Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2018 12:31:50 PM EDT
Okay, disclosure up front. I'm not an operator, not former military and not an LEO. I am, however, an enthusiast who likes to shoot.

I recently purchased a Daniel Defense DD5v2 (in Deep Woods).

I was thinking about putting this optic on it: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm

The primary purpose of this rifle is fun, target shooting, maybe s-h-t-f, but mostly fun.

Before I dropped the cash, wanted to ask what other folks might put on this rifle. I was thinking that I would set it up somewhat like a CQC to a medium sniper rifle and I thought that optic fit the bill.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That Nightforce is plenty of scope for that rifle for those purposes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That would definitely serve you well, top notch stuff.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 3:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunshooter] [#3]
Since you covered the high end already, here is a more budget friendly optic with a killer reticle. If money is no object they offer this reticle in a 4x trijicon acog.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/primary-arms-1-8x-variable-riflescope.html?_iv_code=29R-RS-PA1-8X24SFP-ACSS-5-56&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuP7UBRDiARIsAFpxiRI16LmGCMgzL31h4cUT25IGlnpOx7TrnlTn2I4vp34q6NW5tvve3D4aAlJFEALw_wcB
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:42:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#4]
Your .308 will reach out quite a good distance so I think your magnification choice is a little low for any type of precision shooting. Some really good shooters do it with that scope but I can't shoot tight groups past 250 yards without 3-15 or 3-18. If that's not your expectations then maybe your fine with the Night Force, they certainly have a good reputation.

The best advice I can give you is to not buy a scope until you've had a chance to at least look through it. I'm lucky in that I have a Cabela's 1/2 hour away and the guys at the gun desk know me well. Some run and hide if they think I'm looking at scopes because I'll try them all and compare them back and forth until I'm satisfied that I've made the right choice for me. I own some of the best glass money can buy but my favorite was less than a 1,000.00. I'm not even going to tell you what that scope is because odds are pretty good it wouldn't be the best scope for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Larue PredatOBR with 16" barrel that I started shooting long range.

Are you ever going to shoot for groups or ultra precision?
If so, you don't want that particular nightforce model.  I had one on my Larue, I had no problem shooting 66% IPSC targets out to 800 even 1,000yds.  But if I wanted to try punching paper, it was a no go...

I believe the 3-15 or 3-18 power range is perfect for the .308
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top