Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 4:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghost-1]
Ok I have a Savage Model 10P-SR 308 5R that I got from a guy I helped pack his apartment up as he is moving over seas for his job and can't take any guns. He kept a couple of really nice ones and some he inherited that he is leaving with his folks back out in Kansas and then asked me if I wanted this rifle as he was getting out of long range shooting and he had already gotten rid of everything else he had but forgot he had this one as it was still in the box but up in the top of the closet but had been pushed to the back. He gave me the rifle along with three boxes of 308 ammo that he had left that were in the box with the rifle.

Update on my research:
From what I am finding this is a limited run edition with heavy 5R 16 inch threaded barrel and apparently These are very hard to find. The spec's of the rifle are:
16 Inch Heavy 1:10 twist 5 R rifling 5/8" -24 TPI threaded barrel  
Bolt action
Oversized tactical bolt handle
Black synthetic stock w/beavertail forend
Detachable mag
1.5 lb. AccuTrigger
Matte Blue finish

If anyone else can add to this and give me some feedback on these let me know. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can as I would like to know what upgrades I can do to this as far as stock's extra mags scope mount and other stuff.

Here is a picture I found online of the exact same rifle I got:

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jough43] [#1]
That is the updated (cost reduced) gen 2 FCP-SR.
The main drawback is the Savage proprietary plastic mag & Accustock.

Get an Accurate Manufacturing bottom metal and that will allow AICS patter mags.
Accurate Mfg. also sells their own version of AICS mags.  They are the supplier to Savage on rifles so equiped.

I have a gen 1 FCP-SR, which is 24" barrel (308), digital desert camo Accu-stock and Accurate Mfg bottom metal & mag.
Also, my bolt handle is large and round.  The newer version is large and knurled.

When it comes to aftermarket stocks, it matters if the bolt release is on top or bottom.
GRS and others make improved stocks for it.

Mine is the most accurate rifle I own.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
jough43

Thanks for the info and yes the stock is really not that nice that it is sitting in so I am looking to swap it out. It does have the bolt release on the bottom so I guess that makes it harder to find stocks for it. I am mainly looking for help, info and input as to what I can do to it to make a tactical medium range bolt gun with it.

I'm not looking to shoot 1000 yards and stuff as I know it might be really pushing it with the 16" heavy barrel. I'll be using this for hunting and the farthest I'll more than likely be shooting for that would be maybe 300 to 400 yards. I am looking for a nice good scope base and then I'll be looking at some good glass but I don't need something expensive either as I am on a budget so I'll be looking for something in the Vortex, Super Sniper and a couple of other ones to see what they have that will work for me and let me see and make good hits out 800.

I'll look over at Accurate Mfg. since they are the supplier for Savage and since they have the bottom metal that will allow me to use AICS mags and they sell their own version of AICS mags. I will also look over at GRS as well to see what they might have and what I might be looking for as far as price. I know I am sure to have some more questions and will need some more help with this and getting it setup and ready.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is similar, mine came with rail and fluted barrel.

Mine didn't like factory ammo, out of 5 brands it would only group about 2 inches at 100yrds. With hand loads it will do about an inch with a vortex scope.

I'm not the best shot so ymmv.

I have sone nothing to it other than add a folding bipod.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyC] [#4]
Most stock makers work with your OEM bottom metal, but then you're stuck with the Savage magazine. There are 10 round Savage magazines, but Accuracy International pattern magazines are better.

Although I prefer it, the bottom bolt release will be your biggest problem with that rifle. Accurate Mag bottom metal won't work without modification. It only works with the top bolt release.
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/bottom-metals/savage-short-action-bottom-metal-kit/

Pacific Tool and Gauge makes bottom metal that works with the bottom bolt release.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9137-sa-savage-stealth-dbm.html

MDT chases and the Oryx chassis allow access to the bottom bolt release lever through a slot in the right side of the stock/chassis, so that an ambidextrous tool less operation is no longer ambidextrous and also requires a tool to remove the bolt.

CDI Precision used to make bottom metal for Savage that allowed access to the bottom bolt release via the trigger pass through, before the owner passed. The only aftermarket stock/chassis I am aware of that allows access to the bottom bolt release via the trigger pass through is a McCree Precision G7

EGW is the picatinny scope base OEM supplier for Savage, but most base makers have a model for Savage.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The issues you will find with the the bottom bolt release savages is there are not allot of options for using ACS mags, triggers and aftermarket stocks. The sear is another issue as well since Savage is not making them form a conversation I had with there support. I wound up braking mine when the action fell off my work bench when I was working on it. It broke the sear and the trigger bracket, which all of the parts but the sear, are interchangeable with the top bot release trigger parts.

Now I did find that JARD Triggers makes a replacement with the sear built in and it works like a champ and I would recommend it as a upgrade to the factory trigger.

What I would change first stock with a B&C M40 or the Target. When I did it, I went with the B&C Sporter for the bottom bolt release and just stuck with the factory mags which should still be the same one your takes. They worked fine in my SR and FCM even when I went hunting with either of them. The factor Accustock is the weakest part of a savage rile in general. The front end will twist and bend when there is any force applied to the front, and over time, the plastic will start to pull from the embedded aluminum rail like it did with my FCM, and hammer the accuracy of the rifle.  

For the scope base and rings, I like the MDT Base and there Premier Scope Rings for the quality and price. And for the scope, I mounted a Vortex PST like this one on sale on my SR.

If you opted to put a break on it, i would look at the Area 419 Hellfire or the APA Fat Bastard.

Now the SR I had like the 168 SMK's/175 SMK's and was good out to 600 yards with my skills. It was a fun gun to shoot, but I wound up trading it on a Howa 308 20" HB. I still have the FCM with the 20" barrel and use it as my hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok thanks guy's for all the info and input on this. I am thinking more and more about just selling it and moving on to something else as it just seems like it's more of a pain in the ass to do anything with it as far as what I had planned to do with it. I have other projects and things that I am working on that have a higher priority for me to finish and this will just end up sitting in the safe and not really being used.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a very similar one for sale in my AO.  NIB and asking $825.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:16:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jough43:
There is a very similar one for sale in my AO.  NIB and asking $825.
View Quote

Ok thanks and I wouldn't be asking nearly that much for this one if I do or did decide to sell it off.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#9]
Ok.. there is no limit to what you can do. here's what happens when you lose all control. Now it's also got a cookie cutter brake and a Jard trigger and a XLR folding stock adapter and a 10BA bolt handle (even bigger yet, like the one on your rifle actually) on it too. What's left of the original gun? Exactly the receiver and bolt body/bolt head assembly. If you're running low on patience with a Savage, don't even consider modifying any rifle ever in your life. You can't take the strain.

For yours, it's short so MDT LSS makes sense (mine is an LSS). Put a brake on it. A Cookie Cutter from Strike industries will help with the magnificent blast that otherwise will occur. I have a CC on mine now and it's quieter than any other brake while still being a good brake. The factory trigger is fine. I literally wore mine out and it wasn't safe anymore (that takes 10's of thousands of bolt cycles, not a helpful worry for anyone). Then drop a rail and a LPVO or even a red dot sight on it. You'll be viable to as far as you'll be able to see a target of useful size.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
ballisticxlr that looks good and I like it. I will keep it and look at doing some stuff to it like some of ya'll have suggested as far as the parts swaps and stuff. I will pick some stuff up here and there and take it slow as I figure out exactly what I am going to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top