Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 6:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hornetdriver]
About 14 years ago (updated later on) I wrote two papers on Mils and MOA and the Range Equations. One is a more in depth paper on the subject of what a Mil and MOA are and where the range equations come from. The other is the same but with far less math for those not interested in that part. It's a background on the subject and will probably put you to sleep, but at least you'll know what they are and how to use them....or you can use your laser range finder....

They're free and feel free to pass them along. You can find them and download them at the links below:

Thank you.

long version

shorter version

or here (you might have to subscribe though):

long version

shorter version

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
good stuff...!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Or pull out the mildot master
View Quote
LOL. Or that...

The paper is an academic paper on the math behind the mil dot master. It's for those curious about how the mil dot master works. Or a sleep aid, it's good for either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
moa / 3.4377 = mils. Nobody needs to understand squat to use them. They're just numbers on a dial if you're smart enough to let it be just numbers on a dial. If you're a dork like me and math is your huckleberry, then you can choose to really dig into some trig but otherwise, save your effort for useful things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hornetdriver] [#5]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
moa / 3.4377 = mils. Nobody needs to understand squat to use them. They're just numbers on a dial if you're smart enough to let it be just numbers on a dial. If you're a dork like me and math is your huckleberry, then you can choose to really dig into some trig but otherwise, save your effort for useful things.
View Quote
That's one way to look at it. Again, it's an academic paper for those wanting the background on the subject. You definitely don't need it to use them. But like some people want to know how their cars or computers work, they like to delve into it a bit more. It's like learning the math behind multiplication, division, adding, subtraction...then breaking out your calculator. It's not for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Even easier to learn and use:  https://precisionrifletraining.net/snipers-hide-patch/
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, thank you for posting.  It is interesting to see the math side of the equation, I might have just learned something!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hornetdriver] [#8]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:
Even easier to learn and use:  https://precisionrifletraining.net/snipers-hide-patch/
View Quote
Frank has my papers posted on his site under "Resources" also (14th one down):

Snipers Hide Resources

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Will read,  thank you
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Hornet driver,

Thanks for the info, it was a good read. Having gone through one of the military’s sniper schools using the old Leupold Mk 4 M3A scope, it would have been good to have learned a lot of this stuff. I’ve put off switching to mils/mils scopes because I didn’t understand them and didn’t want to get them confused. This made a lot of sense to me and makes conversations between them different retical types simpler.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Grumpy5:
Hornet driver,

Thanks for the info, it was a good read. Having gone through one of the military's sniper schools using the old Leupold Mk 4 M3A scope, it would have been good to have learned a lot of this stuff. I've put off switching to mils/mils scopes because I didn't understand them and didn't want to get them confused. This made a lot of sense to me and makes conversations between them different retical types simpler.
View Quote
WOW Grumpy5! Coming from somebody like you with your background, that means a lot! Thank you. Bob
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Checked on the links, they're still good and work. If you have problems, I can send you the papers via other methods, like email, text etc. Thanks, Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top