Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
My only experience with long range shooting was a short course I did at Fort Campbell back in 2012 with the M24 and a Leupold Mk 4 fixed power. I just purchased a Larue Tactical rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and have been looking at the recommended optics thread. My question, With a $1000 budget, would you rather purchase something used or new? Ive seen some MK4 scopes go for seven to eight hundred dollars on the EE, and I understand their is a lifetime transferable warranty. Has technology really come far enough along that say, a new Vortex Viper PST is better? I understand that reticle technology had improved, Maybe a Christmas tree reticle greatly improves speed? Is illumination really important? I have an illuminated LPVO on my most used AR15 and Ive never used the illumination. Thanks for helping a newb.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Used high end from a  manufacturer who has a warranty that does not care who the original purchaser is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Used with warranty
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Used.   There was a 3-15 Nightforce just a day or 2 ago for that price in the EE.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You never go wrong with better optics.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the real question is. When does the technology of newer coatings/glass in medium priced scopes overtake those details on older high end scopes.  

You’d have to think a $400 Vortex is a better scope then a “quality” scope that was $1500 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Good glass is as important as a good rifle.
My first LR setup I spent more on the glass than I did on the rifle. Still have it. Others have come and gone. Don't limit your rifle with cheap glass.
Leupold is a rock solid choice so far as warranty.
If it has their name on it, they will fix it.
That being said, optics have advanced light years in the past couple of decades, especially long range. Research a ton before you spend a single penny. Nothing will cast shade on a great rifle more than bad glass...
HTH
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the input. I think I am going to save up a few more months and go for the Leupold Mark 5
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duckbutter] [#9]
Cameralandny.com
Has some really good deals. If you call the number and ask for Doug he gives forum members a pretty good discount. ($50-10%) They also ship free and only charge certain states sales tax.

The guys at rockslide.com forums swear by him.

Redhawkrifles.com has good deals on demo Zeiss scopes. Look under demo section.

I have never used either but if you read at rokslide they get a lot of mentions too.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duckbutter] [#11]
At $1000 budget. He’ll still have a bunch of good options. I didn’t read it as vortex or bust.

Maybe I read it wrong.

The demo prices in the Zeiss scopes are worth a look at least.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the cameralandny.com recommendation. I decided to up my budget even if that means holding off for a few months. The options out there are a little overwhelming. As of now, based on my limited knowledge, I am sold on the Leupold Mark 5HD over the Vortex Razor Gen II. All else being equal, it comes down to weight. While I will use this optic for bench shooting I will also be using it on an Elk hunt this fall and ounces matter. Is there any objective comparison test results for these two optics that anyone is aware of? I also found out about Leupold's veteran VIP program and am waiting to see what kind of discount that gets me. Thanks for the input everyone. This community is very kind and helpful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duckbutter] [#14]
Samplelist.com

Just had a bunch of demo SWFA scopes dropped for purchase.

Might be worth checking out too.  

That has been a long time good place to buy demo optics. It’s part of swfa.com

Over at hunttalk.com there is a long time member who gives special pricing on Leupolds. His username is schmalts. Guys over there swear by him.

I feel your pain. I have a $1k budget for a hunting scope and can’t decide. I don’t want a scope to turn dials and most of the quality scopes in that range are for long range shooting.  

I’ve been looking for a few months now and just sharing the best deals and options I’ve found so far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Did you look at the Vortex AMG? Lighter weight than the Mark5 and priced similar. Vortex also has LE/Mil/First Reaponder discounts as well. Some vendors like Sport Optics offer it direct.
View Quote

Oh, That is exactly what I am looking for. The AMG wasn't on my radar until now. It's a good thing I have some time before I have all the cash I need. I don't know how to decide.

I'm now looking at the NF NX8, Leopold Mark 5, Razor AMG, and considering the Eotech Vudu. I get veteran discounts on all of these brands, the only ones currently available is Eotech. The NF NX8 is a 7 month lead time and I haven't seen any Vortex optics available in their discount program in months, and Leupold's website is down for ordering.

If you held a gun to my head right now I would have to pick the AMG. It is hard to beat a no hassle warranty.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s not just about glass clarity and reticle. It’s about robust mechanicals that hold up to repeated adjustments without losing precision or accuracy.

Used high-quality beats new cheap. Every time.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Look at Govx and also call some Vortex dealers as some offer the LE/Mil pricing to people. Vortex doesn't sell direct anymore for LE/Mil.
View Quote

they pushed it all through expertvoice.
you can sign up there.
but everything was out of stock this morning when I went to look.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I *really* want to try one of the Crimson Trace Series 5 scopes on clearance at MidwayUSA.  Zero stop, FFP, with GAP style mil reticle...and made in Japan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top