Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 9:25:58 PM EST
Anybody ever strap the magnetospeed to the side of a barrel or handguard? And if so, did this work ok?
fnh
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:13:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#1]
Never done that myself.

However, someone here found that the POI seemed to change away from the bayo, ie, normally a higher POI with the bayo normally attached than without. If the bayo is attached to the side of the bullet path, then the POI should shift more to the opposite side rather than mostly up.

Regardless of whether those tests proved the point . . . since those tests were performed with the bayo attached at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock versus the standard 6 o'clock, it's clear any position around the bullet path will work fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:15:36 PM EST
[#2]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
Anybody ever strap the magnetospeed to the side of a barrel or handguard? And if so, did this work ok?
View Quote
Read popnfresh's thread about Labradar v Magnetospped v Shooting Chrony.  In it he states that he mounted the bayo at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, and 3 o'clock and the groups shifted for each position.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:16:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#3]
Yes, it's been done, and it works the same as mounting to a barrel/suppressor. I believe I read that some companies are starting to offer mounts. I can't find any now, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

You can see it mounted to his rifle in this video:
Sniper's Hide Interviews David Tubb Ko2M
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:23:38 PM EST
[#4]
Awesome guys, exactly what I was looking for. Got a 6.5" barrel in 300 blackout that I'm going to be reloading for and the magnetospeed will be best suited attached to the side of the rail.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:41:34 PM EST
[#5]
MPA makes a bayonet mount for the magneto speed to go straight onto their spigot mount...I doubt it would be to hard to adapt the setup over to any other stock/chassis setup..It uses Arca-Swiss type mounts so at most you would need to attach an Arca-Swiss plate(amazon) to the front of your stock...MPA even offers a very thin Arca plate to mount to their spigot mount that maybe easy enough to attach to a stock...

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-rat-magnetospeed-adaptor/

Arca-Swiss plate
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:03:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: ocabj] [#6]
I bought a MagnetoSpeed V3 a few months back even though I have been running the LabRadar since 2016, simply because I wanted to try the chassis/stock mounted options.

That being said, I have both the MPA MagnetoSpeed mount and the Wiser Precision MagnetoSpeed mount.

I would have to say the Wiser is better. The MPA mount is strictly for MPA chassis systems. You could probably try to run it on other chassis systems if you cobbled together adapters and spacers, but it is just not ideal. The Wiser will truly be cross rifle.

As far as running on the side, I was going to try to do this with the Wiser, but I never got around to installing Picatinny rails on the side of my MPA BA Comp or use my AICS which has side Picatinny rails.

https://www.ocabj.net/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph-and-masterpiece-arms-magnetospeed-mount-review/
https://www.ocabj.net/wiser-precision-magnetospeed-v3-mount-review/

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:43:57 AM EST
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ocabj:
I bought a MagnetoSpeed V3 a few months back even though I have been running the LabRadar since 2016, simply because I wanted to try the chassis/stock mounted options.

That being said, I have both the MPA MagnetoSpeed mount and the Wiser Precision MagnetoSpeed mount.

I would have to say the Wiser is better. The MPA mount is strictly for MPA chassis systems. You could probably try to run it on other chassis systems if you cobbled together adapters and spacers, but it is just not ideal. The Wiser will truly be cross rifle.

As far as running on the side, I was going to try to do this with the Wiser, but I never got around to installing Picatinny rails on the side of my MPA BA Comp or use my AICS which has side Picatinny rails.

https://www.ocabj.net/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph-and-masterpiece-arms-magnetospeed-mount-review/
https://www.ocabj.net/wiser-precision-magnetospeed-v3-mount-review/

https://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Ocab-20180523-071021-1200.jpg

https://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Ocab-20180711-080303-1200.jpg
View Quote
Damn good looking chassis system.

I got out and finally shot my AR pistol and yes, the magnetospeed does work on the side and yes, it does work attached to a rail. No adapters used, I just strapped it on the side of the rail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:28:17 AM EST
[#8]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
View Quote
I did an experiment with it at 3, 6 ,9 and 12 oclock to show that it "pushed" the bullet away from it.

So if you have an impact change it will be away from the bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:56:58 PM EST
[#9]
I'm curious is the shift in poi acts the same with a suppressor or without. I'm assuming the shift is because of the cushion of gas escaping around the bullet pushing it away from the bayonet? If so the effect should be less with a suppressor since it is capturing and slowing down the escaping gas.

Mk machining makes a rail mount magnetospeed mount as well. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but it seems well made.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:16:45 PM EST
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:47:05 PM EST
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I know there's a shift in POI with the Magnetospeed attached. Does it also affect group size?
View Quote
Generally the answer seems to be no but on a light profile barrel I could see it having a noticeable effect.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:49:48 PM EST
[#12]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I know there's a shift in POI with the Magnetospeed attached. Does it also affect group size?
View Quote
I suspect that it depends on the rifle. I know from personal experience it killed the group size on my .750 AR10 when attached to my suppressor.

If I had to guess, the thicker the contour and the shorter the barrel, the less variation you'll see.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:07:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: MadCowRacer] [#13]
Side will work

Handguard will not

You need to have both sensors in the right distance window from end of the barrel.

I have a pistol AR that I can't use my magneto speed with because of the handguard.

As to if it will work on a suppressor, probably not.  Pickups did not work on mine, and ended up with various sensor errors.

I've simply gone to using the F1 chrony for subs and anything my magneto speed will not attach to.

I've never seen a grouping difference, but a slight POI shift.  Probably less than I see between switching back and forth between the suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:26:20 PM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:

Handguard will not
View Quote
I strapped it to the side of my handguard and it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:31:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: Demphna2] [#15]

Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:42:18 AM EST
[#16]
I finally tried the mkm machining mount last weekend. It only comes with about a 12" steel rod which would probably be ok for most but with a suppressor it's short. I tried a longer piece of alluminum rod. Too light and flexible, never did get a reading. I picked up a steel rod to try.

What I did notice was that between suppressed with a cover and suppressed, no cover and the magnetospeed at 6 oclock there was no shift that I could detect.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:32:17 PM EST
[#17]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
I finally tried the mkm machining mount last weekend. It only comes with about a 12" steel rod which would probably be ok for most but with a suppressor it's short. I tried a longer piece of alluminum rod. Too light and flexible, never did get a reading. I picked up a steel rod to try.

What I did notice was that between suppressed with a cover and suppressed, no cover and the magnetospeed at 6 oclock there was no shift that I could detect.
View Quote
I bought a longer rod for mine too. Be careful because the tip of the Magnetospeed angles in. You don’t want to shoot it off. I did have to bump up the sensitivity to 5 so it would read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top