Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2020 7:18:01 PM EDT
I'm building a SPRish/DMRish type rifle and I'm hoping to get some optic advice.  I'm fairly new to more "precision" shooting and also fairly new to longer range shooting so I'm looking for some recommendations on what magnification and such I should get.

Barrel is 18" Llila 6.5 Grendel.

Shooting will be 600 yards out to 1000 or so.  Will likely shoot at 100-200 as well.

All of my previous experience with magnified optics has been LPVO's, I've never owned a quality higher magnification optic before.

Budget is anything up to around $1500-$2500ish.

Rifle will likely see some abuse in long range classes and maybe some practical precision rifle matches & such.

My understanding is that as magnification goes up, weight and bulk usually go up so I'm just not sure which magnification ranges are "just right" and which are too much and adding too much weight and bulk.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal advise get something in the 2-18 range

A 2-12, 2-10, 3-10, 4-14, 4-16 or 3-18

I wouldn't go over 18x for weight reasons and optic foot print as well as its not needed for 1000yds

I really like my 4-14 as an all around scope but also like the vortex pst 2-10

There is an older 3-10 vx3 in the EE that fits this build nicely but I think he is asking too much, though it has credence as an spr optic for very early mk12 clone builds.

Basically I wouldn't want no less than 10x for 1000yds. I'd even try the razor 1-10 if given the chance

I also would suggest you factor in some budget for an offset rds, the 2x can be workable for upclose but really an rds isn't terribly expensive and could easily fit your budget.

If this rifle will live in the 500-1000yd range I'd run max mag at around 20x since size and weight go out the window. And mag over 20x to me just amplifies mirage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a lot of users with the following:

ATACR 4-16x42F1 (I own this one and consider it my favorite scope.)

NX8 2.5-20x50F1 (I just got one of these, but haven't used it much.)

Mk5 3.6-18x44

Steiner T5xi 3-15x50

I'm sure there are others, but these have been the most popular that I've seen in this price range.

Magnification and weight don't always go up together, but these are all within a few ounces of each other.  Locking/Capped adjustments are a priority for some.  Generous parallax/DOF, as well as reticle shape and thickness with illumination options help people make their minds up, too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some great deals on the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 2 and the XRS scopes
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie1819] [#4]
Eotech Vudu 5-25 is a good optic to give you the magnification and light weight you want for a rifle like that. I always like having the extra magnification even though I rarely need it. The Horus reticle is a little distracting to me, but they have others and it may suit your needs. I am putting it on my AR10 build for a similar use as you describe. I did have it on my long range hunting rifle. I just didnt like an LPVO on my AR10 and felt like the 5-25 Vudu was perfect for it. It is good for long range and only 11 inches long!!!

Thinking about adding a NX8 in the near future as my post below this says.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#5]
ATACR 4-16x42 F1
NX8 2.5-20x50F1
Mk5 3.6-18x44
Vortex Razor HD Gen2 3-18x50
Steiner T5xi 3-15x50
Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS 4.5-30x50
Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50

I would consider all of the above.  They’re compact enough and light enough to work well with a DMR/SPR type setup.  If you’re going to run it in competition, getting a Christmas tree reticle or Horus reticle is ideal for rapid holdovers and quick shot corrections.

The quality of the glass is going to determine capabilities of the scope.  The listed scopes are all upper tier scopes with excellent glass.  However, the ATACR is a step above the rest with truly outstanding glass.  The better the glass, the more you’re going to overcome issues like mirage at distance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone for all the replies thus far...especially for the lists of optics.  That really helps as it gives me a list that I can go out to manufacturer web sites and check them out closer, and look at YouTube reviews and videos.  It allows me to learn alot too.  Thank you.

So far, I'm really liking that Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x F1.  It really seems to check all the boxes and it seems you get alot for your money.  The magnification range should be good for my intended use.  The weight & footprint are terrific.  They offer it in a Horus reticle.  They are sturdy with well-spoken of glass.  This really sounds like the ticket for me.  When comparing, the ATACR is around $500 and I'm not sure, with my limited skill & experience, whether I'd see $500 worth of difference in features and quality.  Also, if I push the rifle out a bit further I may really appreciate having that 20X over the ATACR 16X.  The ATACR is still in the running though as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Wolf:
Thanks to everyone for all the replies thus far...especially for the lists of optics.  That really helps as it gives me a list that I can go out to manufacturer web sites and check them out closer, and look at YouTube reviews and videos.  It allows me to learn alot too.  Thank you.

So far, I'm really liking that Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x F1.  It really seems to check all the boxes and it seems you get alot for your money.  The magnification range should be good for my intended use.  The weight & footprint are terrific.  They offer it in a Horus reticle.  They are sturdy with well-spoken of glass.  This really sounds like the ticket for me.  When comparing, the ATACR is around $500 and I'm not sure, with my limited skill & experience, whether I'd see $500 worth of difference in features and quality.  Also, if I push the rifle out a bit further I may really appreciate having that 20X over the ATACR 16X.  The ATACR is still in the running though as well.
View Quote

Midway has a killer deal on the  Bushnell XRS ii and DMR
I mean killer.
I got the 5-30 XRS ii for $1300 plus ta. And you get a $200 gift card.
The only drawback is the parallax is 75 yards so no good for precision rimfire
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I just wanted to revisit this thread with an additional question.

I've been asking around my local range for some advice on the optic as described in the initial post above.  Most experienced precision shooters (and everyone is "experienced" compared to me as this will be my first "precision" rifle and I'm new to the world of precision or longer range shooting) seem to concur with the advice given in this thread.

So I have two questions that I've received some advice on but I was just hoping to get some other opinions as its difficult for me to discern whether the advice people give me at the range is good advice or bad advice.

1) NX8 2.5-20X F1 or ATACR 4X-16X F1?  Some people tell me that for the price and my described use I'm better off with the NX8 and the additional magnification.  Some tell me that I should just go for the ATACR and that the difference in magnification between the two is more than made up for by the features and quality difference between the two.  Some people tell me the extra magnification of the NX8 just causes more mirage, and others tell me that the ability to see more mirage is helpful in determining wind if I know how to do it.  So, as you might imagine, I'm getting alot of conflicting advice between the two and I'm not sure which would be the better optic for me.  What is your opinion?

2) Reticle.  I've asked several people and they all recommend the Horus reticle.  They tell me that the Horus reticles are sometimes more expensive but worth it.  They say that for a newer precision or long range shooter its worth learning to use this reticle.  Others tell me that the reticle is too "busy" but it sounds alot more like personal opinion than advice directed towards me.  I'm leaning towards the Horus advice.  What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two "precision" rifles in 6.5 creedmoor.  One is a bolt gun with a Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x and the other is a large frame AR with a Leupold Mk5 3.6-18x with a Horus Tremor 3 reticle.

I've shot these out to 1300 m and 18x on the top end is plenty.  Both scopes are quality, they track well and have good glass.  The Leupold's elevation turret is fantastic with its locking button and very tactile clicks.

I haven't completely made up my mind on the Horus reticle yet.  I understand the benefits of having the matrix of aiming points for holding elevation and wind but in practice I usually end up dialing for it anyway.  Granted I'm not shooting competitively on the clock or at bad dudes trying to kill me, so I have plenty of time to dial and hold.  I think for faster paced shooting there is a huge benefit to having all of that.  It is busy, but not so much that it distracts me or occludes the view through the scope.

Regarding mirage, higher magnification can make the mirage stand out worse.  You can always back off the magnification to alleviate that.  The more magnification you have the more options you have, as long as the glass is good enough that you get a clear image at maximum magnification.  Reading mirage is a pretty cool skill to have and in some conditions better than looking at a flag or trees to read the wind.  I've always done it through a spotting scope rather than my rifle's optic.  I'm an amateur though so don't take my word for it entirely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top