Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2018 7:08:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
I used a bag for a week's long range shooting, then decided that I wanted to try a rear bipod, spent the money on an atlas and found myself spending too much time adjusting it when moving from shooting positions, so back to the bag I am.

ETA In short on the bench the bipod is gtg, out in the field not so much; imho.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#2]
Bag.

I found that a monopod, while a good idea in theory, results in the rifle rear "hopping" under recoil.  Found myself adjusting it after every shot.

A bag is just more stable and much quicker to adjust.

I no longer use the atlas monopod I bought
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the Atlas monopod and never could get comfortable with it. Too much movement, too jumpy with recoil, etc. Went back to a rear bag and have no issues.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Bag it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Any recommendations on a rear bag?
View Quote
Wiebad mini cube is tough and works well.

I also filled a shot bag and use it.

Both work well.  I'd recommend using small diameter fill material as its easier to adjust and hold the adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#9]
Another bag user here...

Why?  Fast, easy, cheap, effective...  and you can make your own to suite your needs, wants, & desires...  I've made 2 or 3 and bought a few as well...
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Bag.

I found that a monopod, while a good idea in theory, results in the rifle rear "hopping" under recoil.  Found myself adjusting it after every shot.

A bag is just more stable and much quicker to adjust.

I no longer use the atlas monopod I bought and I replaced the monopod on my mpa chassis with a bag rider.
View Quote
I agree with Rob, right down to the same chassis and monopod(my mono is still on the rifle though)....

I use one of these 4 bags, all from Triad tactical...my favorite is the wedge....
2 tab bags, 1 triad wedge and 1 red tac gear bag
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:32:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#11]
I have lightweight filled Wiebad and a cheap heavy poly-filled Crosstac. Prefer the Crosstac due to weight. Had to remove 10% of the fill though. I think any heavy filled poly bag would be great, as stated... a sock would work. Heavier fill removes tiny high frequency vibrations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to necro this to thank everyone here who saved me from wasting money on a monopod. I didn't even think of using bags but they look a lot better to use.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
just saved me a hundred bucks guess i will buy more ammo
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
For those who really want an adjustable type rear rest..If I was going to use one, it would be this one..expensive, but for real repeatable stability for ELR this is what I would use...

His store...
https://4aw-store.myshopify.com
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried both a rear bag and an Atlas monopod for a Prairie Dog Hunt last year. Ended up using the monopod in my left hand all the time. I left the monopod loose on the rifle, held it in my hand, and then just shifted my hand from horizontal to vertical until I got the right position. I found it faster than the rear bag or trying to dial in the monopod.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]
In the beginning I used both pretty equal but slowly went to the bag.  The monopod was nice but the bag just felt easier to use.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By minimike:
I tried both a rear bag and an Atlas monopod for a Prairie Dog Hunt last year. Ended up using the monopod in my left hand all the time. I left the monopod loose on the rifle, held it in my hand, and then just shifted my hand from horizontal to vertical until I got the right position. I found it faster than the rear bag or trying to dial in the monopod.
View Quote

That’s exactly how you are supposed to use it. I’m surprised by the number of people that don’t know that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AR_Tech:

That’s exactly how you are supposed to use it. I’m surprised by the number of people that don’t know that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR_Tech:
Originally Posted By minimike:

It's how I used it and it's still less than ideal. I can squeeze a bag, that holds shape, to reduce elevation OR lever a monopod on a pivot.  The bag is more stable shot after shot.  IMO, the only place a monopod has the advantage is if you have to hike in to a hunting spot and make longer range shots...in that case, toting a squeeze bag could be a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top