Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2018 5:38:15 PM EDT
Is there anyone here with a lathe that could do a simple job for me?  I ordered a custom made cleaning rod bore guide from Brownells and I need it shortened by 2 1/2”.  It’s made of Delrin plastic and would be a simple job for someone with a lathe.  Please email me if you can help.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By DitchDr:
Is there anyone here with a lathe that could do a simple job for me?  I ordered a custom made cleaning rod bore guide from Brownells and I need it shortened by 2 1/2".  It's made of Delrin plastic and would be a simple job for someone with a lathe.  Please email me if you can help.  Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
im sent
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha, it’s a little more complicated than that.  The cut end will need to be turned down to fit the chamber.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a drill press, a file and a hacksaw?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can’t find anyone, you can chuck it in a drill. Put the drill in a vice and use a file while the drill is spinning. It’s not a very hard material. I’ve done the trick with all types of metal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brickeyee] [#6]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
If you can’t find anyone, you can chuck it in a drill. Put the drill in a vice and use a file while the drill is spinning. It’s not a very hard material. I’ve done the trick with all types of metal.
View Quote
Mill bastard file for the rough to within a few hundredths of an inch.
Then maybe fine to final size.

Keep the file moving side to side at least a few tenths of an inch.
Use an outside corner on a pillar  file (no taper) to make a clean shoulder.

Even with a lathe Polishing with a fine file after cutting to approximate size can be required to leave a smoother finish.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Possum hollow might make one to your specs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Possum hollow might make one to your specs.
View Quote
I found out Possum Hollow is who makes the custom bore guides for Brownell’s.  Emailed them and they are going to shorten it for me.  Thanks for all the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top