Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2020 1:03:48 AM EDT
Midway terminal ascents

I have a 300 win mag that I’m looking to get some bullets for. The gun groups very well using 168 ELD-M with some handloads. Although both the deer and pig i shot dropped are these a good hunting bullet? It seemed as though the bullet shattered and I was digging pieces out.

I want to try the terminal ascents but I can’t find them anywhere and they have been overdue for a long time. The same goes for the TLR and the trophy bonded tip.

95% of the time I’m shooting deer in the neck and 4% in the head and I hate body shots.

Is it worth the wait to get the terminal ascents or find something else?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The ELD-M is a target bullet so if it's coming apart switching to a hunting bullet is probably a good move. I don't know anything about the Federal Terminal Ascents but if federal loads it in their premium ammo it's probably decent. Maybe try some ELD-X bullets since your gun likes the target version.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
150 gr ballistic tip for deer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I use 165 grain Nosler Partition. Very accurate and in my gun more accurate than the ballistic tip. Deer don’t walk away.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
ELD-X's of about the same weight should shoot pretty much identically and won't frag your meat so bad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Really eyeing those 178 ELD-X

Linky

I can’t find any load data for them in a 300 though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FishinTexasAg05:
Really eyeing those 178 ELD-X

Linky

I can’t find any load data for them in a 300 though.
View Quote

You aren't always going to find data on new bullets. I would look at data for existing 175-180 grain bullets and try to figure out a safe starting load and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, if you want a super accurate 30 cal hunting bullet that will flat work on both big, medium, and smaller game while capable of shooting ragged single hole groups..try these swift sciroccos.. they flat work, I have shot big bull moose, grizzly bears, brown bears, caribou, wolves, wolverine and who knows what else with them, they have been 100% each and every time, from less than 10 yards to well out past 600 yards in my 300rum....They are still my go to round when a friend has an accuracy issue with a 300rum(I still have a partial case I bought years ago of 300rum ammo).......

https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
190 grain accubond lr.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The bigger issue now is what’s available and what isn’t

I ended up getting 100 rounds of the nosler 168gr etip

I had some things to get at optics planet and those were available
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top