BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2019 6:08:22 PM EDT
Just put together my entry level gun setup for precision:

Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor, 24” barrel
Sig Tango 4 4-24 x 50
Larue LT104 mount

Going to get a bipod, and go from there.  I snagged the scope on clearance, and traded for the rifle, so not a bad overall price of admission.

Anything I’ve missed?

(I know, thread is useless without pics, but everything isn’t here yet....)
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
it's something to start with for sure.  I'll also echo what Rob said. AR mounts are not a good choice for bolt guns.   Way too high and can also be too far forward.  Get a decent set of lower rings and you'll be set to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Enjoy.  I look forward to your first range report.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
it's something to start with for sure.  I'll also echo what Rob said. AR mounts are not a good choice for bolt guns.   Way too high and can also be too far forward.  Get a decent set of lower rings and you'll be set to go.
View Quote
I’ve got a good local source for rings, so if the LaRue mount is too high I can swap them. I’m 6’6 and have a big noggin, so if my guesstimates are correct the LaRue might actually work out.

We’ll see :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
It most likely won't but try it if you want. An adjustable comb would help but you don't want to raise the comb to compensate for an overly high scope mount.
View Quote
The rifle comes with interchangeable combs, but I’ll have some rings on standby.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Larue mount got replaced with Seekins Precision low rings.  Fits much better.'

And the end result:

Should be able to hit the range tomorrow for zeroing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What muzzle brake do you have on there?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to Loctite all your scope and rail fasteners and torque them to specs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#10]
Originally Posted By ParityError:

I’ve got a good local source for rings, so if the LaRue mount is too high I can swap them. I’m 6’6 and have a big noggin, so if my guesstimates are correct the LaRue might actually work out.

We’ll see :)

View Quote

I worked in a gunshot once where the owner said the same thing in order to justify selling the customer a high-dollar AR-style mount for his very new and very expensive bolt gun. He was wrong and so are you. You don't want a mount with 1.5" HoB on a bolt gun, no matter how big your noggin is.

Edit to add I didn't read the entire thread before I posted. Good job on the set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top