Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2019 10:12:07 AM EDT
My last batch of bag fill was pretty amazing. ~1lbs per cubic foot and resistant to chemicals while being dust free and having a good 3-5mm pellet size and solid lock-in and shape conformance and bright white pellets. I didn't think we could do better but we did.

We went to a black color because once you go black you never go back and we massively reduced (but could not eliminate) the static clinginess while dropping just a tiny tiny bit more weight. So now it's even more like ground up space shuttle tiles, it's black.

So without further ado, here's a little demonstration:
A can of Coke weighs just a tit under 400grams. 1 pound is 454 grams. This can of Coke Zero and a TINY PROPORTION (about 1/8) of the bag fill media that came with my MidwayUSA bags. Both of these things weigh the same, 395 grams. Nothing surprising there.

And that doesn't look like much until you look at what 395 grams of my new bag fill looks like. It's the one in the back in the bag. Oh, the bag was included in the weight and the bag itself weighs about 40 grams.

What's that mean? Well, these three bags combined weighed >7lbs (very nearly 8lbs) when filled with the little polymer cylinders that they came with. With my fill all three bags together weigh under half a pound and the fill actually weighs radically less than the shells.

Just like with the last batch, I've got a good bit of my testing lot on hand I can hook ARFcom'ers up with some at my cost. 10 bucks for 1 liter, 35 bucks for 4 liters and that's including shipping to the USA. International shipping is 25 bucks for either 1L or 4L. I'm making zero dollars on this, just hooking my homies up. PM for details if you want some.

I did a match with these bags last weekend and it was awesome. You gotta watch that they don't blow away in the wind if left unattended but otherwise, saved me 7lbs from my load-out which mattered a lot since it was a hiking match and the hike was/is BRUTAL. Not lugging around the extra weight really made a difference. The rock solid lock-in and shape conformity made for very stable shooting on very uneven ground. I even pulled off my BipodExt for this match and just used a plain ol' Harris bipod on my LSS chassis and didn't really a stability difference. The new media really soaks up vibration/jitter/shake. When I put the rifle on the barricade with the big bag it was no different than using a big heavy bag except it didn't weigh so much. Still sat on the barricade nicely and as things turned out, the bag doesn't even weigh enough to fall off when not placed perfectly which was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:37:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: headstoner] [#1]
Thats pretty cool OP.

I used to work at a factory 20 +- years ago that made plastics and polymer pellets just like those. Some were super light weight, others were fairly dense and heavy.

It was always neat to see the final products from the pellets we made, like the blue gel inserts from Dr schols.

I do like the idea of using light weight fill, I lift enough heavy stuff as it is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be curious to actually try something like this and compare my time and impacts on a barricade run to using a heavy fill bag.  I think weight does matter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
LMK if you want to try a little. I'm pretty well out of it but I can spare you a few liters from some of my experimental bag designs (just pour one out right ;)) if you want to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be more keen to try if it didn't have to empty my bag, but I'll keep that in mind.   A commonly run stage seems like the most scientific way to test it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm finally officially out of media and the media game. All my bags are filled and all my friends filled their bags and everyone else now has a place to get this cool new media. Just not from me.

I've pinged in to BoxToBenchPrecision.com to ask them to start carrying the new media. I'm acquainted with the owner of B2B from past projects and I know the owner of the media manufacturer so I called up and asked B2B's owner if he'd consider carrying the filler media (since I thought the wider market could use it). B2B's owner was amenable to that idea so I connected B2B with the media manufacturer's owner and it looks like they're doing business now. I'm not involved with that. I'm on to other engineering problems. But you can get the stuff from B2B now which is pretty cool. I sure wouldn't have been able to deal with large volumes of inventory and order processing. It was bad enough of a hassle just getting rid of what I had extra.

I'm now off to other engineering challenges. I've found a company that makes a ridiculously sticky fabric that doesn't rely on any chemical adhesive. I'm going to test some out and see if I can't solve a few other problems with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered 2ltrs to try on a small rear bag.  Looks perfect for a hunting positional bag I am wanting to make.  Hopes up on this stuff.
  Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
You could make such a huge tactical pillow with that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Only while operating tactically though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RULE762:
Only while operating tactically though.
View Quote

If you put a carabiner on it then it’s tactical, and completely not a bean bag chair.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the rear bag worked out perfectly.  Used a dowel to pack more beads into the ears.  ALMOST filled my front bag, but need about 1ltr more.  
  This stuff is amazing.  
 Notes of caution.  I ordered the 2ltr size, and it arrived in a gallon size zip loc bag.  The static inside was terrible.  Used a dryer sheet to wipe down the bag, then passed the sheet around the beads.  This worked.

Shot in the rain, with no appreciable increase in weight of the bag.  I can now clip my bag to my range bag or vest.

Highly recommended product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top