Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 8:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver]
This bolt came to be for no reason other than I saw barreled actions at Brownells for $150 last may. Figured why the hell not.

This Howa 1500 is chambered in 308 with the 24 inch varmint contour barrel. Trigger is suprisingly good! I planned on replacing it but honestly it breaks at about 3lbs. Crisp break. 2-stage. I've been known to spend up to 250 on triggers but I can't bring myself to change it. I like it. Rifle has a 3 position safety and works as intended.

Stock is a bell and carlson. The older medalist style with the weatherby style comb. Stock is pillar bedded. The stock required a little filing to able to get everything to fit perfect. While I do like bell and carlson, I liked them better when they were a hundred dollars less.

I didn't go the bottom metal route. Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer my bolts without mags?

Bipod is Harris. Had it for years. Best bipod hands down

The 1-piece base is a 0 moa night force. Mounts are Burris xtr lows.

Scope is the new vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 with the ebr2c reticle.

I came to like the scope, but it isn't without flaws. And for the price that should be expected.

First of all there are no rev counters on the turrets. My shooting lane only goes to 300 yards so for me it's mostly set and forget. I know this is a deal breaker for guys who are dialing at a variety of ranges. Kind of surprised vortex didn't include rev counters

Glass quality from 6x-12x looks phenomenal for the price point Imo. Personally, I think it's clearer at 10x then my SWFA and my Weaver tactical. Though they both come close. From 18x-24x you start to see that chromatic abberation. At 24x it is pronounced. Though still clear and relatively bright. Definitely still usable. Below is a picture of the scope zoomed at 24x.

I have no range report yet. I merely sighted her in. Didn't have a lot of time to play with it. Based on the few shots I hastely put down range. I was happy. Maybe I'll update this post with some targets if I get the time.

Howa barreled action - 150$
Bell and carlson medalist - 270$
Nightforce 1 piece base - 55$
Burris xtr mounts - 65$
Vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 - 350$

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking rifle. Can't beat the price. Post some groups when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good looking rifle!!
I have a 26 inch howa action I bought from Brownell 6 months ago that i have not finish it yet.
How do you like the the medalist ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my howa
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm happy with it. Ive had one on my hunting rifle for 8 years. That stock has been banged around in the woods a bit and still no cracks or damage. Bell and carlson seems to be the sweet spot for me. When you want a nice stock but don't want to Shell out 600 for a manners.

I had to file the channel behind the bolt to allow the bolt to slide through. Small amount with a nail file. And it was the finish/webbing I had to file. Not a big deal.

The pillar bedding is flush. Receiver sits perfectly. Barrel is centered in the channel and free floated all the way. Since it sits perfectly flush on the pillars I didn't bed it. The bell and Carlson's look a little raw and unfinished on the inside. Ive seen manners that look the same. I think they assume you're going to glass bed it anyways. That raw surface allows the bedding to adhere better I'd assume, like most epoxies a rough surface gives it more to grab. Doesn't affect functionality

If you decide to get the medalist 1 be aware that all the ones they make for howa have the weatherby style comb. Which may make it difficult to install a cheek riser in the future, or at least look a little funny if you did. Not sure if the Bradley or kyvex style risers would sit flush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top