Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
Picked up a Model Seven Threaded a few weeks back as I have wanted one for years. Got the .308 version. Having some probs with the scope mounting screw holes, but I am anxious to get it out and shoot! $600 OTD from my dealer.

The trigger feels decent, a buddy has my scale so I haven’t measured it. I’ll probably upgrade to a timney eventually.

I believe it came with an EGW 20 MOA rail, there is a part number on the bottom of it so i’ll look It up.

KUIU pattern stock is cool, the butt pad feels nice but it isn’t the most centered.

I want to have a compact, full powered rifle that is lightweight and easy to carry when a traditional hunting rifle isn’t convenient. Cougar is in season year round here. Bear is also a VERY long season. This is kind of a 4 wheeler/ranch rifle, even though we only have 5 acres of property, we spend a good bit of time out on BLM. It will serve kind of as a Scout rifle, but with a less tactical role. More of a utility rifle for shooting critters.

As for optics, I am a bit conflicted. I have a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 I got on clearance for $150. I with I would have got the VX2 for an extra $50 now, I didn’t realize they were being discontinued. I have a set of low Burris Zee rings that should do nicely. I originally bought this set up for my wife’s Savage .308, but then I bought her a new hunting rifle and the old Nikon will serve fine for a back up rifle.
I am incredibly tempted to purchase a Natchez Weaver 3-10x40 but I feel like the knobs will get in the way and make it more cumbersome to carry. Any suggestions on optics? If I buy something new, it will have to be in the $300ish or less range.

Eventually I want to put CDI bottom metal on this rifle and run Magpul AI pattern mags. Maybe next year.

Any suggestions on a sling? I have lots of hunting rifle slings, but they seem a little bulky for this little guy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Model 7 308 that weighs just shy of 7pounds. It Is  SS synthetic.

Leupy 2.5-8x36,Talley one piece rings and an older butler creek nylon sling....very light!!!

Some people want a 40mm scope but to me this defeats the purpose of the model 7,I'm partial to the 2.5-8x36 and have several on various rifles hard to beat their weight etc,all of them are older models when leupolds were worth a shit.

My little rig will do MOA or better with my hand loads but not in long strings of shots,Cold barrel shot is dead on and about 3" high at 100yrds.

As far as trigger,if it's an X mark pro I'd replace it with a Timmney,If it is a Walker (older style) they can be adjusted IF you know what you're doing.

My m7's have the older trigger the first one is a very early 80's rifle and came from the factory adjusted to about 3.5lbs,The 308 came from the factory with a 8lb trigger it now is 3.5 lbs

Before all the experts step in I've never had a problem with ANY of my Remy's triggers or otherwise and all of them do MOA some less.Hell even my M7's will do MOA the damn thing is not a range rifle anyway it's a hunting rifle

Want to lighten it some more and lighten your pocket book?? take a look at the McMillian hunters edge stock for it and yeah I know about McMillians "prostaff" issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top