Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2020 10:57:17 AM EDT
I have been slowly putting a few rifles together but I will need to build a range kit in the near future.  I am a buy once cry once person but hope to spend 2k or less but if I blow the budget I will toss that up as, oops.  I will first be looking for quality/accuracy but would like to have a minimal size.  Along with that speed and efficiency would be really nice.  The smaller and lighter the better.  I currently run an apple iPhone and loaded both Ballistic AE and Shooter apps in my phone.  So far I like Ballistics AE interface better so probably use that more often but if Shooter works better for certain accessories that is not an issue.  I will be using this kit from 22LR to 50 BMG.  I also have a few M1's that will have a few range days.  All this said I at least need the following equipment:

Laser range finder*
Anemometer*
Chronograph*
Bi pod
Shooting bags
Shooting vice (not sure if that is the correct name but put the gun in a vice to take 95% of the shooter out of the equation to get the best zero and get the best reloads I can)
Range mat (not required at my range but in case I go with someone that doesn't have benches at every position, kinda like the Triad tactical matt suggested in another thread here)
Spotting scope (my range has cameras down range but again I might not be on my range, have a set of Nikon Prostaff 7s binos but not sure the opinion for this purpose)

One other thing that was recommended but not sure how much it really matters is a laser thermometer.  Basically use it between shots on the barrel to get cold bore and follow up shots differences so you could calculate for any changes.  

The equipment marked with an asterisks would be nice if it would record the data for me or at least input it in the ballistics calculator.  I am not sure any chronograph does this but maybe wishful thinking.

For the laser range finder looking at either the sig 2400 or the nikon black rangex 4k.  I also see the option to have this built into a set of bino's but you are looking at $1k minimum to get in that game and not sure I would want to carry binos all the time.  I will be shooting normally from 100- 1300 yards, if I ever get the chance to head out west I would like to be able to verify I got that 1 mile shot, 2 miles would be even better but not required.  

The anemometer I was looking at was a Kestrel 5700 with the LINK but then saw a thread for the weatherFlow WEATHERmeter and like that fact it can be set at a remote location and seemed pretty compact.  My range has covered shooting positions and the wind under cover and out in the open is different.  I also understand it could even change direction from my position to the target but why shoot myself in the foot twice.

For the chronograph looking at going with the Labradar option.  I like the magnetospeed but the ability to mount to a M1 and the possible shift / MOA grouping changes bother me.  I do not want any option I have to go downrange and set something up.  I could have to wait an hour before setting it up.  I eventually will have a few NFA items but honestly waiting to see what happens in Nov to make sure I won't be throwing away money.

For the Bipod I have seen a few threads but most of it was on mounting options.  I might get a tripod for each gun I plan to shoot long range but I do have some that are m-lok and some that are keymod.....  I currently have a Magpul bipod but from looking it will probably be a backup and there are better options out there.  I have never used one before and purchased the magpul before research was done...
I saw the thread about the shooting bag "fill" that was extremely light weight but might blow away....  If I had to might get a strap sewn on so I could put a caraibener on it while I go downrange and get my targets.  I do like the light weight part though, I will have enough gear walking across the parking lot to look like I moved out of my house...

Best shooting vice.  I am totally lost on this one.  Most of my stuff is in the AR (15 & 10 DPMS) type platform.  The exception is the 50 BMG, Bergara, and the M1 garands.  My 50 BMG has a bipod and unipod so that might be the better option anyway.  The AR length ranges from 22" barrel down to 12.5", everything else is well known or 26" in length.  If I can't get the 12.5" in a vice I will live but just looking for the best load data at 300 yards.

The other two items on the list I have never used so will have to rely on advice/suggestions from others here as well.

If there is an obvious hole in the gear I am looking at please let me know, I have done enough stupid stuff in my life to know I am not perfect...
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not an insult.  You sound like a new shooter who has read too many articles.  Start cheap and simple and learn as you go about what you really need.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Mark and Rob are right. Put away the Sniper101 and start over, go simple.

Don't shoot off a bipod from the bench. Use heavy sand bags or a heavy shooting rest.
You don't need a rangefinder if you're going to a range. The distances to target are known already.
You don't need a weather meter of any kind anyway. It's just a toy.
You don't need a spotting scope. They're for watching wind move and bullets fly, not for looking at holes poked in paper.

Go to the range. Bring a rifle, some ammo, eye and ear protection, something to drink, pen & paper, masking/painters tape, any sandbags/shooting rests/rear bags you need and a ruler.

If you're testing ammunition velocity, bring a chronograph. Just get a magnetospeed and save us the effort of telling you that it's the best for beginners.
If you're testing a scope bring a scope calibration target.

This is a fun sport to be in but most people think it's the same as ricing out your Honda Civic. It's possible to make it into that but it doesn't need to be anything near that hideously expensive and unproductive. Don't spend until you know why you're doing a spend.

The above might seem odd advice especially given some of the stupid expensive kit a lot of us have and how flippantly people recommend stupid expensive kit. Some of us have expensive stuff because we went all bandwagon trying to keep up with the Jones's. Some of us have it because we found out we were doing something special and we needed something really special to do it with which turns out to also be stupid expensive. A $100 Harris bipod works as well as a $300 Atlas or a $400 AccuTac right up until the very point that it doesn't and then you start looking upmarket. I have 6 long range precision rifles. I own 4 bipods. 2 of my bipods are Harris and I've not wish to replace them. I also have Accutac and I've no wish to put them on every rifle I own.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I appreciate the honestly.  This will be the first precision stuff I have done.  Plan to shoot up to 1250 yards at my range  I will for sure need a chronograph when I start to re-load.  For some of the classes I plan on taking a bi-pod is a required item along with a rear bag.  The Kestrel and spotting scope were highly recommended and the laser range finder was just nice to have item.  Depending on the shooting position and angle to the target the 100 yard line might range from 98 to 102 yards (yeah I know, big woopie, but if you are going to shoot somewhere else nice to know).

For a note the longest distance I have shot for any reasonable time is 500 yards with iron sights.  I really don't count hitting a man size target at that distance precision so yes I am new to this aspect.......I have been identified...
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Get a Harris BRM-S bipod with a Pod Loc. That's the 6-9" with swivel.

Definitely get a chrono and if you need it to not attach for certain uses then the Labradar is a good one. Be careful though as they are more fragile.

You don't want a super light rear bag. You want one that you can use to stabilize the rifle and make small elevation adjustments. Most commercial bags use what's called poly pellets aka doll fill which can be found tons of places. I use it and make my own bags with it. It's not overly heavy but forms well and doesn't attract rodents/bugs or turn to mush if wet.

A Kestrel isn't a bad tool but depends on what you need as to what model. I still use a simple cheap model as all I need is temp and wind speed. I don't use it for data but use my phone with the Hornady 4Dof, which is free and accurate.

Spotters are nice but rarely used as most spot through their optic if laying shooting with others. At matches a small set of binos or a small spotter like the 15x Vortex Recon work well as it has a mil reticle. Depends on what you feel like lugging around.

LRF is good to have to verify ranges. You could get a $300-400 model and it will do what you need.

Where are you located? Maybe someone close can let you look at gear.
View Quote

Thanks.  In southeast TN.  I figured I would at least ask first....but I currently don't have anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top