

Use a tall target. Shoot, dial, shoot, dial, through the range of adjustments, not just up and down, but left and right if you intend to dial for windage as well.

Most top-of-the-line scopes have pretty accurate turrets, but the further out you intend to shoot, the more critical the precision is.

With the mid to lower scopes, there's enough variability in the production standards, that 2 of the exact same model of scope, may exhibit differences in turret tracking.

That's one argument for holding vs dialing. The reticles are laser etched, and tend to be much more precise for consistency.
View Quote
I haven’t shot the rifle yet but plan to do a tall target test. Does anyone have a source for tall targets?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I rarely dial but I was taught by a guy who holds most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#18]

I haven’t shot the rifle yet but plan to do a tall target test. Does anyone have a source for tall targets?
View Quote
Just make your own, they are pretty easy, this is a combined tall(vertical) and box(horizontal) target, I used it for my razor 2 4.5-27-56 scope...Set up at precisely 100 yards(tape measure if you have to but must be correct 100 yard).. all aiming at aim point while you crank your dials..go up, then crank back to zero and make sure it shoots zero again...You also need to level the target when its setup and also make sure your rifle/scope is level when you shoot so you can verify the reticle isn't diagonal-ing off target as you dial...

Attachment Attached File

ETA: So I shoot the tall part, come back to zero, then dial left 5, then up 20, then right 10, then down 20, then left 5 back to zero...

1mil = 3.6" at 100yards
1moa = 1.047" at 100 yards
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I dial the initial shot, if I need to make a quick second shot I will holdover, but any other follow up shots will get dialed as well...
View Quote
This depending on the range. Some targets within 300 I will hold over on if I'm worried about time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Dial
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I typically dial for my elevation adjustment and hold for windage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on time alotted and moa target

For work sometimes there is no time to dial in...same for certain prs stages....if i have the extra time ill dial
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#23]
It sounds like the general consensus is, time permitting dial. If time is of the essence, hold over.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I use both depending both depending on the situation.  Dialing is more precise.  However, if there are a number of targets to engage in a short time, and they aren't too far out, it is faster to use the reticle.

However, if your reticle is too "busy", it can take longer to find the correct hash mark in the reticle for the distance you require than to dial.  Like anything, dialing up and down takes practice.

If you can quickly engage by using hash mark 2,5,6,3 in the reticle for targets not requiring very precise hits (larger targets where + or - 1.5" won't matter much) then holding can be faster.   On something like a know your limits stage where the targets are barely MOA size, you really need the precision of knowing exactly where your bullet's elevation will strike.

So I practice and use both methods and adapt to the situation or course of fire.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Dial
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
The answer is “It depends”.

Do I need to be as precise as possible?
Do I have plenty of time?
Dial.

Is getting the shot off quick more important because moving target/threat?
Is it an easy shot (large target, no wind)?
Hold-over/off
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m good with both. Like other say it depends on time although I prefer to used hold over as not all of my optics are zero stop.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Either depending on circumstance
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#29]
yea, it depends.

and the depends part includes how the OP defines long range, and the caliber we are talking.

zero too close for how I define long range and what I use to shoot it, ymmv
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been shooting long range in some type of formal setting now for 25 years, always chasing how to do it more efficiently with minimal distractions to the shooter.

I've used all different types of scopes, including BDC reticles, TGT turrets, Mil and MOA hash reticles/turrets, Horus reticles, and other stadia-based holdover reticles.

The biggest determining factors that I take into consideration for which method (stadia holds vs dialing elevation) I will use are:

* Terrain
* TGT size
* Caliber

Terrain and Caliber
What I've seen in more green environments with dark soil and smaller calibers (6.5mm and less) is that it's very hard to get a register in the dirt when you miss, which really makes it hard to get your follow-up shot if you're spotting for yourself.  Larger projectiles (7mm 180gr and up like 300 Win Mag, .338 Lapua Mag) do more "plowing" in the soil, and usually give you a register with your long range miss, provided the glass is good enough to see that.

With 6mm and 6.5mm, I've found it much harder to see the shot register at distances in green/dark soil terrain.  This affects both methods, but seems a little more troublesome for me when using the holdover tree reticles because it's harder to bracket an unknown.

Out here in the Western US in high desert or dry, desert terrain, the stadia reticles work very well in this regard, since you often see a very noticeable dust-up on impact.

TGT size
For man-sized silhouettes, IPSC plates, 18" stop signs, and even 12" or 10" plates out to a certain distance, the stadia tree reticles seem to work very well in conjunction with real-time atmospheric data.  I actually take my 12" barreled 6.5 Grendel out of the soft case, insert a mag, and immediately start engaging 24"x36" buffalo steel at 800yds with some of the most mediocre BC 120-123gr loads there are, and get 9/10 hits after the initial register, and that's using a 1-4x24 GRSC scope.

I'll be doing some more work with the 12", only using the new 1-10x30 FSO GRSC, which has even more elevation in the reticle to play with.

When the plate sizes get small like in a PRS match, I'm more of a fan of dialing with a scope that has excellent glass clarity and a small center cross with relevant Mil hash holds on the horizontal crosshair for wind holds.

Even when I dial, I almost always hold for wind due to the wind's variable nature.  I observe the wind effects and change my wind hold constantly, similar to how HUD symbology works for Lead Computing Optical Sight in fighter aircraft.  When I spot for people, my windage calls are the calls for taking the shot, so I just give the shooter constant holds as the wind changes so the shooter can break the shot whenever they're ready.  It takes quite a bit of experience to read the wind like that and give accurate holds in Mils, but is a critical skill for having high hit probability at long range.

If you're shooting 6.5CM, it's pretty forgiving in the trajectory department, especially if you shoot 123s or 130gr, so either method will work well for you in that regard, but when shooting 2 MOA or smaller plates, you might want to dial.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
I've been shooting long range in some type of formal setting now for 25 years, always chasing how to do it more efficiently with minimal distractions to the shooter.

I've used all different types of scopes, including BDC reticles, TGT turrets, Mil and MOA hash reticles/turrets, Horus reticles, and other stadia-based holdover reticles.

The biggest determining factors that I take into consideration for which method (stadia holds vs dialing elevation) I will use are:

* Terrain
* TGT size
* Caliber

Terrain and Caliber
What I've seen in more green environments with dark soil and smaller calibers (6.5mm and less) is that it's very hard to get a register in the dirt when you miss, which really makes it hard to get your follow-up shot if you're spotting for yourself.  Larger projectiles (7mm 180gr and up like 300 Win Mag, .338 Lapua Mag) do more "plowing" in the soil, and usually give you a register with your long range miss, provided the glass is good enough to see that.

With 6mm and 6.5mm, I've found it much harder to see the shot register at distances in green/dark soil terrain.  This affects both methods, but seems a little more troublesome for me when using the holdover tree reticles because it's harder to bracket an unknown.

Out here in the Western US in high desert or dry, desert terrain, the stadia reticles work very well in this regard, since you often see a very noticeable dust-up on impact.

TGT size
For man-sized silhouettes, IPSC plates, 18" stop signs, and even 12" or 10" plates out to a certain distance, the stadia tree reticles seem to work very well in conjunction with real-time atmospheric data.  I actually take my 12" barreled 6.5 Grendel out of the soft case, insert a mag, and immediately start engaging 24"x36" buffalo steel at 800yds with some of the most mediocre BC 120-123gr loads there are, and get 9/10 hits after the initial register, and that's using a 1-4x24 GRSC scope.

I'll be doing some more work with the 12", only using the new 1-10x30 FSO GRSC, which has even more elevation in the reticle to play with.

https://oi1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3783a115-51d3-475a-bdc6-7ed239d6130d_zps0ulu9abi.jpg

When the plate sizes get small like in a PRS match, I'm more of a fan of dialing with a scope that has excellent glass clarity and a small center cross with relevant Mil hash holds on the horizontal crosshair for wind holds.

Even when I dial, I almost always hold for wind due to the wind's variable nature.  I observe the wind effects and change my wind hold constantly, similar to how HUD symbology works for Lead Computing Optical Sight in fighter aircraft.  When I spot for people, my windage calls are the calls for taking the shot, so I just give the shooter constant holds as the wind changes so the shooter can break the shot whenever they're ready.  It takes quite a bit of experience to read the wind like that and give accurate holds in Mils, but is a critical skill for having high hit probability at long range.

If you're shooting 6.5CM, it's pretty forgiving in the trajectory department, especially if you shoot 123s or 130gr, so either method will work well for you in that regard, but when shooting 2 MOA or smaller plates, you might want to dial.
View Quote
Great post thanks! I’m shooting 6.5 Creedmoor and my original post was in regards to shooting out to 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TX03RUBI:

I can’t see a single possible reason to have a zero other than 100 unless you’re playing the extreme ELR game where you’re running out of elevation in both the reticle and turrets.
View Quote
Oh boy.

Maximum point blank range?

Learn it. Love it.

Also learn the specific trajectory to make a more precise shot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

Oh boy.

Maximum point blank range?

Learn it. Love it.

Also learn the specific trajectory to make a more precise shot.
View Quote
No thanks. All rifles get a 100 yard zero. Depending on how much time I have determines if I dial or hold. If I have to be fast hold overs work fine. If I have time I'll dial elevation and hold wind. Point blank range zeros to me at this point in my life are pointless. I zero at 100 and I know my drop out to extreme distances. I can put my bullete exactly where I want it. What does maximum point blank give me besides a high or low impact?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
PRS club match yesterday:

10 stages

Dialed: 2
Held over: 3
Same distance all shots: 5
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I appreciate the replies guys. I’m shooting steel not paper, zeroed at 100 yards, and so far have been dialing for 300-400 yards (the furthest distance at the range I frequent). I’m sure at some point holdovers will come into play, particularly if I try any matches.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

When you are shooting the 300 and 400 use holds one day instead of dialing. It's a good way to learn.
View Quote
Wilco
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#40]
No knobs are as precise and repeatable as an etched reticle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#41]

I haven't shot the rifle yet but plan to do a tall target test. Does anyone have a source for tall targets?
View Quote
I use a 6" 2x4.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#42]

I haven't shot the rifle yet but plan to do a tall target test. Does anyone have a source for tall targets?
View Quote
I use a 6" 2x4.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I use a 6" 2x4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

I use a 6" 2x4.
I get the cardboard cover sheets from my local feed store and place a sticky bullseye in the center. Then draw a line to get a vertical level. Walmart has poster board for school projects that work well to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I make my own...I do combine a tall target with a box target so I can test both elevation and windage in one test...

I go up the center then down, then left, then up, then right, then down and finally back to center...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I got an opportunity to shoot at 1000 yards last weekend. I dialed up the elevation and held for a small quartering crosswind and was able to make hits on a 3 MOA target after a couple of shots. I have a bad feeling this new discipline is going to cost me a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I holdover so I can still hit lungs even if I miss the heart
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Nothing. It's for hunters who don't know how to use their scope or know their rifle data. You are doing it the right way.
View Quote
So you're telling me that being able to hold center mass and get a lethal hit with no corrections is... lazy, unwashed?

The hunting example is prime. Put sights on critter, pull trigger. Same with a battle rifle. Great way to get fire superiority with actual hits, not having to think beyond sight on target...

I'd definitely say that a precision rifle is intended as such and mpbr is an afterthought, but when time is of the essence, doesn't it just make more sense to know you can just pull the trigger and get a hit?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:45:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#48]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

So you're telling me that being able to hold center mass and get a lethal hit with no corrections is... lazy, unwashed?

The hunting example is prime. Put sights on critter, pull trigger. Same with a battle rifle. Great way to get fire superiority with actual hits, not having to think beyond sight on target...

I'd definitely say that a precision rifle is intended as such and mpbr is an afterthought, but when time is of the essence, doesn't it just make more sense to know you can just pull the trigger and get a hit?
View Quote
Hunting I range, look at dope chart hold and shoot. Your going to have to range no matter what if it's at any distance and if it's under 200 ya can just hold and fire on game. So why not be super precise? If it's a battle rifle your comparing apples to oranges and I'm still going to be using my reticle for hold overs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rugerdog:
No knobs are as precise and repeatable as an etched reticle.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top