Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 7:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pilotscrappy]
Hey guys I finally got a chronograph and used it today and am totally stumped thinking I need to redo my ocw test.
I originally did the ocw test by just shooting 5 shot groups @100 yards. I landed on 42.1 grains of h-4350 it was giving me the tightest groups.

I am a new reloader,  have no mentor to speak of, just learning as much as I can by trial and error and the web.

I am shooting a ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I have the Caldwell chronograph that used today and got some eye opening data.

I thought a good node for these barrels was around 2700 fps?

My loads are shooting 2800+ but still group decent if I do my part.

I want to shoot at distance 1k+ so I wanna get these loads as accurate as I can.
I'm using  hornady lock and load single stage press, with the custom grade hornady dies.

I'm shooting 140 gr ELD match bullets over h4350 powder, cci bench rest primers (large rifle)
The brass I was using was 4 or 5 times fired hornady brass.

My question is, do I need to basically redo my ocw test? Do I lower my charges to get closer to 2700fps?
As you can see my extreme spread and standard deviation numbers are not good.

What can I be doing to make these numbers go down/be more consistent?

Again I'm a new reloader my process is the following: tumble, decap/resize, tumble again to remove lube,
Trim to book spec 1.910 I think, uniform primer pocket, chamfer,deburr, brush inside neck, prime, powder,seat bullet.
I'm seating @2.820 I still need to get tool to measure chamber so I can chase the lands.

Anyways any help/ input appreciated.
Pics

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Does your rifle have a brake on it and how far is the crony from the barrel tip? I also have a couple caldwell crony's and I have to position them at least 15 feet from the barrel to get accurate readings, otherwise gas coming out from the barrel can alter the readings...I use a string that I can loop over the barrel all the way back at the front of the scope and then pull it tight as I set out the crony..it allows me to center the crony up easily the first time for both vertical and horizontal position as well as distance from barrel...makes using an optical crony a breeze...
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
Originally Posted By Pilotscrappy:
...I'm using hornady lock and load single stage press, with the custom grade hornady dies...  Me2!

My question is, do I need to basically redo my ocw test?  In my opinion, yes.  I do OCW very differently.  The method I use is very similar to the method outlined in this video.

Do I lower my charges to get closer to 2700fps?  I pay no attention to MV numbers during load development - develop the load and let the chips (MVs) fall where they may.  BY all means use safe reloading principles and always watch for pressure signs.

Again I'm a new reloader my process is the following: tumble, decap/resize, tumble again to remove lube, Trim to book spec 1.910 I think, uniform primer pocket, chamfer,deburr, brush inside neck, prime, powder,seat bullet.  My order is - decap, tumble in crushed walnut hulls, lube, size cases (2 stages), trim, deburr, chamfer,  bore brush case necks, clean primer pockets, second tumble in walnut hulls, check headspace and neck ODs (random checks), hand prime, charge cases, seat bullets, check COAL / CBTO (random checks), box ammo.
View Quote
Good choice on components.  I reload for 308 (have no 6.5 CM experience).

I recently posted an OCW load development thread HERE which you might find interesting to read...

Best,

- R -
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Does your rifle have a brake on it and how far is the crony from the barrel tip? I also have a couple caldwell crony's and I have to position them at least 15 feet from the barrel to get accurate readings, otherwise gas coming out from the barrel can alter the readings...I use a string that I can loop over the barrel all the way back at the front of the scope and then pull it tight as I set out the crony..it allows me to center the crony up easily the first time for both vertical and horizontal position as well as distance from barrel...makes using an optical crony a breeze...
View Quote
Yes my rifle is the gen 3 rpr and has the stock break on it. I did have the crony about 15 feet away as well. Perhaps I'll measure
It exactly to 15' next trip
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Good choice on components.  I reload for 308 (have no 6.5 CM experience).

I recently posted an OCW load development thread HERE which you might find interesting to read...

Best,

- R -
View Quote
Thx for the tip I'll try this method next
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]

Thx for the tip I'll try this method next
View Quote
Be sure to watch Jonh McQuay's video HERE.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
That charge and bullet weight 2800 is well within reason.  I wouldn't expect much speed but close to 2700 even would be quite mild.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Yes my rifle is the gen 3 rpr and has the stock break on it. I did have the crony about 15 feet away as well. Perhaps I'll measure
View Quote
Might even try further out, it should give you a spot to address the distance in the data...which will then address your recorded velocities back to true MV....
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The Hornady manual shows the max load for H4350 to be 41.5g to produce 2700 fps in a 24" test barrel, which is your length if I recall.  You're using 42.1g, but frankly I see a lot of other users having success and no issues with more than that 41.5 indicated max.  Just be careful.

I get between 2785-2800 fps with the same 140g bullet you're using, but in a 26" barrel and R17 at .2g higher than recommended max powder in the Hornady manual.  From a lot of results from others all over the place, it appears the 6.5CM is quite forgiving to varying power charges and that the Hornady 10th may be a little conservative.

Without some evidence of overpressure, I'd use what works and yielded the best results within reason.  H4350 is supposed to be very temperature tolerant, so that's working for you.  My R17 is a little more touchy, and I have to consider operating temps when using it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#9]

View Quote
Maybe push it out a little farther?  Might be catching some muzzle blast, but 15’ is a little ways out. Was always afraid to move mine out too far (especially considering I “missed” once and hit it).

How was the weather that day?  Did you have the diffusers on?  Make sure the sensors are clean too.  The lighting can also made a difference.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
The Hornady manual shows the max load for H4350 to be 41.5g to produce 2700 fps in a 24" test barrel, which is your length if I recall.  You're using 42.1g, but frankly I see a lot of other users having success and no issues with more than that 41.5 indicated max.  Just be careful.

I get between 2785-2800 fps with the same 140g bullet you're using, but in a 26" barrel and R17 at .2g higher than recommended max powder in the Hornady manual.  From a lot of results from others all over the place, it appears the 6.5CM is quite forgiving to varying power charges and that the Hornady 10th may be a little conservative.

Without some evidence of overpressure, I'd use what works and yielded the best results within reason.  H4350 is supposed to be very temperature tolerant, so that's working for you.  My R17 is a little more touchy, and I have to consider operating temps when using it.
View Quote
Yea I forgot to mention that when I was first doing ocw test I ran the charge up in .2 gr increments from 40 to 43.0

Even @ 43 I wasn't getting really and pressure issues. But the groups were all over the place @ that charge.

And yeah I kinda figured hornady was being very conservative for their "max" loading weight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

Maybe push it out a little farther?  Might be catching some muzzle blast, but 15’ is a little ways out. Was always afraid to move mine out too far (especially considering I “missed” once and hit it).

How was the weather that day?  Did you have the diffusers on?  Make sure the sensors are clean too.  The lighting can also made a difference.
View Quote
Weather was good sunny and hot high 80s. I did have the diffusers on, and I was back I wanna say close to 15 ft cuz the
Supplied cord that connects to my phone would barely reach my bench.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#12]
find a buddy with a chrono and swap chronos and look at results.

I wouldn't be that concerned over the MV.    I'd be charting group size vs powder charge.

A lower velocity may give you a better grouping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top