Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2023 9:17:02 AM EDT
Finally got around to getting my Ruger American set up and want to purchase a couple different types of ammo to run through it.

I’m looking at the FGMM in 130 & 140 grain, Hornady Match EL-D in 120 & 140 and Winchester Match 140 grain. I know I’ll get the answer after a range trip but for those of you who own this rifle or similar: what are you finding is most accurate, 120’s or 140’s?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
Finally got around to getting my Ruger American set up and want to purchase a couple different types of ammo to run through it.

I’m looking at the FGMM in 130 & 140 grain, Hornady Match EL-D in 120 & 140 and Winchester Match 140 grain. I know I’ll get the answer after a range trip but for those of you who own this rifle or similar: what are you finding is most accurate, 120’s or 140’s?
View Quote
 I can't speak for Ruger
6.5 CM 20" barrels in 1:8 twist, but my 20" Aero Precision chambered in 6.5CM with 1:8 twist performs exceptionally well with 147gr. Hornady Match ELD ever so slightly over 140 gr. Match ELD.

Both shoot sub 1/2" inch groups with the 147 shooting +/- .25" groups at 100 yds and the 140gr in just under .5" groups.

130gr. FGMM shoots around .75" groups in that same barrel.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too shabby! @charliedontsurf
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
Not too shabby! @charliedontsurf
View Quote

Of course, YMMV, just my experience in another brands' barrel in the same caliber, barrel length, and twist rate shot with factory Match loads.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd skip the 120 eld-m. Your rifle has a 1:8 twist. Take advantage of that and try 147 eld-m instead. The 120 eld-m has the lowest BC of all the rounds mentioned and even though it'll be faster at the muzzle, it will actually be slower starting around 600 yards. It will also require more windage adjustment than the heavier rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top