Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2022 12:30:38 PM EDT
But not a 6.5 Creedmoor, I never got on that bandwagon.

I'm a 6.5x55 Swede kinda guy, & sometimes 6.5x52 guy. But primarily the Swede.  These have always been old milsurps. But I'm wanting to push the round more, so something modern is required & I enjoy putting stuff together myself.

This is probably going to be more of a paper puncher. But will be taken out into the woods.

I was thinking originally about using an old 1903 or 03a3 Springfield receiver (I've got several sitting around). But am now thinking about something like a Terminus Zeus long action. I'm thinking a fully threaded receiver over a quick change, but I'm unsure of that.

Traditionally I'm a fan of broach cut barrels. But I'm not set on that. My M38 Swede is just a hair faster than 1:8 & I've typically worked up loads 140gr and under, but primarily a Hornady 140gr eld over 42 to 45 ish grains of 5744. I've had excellent results at 200 yards. I'd like to go to heavier pill & push it out farther.  I've got access to a 1500 yard private range & that's what prompted me in this direction. Figure casual paper punching 700 as a purpose for this.

Although I've never used a anything with a chassis before, I thing I'd like to go with one. Which is also why I'm looking a better receiver than the old Springfield.  But I know just about jack shit about the subject. Education is needed.

I've a few different bipod I can use. Atlas (but it's on something else currently), Magpul (that I'm very meh about), & AccuTac Fc-5 G2 (love it, but it is a beast).

I've not put much thought into glass yet. I've tendency towards 30mm tubes & a retical that ain't too busy, like the old mil dot. As very fond of the old Soviet Pso / Psop scope reticals. But I'll happily listen to advice here, as glass really is outside my knowledge base. Been an irons guy, but the eyes. They getting older.

Thanks for any input & advice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure it's in current production or not but you should be able to find a Tikka in 6.5x55 Swede used. If you look hard enough you might be able to find a tikka master sporter model and you'd be set for a target gun. If you wanted to upgrade a standard t3/t3x to a chassis I believe MDT makes one for the LA tikkas and their 'off-brand' oryx has one as well that uses their special magazine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJP] [#2]
I would agree with the above post. I have a Tikka "Sporter" (misleading name, as in the U.S. a "Sporter" is considered a thin/light barreled hunting rifle, but the Finns actually built this using a heavier target barrel with competition in mind) in 6.5x55. I'm also a fan of my 1907 CG M96, but with this modern Tikka action, it takes the caliber to an entirely different level. I swapped the laminate target stock for a McMillan A5 and  CDI Precision bottom metal/AICS 300WM mags. It will shoot any bullet I've tried very well, but my favorites have been the 142gr SMK (shot 1000 yard F-Class with that) and both of the heavier Hornady ELDs (147 M and 143 X). My preferred powders are H4350 and H4831SC. It's a 24" barrel, but if/when I swap it, I'll probably go 26" and possibly a slower powder, too. Also, Tikka's bolt face is cut to the actual size of the 6.5x55SE spec, while some American bolts will be the same face diameter as .308/30-06 (slightly smaller and I forget the exact dimensions). I run Lapua brass in mine, so it isn't an issue, but Lapua might be an issue if you're not running the Scandanavian size bolt face. Just something to keep in mind. The only Tikka in this caliber that I've seen in the states is the "Sporter". I know they make other T3 rifles in x55, but it's my understanding they don't import them here.

Ultimately, my advice would be, if sticking to 6.5x55, go with at least a 26" barrel. Anything shorter and you're really not beating Creedmoor by much, in terms of velocity. You'll be using several grains more powder per load to barely edge it out and needing a long action, to boot. With that being said, I'm not going to be changing caliber on my Tikka. Just a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#3]
IDK what type of game you would hunt but I would consider 6.5 PRC
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats old is new again:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/6-5-creedmoor-vs-the-6-5-55-swedish/
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Where was the "old is new again" crowd when the .260 Rem or 6.5x47 came out? Both came out before the Creedmoor. Hmmm? Haters gotta hate.
View Quote

Creedmoor seats the longer bullets at mag length and room to spare in a short action.   That’s a big deal to me but to some none at all.
Your right haters gonna hate they always do
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top