Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2018 12:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MeanGun]
FYI, called Ruger the other day to get my hands on the 0 moa base they have available and the rep on the line stated that they only had a few left. Not sure if after that they will continue to support the 0 moa at no cost or not.... so if your looking to get in on this don't waste time.

Here's my setup as of now. it has the 30moa base with a backwards AI 45moa mount! lol
Also did a trigger job, I'm at 13oz

CCI standard has proven to be an excellent value between accuracy and price lately. @ $25 a brick it cant be beat. But with that said you gotta try different things in the gun to see what it likes. Below is my RPR and the target along with ammo i shot for groups. The target is comprised a of four 1" squares making a box 2" x 2" shot at 30 yards, 10 shot groups

I noticed for almost 1/2 of the price of the complete rifle GM will sell you a barrel........ Not sure how much accuracy you need but the OEM barrel does just fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up my RPR and had my first range day yesterday.  I had my best group with CCI Standard Velocity, 2nd best with Aguila Rifle Match...if it wasn't for one flyer in the CCI group, 10 shots would be covered with a dime.

Which customer service phone number are you using to get the 0 MOA rail?  Should I call the Mayodan, NC since that is where they are made?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
ER Shaw sells a very fine drop in match barrel for a very good price as well.  I found that mine liked CCI Standard and Green Label as well as Federal GM Match and Eley Match.  I think the erratic accuracy reports from owners of these rifles is due to the way they are bedded.  I suggest using a dab of bedding compound in the pockets along the sides of the receiver that mate with the tabs molded into the stock to remove any slop.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I did some testing this past weekend with mine because in the other thread there was talk of muzzle devices and thread protectors messing with accuracy.

I can confirm on my rifle accuracy went down the drain with a small muzzle brake.
My accuracy also crapped out with the thread protector off as well.

best accuracy was the rifle left in stock form as far as the barrel goes.
I also noticed the rifle needs cleaned after about 75 rounds and then accuracy comes back.

This was ammo I tested.

This was the target I shot, I abbreviated the ammo types.  
"W TP" means with thread protector
"NO TP" means no thread protector
My best groups were with federal auto match bulk pack, and Eley Edge. The rifle also shoots CCI SV very well and CCI select has produced some excellent groups in the past.
CCI select is my go to with this rifle, but it needs to be clean for best accuracy.

Eley Edge group

Federal auto match bulk pack group (the wind caused the one flier, I should have waited)

I zero the rifle with CCI select since it is my go to ammo for this rifle.
I cleaned the rifle then shot about 4-6 rounds and went to zero in this group
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xLucidx:
I did some testing this past weekend with mine because in the other thread there was talk of muzzle devices and thread protectors messing with accuracy.

I can confirm on my rifle accuracy went down the drain with a small muzzle brake.
My accuracy also crapped out with the thread protector off as well.

best accuracy was the rifle left in stock form as far as the barrel goes.
I also noticed the rifle needs cleaned after about 75 rounds and then accuracy comes back.

This was ammo I tested.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/IMG_0495_zpsndukk2lq.jpg

This was the target I shot, I abbreviated the ammo types.  
"W TP" means with thread protector
"NO TP" means no thread protector
My best groups were with federal auto match bulk pack, and Eley Edge. The rifle also shoots CCI SV very well and CCI select has produced some excellent groups in the past.
CCI select is my go to with this rifle, but it needs to be clean for best accuracy.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/IMG_0496_zpsaearxwgy.jpg

Eley Edge group
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/IMG_0499_zpsshi2elle.jpg

Federal auto match bulk pack group (the wind caused the one flier, I should have waited)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/IMG_0498_zpskxcj472i.jpg

I zero the rifle with CCI select since it is my go to ammo for this rifle.
I cleaned the rifle then shot about 4-6 rounds and went to zero in this group
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/IMG_0501_zpslwd2kygk.jpg
View Quote
You should be shooting at least 20 rounds between groups when switching from one ammo to another to get meaningful data.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/season-your-22lr-barrel-for-best-results.647428/
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

You should be shooting at least 20 rounds between groups when switching from one ammo to another to get meaningful data.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/season-your-22lr-barrel-for-best-results.647428/
View Quote
Ive heard that before, tried it, and saw no difference.
22 plinkster has talked about it before but my experience has been different.
I burnt up a few boxes of different types of match ammo waiting for it to "come in" but everything stayed the same.

Now I just shoot whatever I want, accuracy dosent seem to suffer as proved in my pics. Eley target was the last group I shot that day after roughly 100 rounds of random ammo changing after about every 10 shots and it was one of the better groups.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Was it the wind causing the lateral dispersion in all the groups?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xLucidx] [#7]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Was it the wind causing the lateral dispersion in all the groups?
View Quote
nope, i usually waited for no wind to shoot.

Since I was shooting for groups I didnt shoot at the "bigger" targets, I picked a smaller precise point to aim at. The whole aim small miss small thing.

That being said there was a 1-2 inch shift laterally between different types of ammo.
Eley ammo tends to shoot just a little bit left from my zero.

I guess I should have used MS paint to update with my POA.

ETA: update target. Blue circle reflects POA
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Confirm all those groups are at 30 yards?

You might not want to season the bore with 15-20 shots between ammo flavors, but it does help.

I have yet to find a flavor of copper plated bulk pack that will group worth a shit past 75 yards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xLucidx] [#9]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Confirm all those groups are at 30 yards?

You might not want to season the bore with 15-20 shots between ammo flavors, but it does help.

I have yet to find a flavor of copper plated bulk pack that will group worth a shit past 75 yards.
View Quote
Those groups were at 55 yards. I was to lazy to go move the target 5 yards closer.
I agree copper plated does not seem to do very well.

ETA: just saw op was shooting at 30. My bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally got a chance to shoot mine under calm conditions after getting the ER Shaw barrel on and fixing the bedding.  I just shot a 3/4" five round group at 100 yards shooting prone off the bipod with the suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone once told me that as the distance increases, the really good ammo will shoot better groups than mediocre or cheap ammo.  The idea was that at short distances, all decent quality ammo shoots well but as you stretch things out from 25 to 50 and out to 100 or 200 yards, the premium ammo will continue to shoot well whereas, group sizes for lesser quality ammo will begin to open up and you will see the fliers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone once told me that as the distance increases, the really good ammo will shoot better groups than mediocre or cheap ammo.  The idea was that at short distances, all decent quality ammo shoots well but as you stretch things out from 25 to 50 and out to 100 or 200 yards, the premium ammo will continue to shoot well whereas, group sizes for lesser quality ammo will begin to open up and you will see the fliers.
View Quote
that may be true, especially with high velocity ammo.

I dont know at what distance HV ammo would go transonic
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
The context was standard velocity, match-grade ammo.  We were at a 200 yard match.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]

The context was standard velocity, match-grade ammo.  We were at a 200 yard match.
View Quote
dang 200 is a long way for SV ammo.

last winter when I got my ruger I decided to stretch it out to 200 and the HV ammo shot very well, I want to think the drop was something like 6-7 MOA.
Then I tried some CCI SV and Eley target and it was like shooting rainbows, the sun was just right an I could actually see the bullet lob in and see the wind catch it.

oddly enough the best ammo that day was federal auto match.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]

last winter when I got my ruger I decided to stretch it out to 200 and the HV ammo shot very well, I want to think the drop was something like 6-7 MOA.
Then I tried some CCI SV and Eley target and it was like shooting rainbows, the sun was just right an I could actually see the bullet lob in and see the wind catch it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just last weekend I shot the Long Range Only/ ELR Central Extreme Long Range rimfire match.  We shot from 220 to over 550 yards.  Just about everyone shot subsonic match ammo.  Even very good high velocity will lose a great deal of accuracy when it drops through the sound barrier.  High velocity 22lr also suffers a lot more wind drift than subsonic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

It really depends on muzzle velocity, BC, atmosphere, etc, but it's generally between 200 and 300, maybe a bit more if you're shooting something like Aguila's 1700 fps 40 grain.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoser] [#17]
Rumor has it the match winner was shooting a Ruger with Eley ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Rumor has it the match winner was shooting a Ruger with Eley ammo.
View Quote
Yes Sir.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I finally got a chance to shoot mine under calm conditions after getting the ER Shaw barrel on and fixing the bedding.  I just shot a 3/4" five round group at 100 yards shooting prone off the bipod with the suppressor on it.
View Quote
Did you leave the threaded portion on your ER Shaw barrel?

GM's barrels are threaded too except for the 22 inch.  That seems a curious choice for this rifle.  I'd think a 16 inch barrel with plain 11 degree crown would be what people would seek.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By zukiphile:

GM's barrels are threaded too except for the 22 inch.  That seems a curious choice for this rifle.  I'd think a 16 inch barrel with plain 11 degree crown would be what people would seek.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zukiphile:

I did leave the threads on the ER Shaw barrel.  It shoots very well as is.  The Shaw barrels are double stress relieved so there should be no distortion in the bore when it's turned down for threading.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#21]
I was initially impressed with my RPRf, but not sure if I'm having unrealistic expectations. I've read a few threads about questionable accuracy with these rifles. I bought it to shoot clay pigeons out to 200m, teach my son about range estimation, etc. I was expecting around MOA precision with decent ammo, but am getting closer to 2 MOA out of it. Mine is equipped with SWFA SS 6x42. Thoughts?

10rd groups from bench rest @ 25yd indoor

Avg 1.85 MOA with CCI SV; 1.74 Eley Club

For reference, same ammo and magazine from my 10/22 w/ Simmons .22 MAG 4x32

Avg. 3.5 - 4 MOA

If those were 50yd groups, I would be very satisfied.

Groups at actual range, under calm conditions are coming in around 2.5-3.5 MOA

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
I was initially impressed with my RPRf, but not sure if I'm having unrealistic expectations. I've read a few threads about questionable accuracy with these rifles. I bought it to shoot clay pigeons out to 200m, teach my son about range estimation, etc. I was expecting around MOA precision with decent ammo, but am getting closer to 2 MOA out of it. Mine is equipped with SWFA SS 6x42. Thoughts?

10rd groups from bench rest @ 25yd indoor
https://i.imgur.com/Xq7ecN3.jpg
Avg 1.85 MOA with CCI SV; 1.74 Eley Club

For reference, same ammo and magazine from my 10/22 w/ Simmons .22 MAG 4x32
https://i.imgur.com/lWLvqFT.jpg
Avg. 3.5 - 4 MOA

If those were 50yd groups, I would be very satisfied.

Groups at actual range, under calm conditions are coming in around 2.5-3.5 MOA
https://i.imgur.com/xPYWFz9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ndZZEdJ.jpg
View Quote
That is typical of the groups mine was shooting even after installing the ER Shaw match barrel, but after fixing the bedding it now shoots sub moa at 100 yards.  Get some steel putty like this and put a tiny dab in each of the little pockets milled out of the receiver sides and torque the action screws to 30 in lbs, let it sit for a few hours, then try it again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]

That is typical of the groups mine was shooting even after installing the ER Shaw match barrel, but after fixing the bedding it now shoots sub moa at 100 yards.  Get some steel putty like this and put a tiny dab in each of the little pockets milled out of the receiver sides and torque the action screws to 30 in lbs, let it sit for a few hours, then try it again.
View Quote
I appreciate your feedback and input. I submitted a CS inquiry asking what the expected level of precision is for these guns, with a synopsis of my results. Ruger asked me to send the gun back to Mayodan. We'll see what the results are and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#24]
I only found three ammo types that were consistent sub MOA. CCI Green Tag, SK Rifle Match, and Eley 10 Ring. Everything else had flyers. Oddly, Blazer shot pretty decent for cheap ammo. The worst was Eley Subsonic HP. Shot about 7 MOA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Quick question - Does this JB Weld stick to both action/receiver and chassis/stock?  Thx!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't tried to take it apart yet, so I can't say.  At the time I really didn't care, but you should use a release agent on one or the other, the same as with any bedding job.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
After a few hundred round of various price ranges, I have to say I am a little disappointed in the RPR.  Best I was able to get was 0.45" with Eley Target @ 50 yards.  I'm going back to my CZ 455 Tacticool...I consistently get sub MOA with Federal Auto Match, and .25" with Eley Target @ 50 yards.

I liked the tactical look and feel, but my CZ is much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't tried to take it apart yet, so I can't say.  At the time I really didn't care, but you should use a release agent on one or the other, the same as with any bedding job.
View Quote
Thank you.  I actually found discussions online about using JB weld as bedding compound.  WD-40 is the ticket in this particular application so I used JB steel putty and bedded my 6.5 g in the Boyd stock.  Beautiful combination of JB putty and WD-40 (as release agent) for rifle bedding, much cleaner and easier than Accra-Glass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]
A follow-up to my RPRf experience... Sent the rifle back to Ruger and got it back in about a week with a new barrel. Off a bipod at short range, I didn’t notice any improvement.

I finally got around to bedding the action and the indoor range to test group size. Group size did improve some and I do have fewer fliers. In the end, the gun groups more consistently, but it’s still a 1.5 MOA shooter (down from ~1.75MOA). I did have one group come in at 1.4 MOA with 9/10 rounds in a .4MOA group. Too bad you can’t ignore fliers.

I don note that this gun is very sensitive to stock input. A little bit of pressure on the gun tends to open up group size.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
A follow-up to my RPRf experience... Sent the rifle back to Ruger and got it back in about a week with a new barrel. Off a bipod at short range, I didn’t notice any improvement.

I finally got around to bedding the action and the indoor range to test group size. Group size did improve some and I do have fewer fliers. In the end, the gun groups more consistently, but it’s still a 1.5 MOA shooter (down from ~1.75MOA). I did have one group come in at 1.4 MOA with 9/10 rounds in a .4MOA group. Too bad you can’t ignore fliers.

I don note that this gun is very sensitive to stock input. A little bit of pressure on the gun tends to open up group size.
View Quote
How/where did you bed it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:59:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#31]

How/where did you bed it?
View Quote
Bedded at the front and rear action screws:

I did not bed the pillar with the ejector and magazine hardware in case it needed to be serviced later. Looking at it again, I believe this part needs to be fixed the the stock to give more rigidity. I noticed the stock seems to just spread out as the rear action screw is torqued beyond 20-25 in-lb.

I may drill the stock at the mag catch pivot/retainer pin and replace the stock pin with a roll/spring pin. This way the block can be fixed to add structural rigidity and still have the means to service the parts later.

Additionally, I may pillar bed the front and add bedding to the contact points with the rail/hand guard:

I'm curious if filling the void space behind the action will add any rigidity:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top