Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2022 9:28:24 AM EDT
Any recommendations on a scope for a muzzle loader?

Trying to stay under $350, I'd like 4x and maybe up to 10x. Prefer variable, but OK with fixed. Most hunting situations are within a 100 yard's.

The one I used has no sights or rings currently, and at 60yards or so I don't feel comfortable taking a deer with irons.

I haven't looked at ballistics, not sure if a reticle with BDC is needed for the range I intend to use it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:53:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
You need to hit a dinner plate at 100 yards...  any good optic will work.  You could get the job done with your favorite red dot optic with 1x magnification.  If you want a magnified optic, I wouldn't get a fixed low power optic.  Nothing greater than 4x magnification.  I have a fixed 2.5x optic on a 357 mag lever action rifle that is just sweet - fast target acquisition and a lot better than iron sights...

YMMV...
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My muzzleloaders and slug guns all have 1.5-6x scopes. 2-7x would be fine too, maybe better. I usually leave them on about 2x for walking around the woods but turn them up some if on stand with a longer shot being likely. All have simple duplex with red dot that can be turned on (Burris Electro dot). I don't like bdc, or any other busy reticles for short range hunting.

Sorry I can't offer specifics. The scopes I'm talking about have been discontinued for a long time. Burris 200719. I'd definitely look for something similar to put on a muzzleloader.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Check first to see if your hunting rules will allow it.  Many will not.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: truculenity] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Check first to see if your hunting rules will allow it.  Many will not.
View Quote

Interesting, had not heard of restrictions. Is that by state, wma, or hunt club?

If I read it correctly, FL allows telescopic sights.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The leupold VX Freedom line can usually be had for around $300. Most of them are the 3x9 power variety. Some have ballistic type crosshairs, but most of them are duplex reticle models.

https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflescopes/series/vx-freedom-rifle-scopes
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
On my 90's rusted Remington 700ml I kept the old Burris 4x fixed scope it came with.
Works well and keep zero. Buddy borrowed it and killed a doe with it.

When I sell that for a newer one the scope goes with me as it just works
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top