Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2018 4:25:39 PM EDT
I'm all the time forgetting my printed DOPE sheets in the car or more often at home as I rush off to a match. Once I get to the match I usually make it into stage 3 before my phone dies and I lose access to my app. Hopefully I was on the ball enough to get my stage DOPE written down on the hike between stages but usually that's a time frustrated thing as I have newbs on my heels that I'm having to take care of and they're never prepared in the slightest so I'm having to help them get stage DOPE, etc... leaving me zero time to do my own DOPE writing. So how to deal with teaching newbs, getting my DOPE ready & handy, dealing with my own forgetfulness and practice PACE a little better?

At my last match it occurred to me that the two things I have never once forgotten are my water bottle and my phone. So, how about I just put ballistics data on those in a way that doesn't rub off or require batteries?

I present to you my latest accessories. Since I know someone will ask, yes, I can make one for you. PM here or email ballisticxlr at gmail if interested.

Aluminum water bottle.

iPhone 7Plus case (can also do Galaxy)

Whatcha think?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That rocks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cough...ammo box...cough cough

Or, a laminated sheet within your range bag/match pack.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Cough...ammo box...cough cough

Or, a laminated sheet within your range bag/match pack.
View Quote
Box? What box? My ammo doesn't come from boxes that have writing on them. I only shoot handloads. My ammo actually comes from a good size cooler in some matches and from box magazines pulled from my drag bag in others. What kind of silliness is even suggesting that though? I'm betting that was a joke. If not, man I'm starting to think you're not familiar with long range. That said, I'm still betting it was a poorly pulled off joke. ASCII doesn't convey tone of voice. So, you get half a laugh. Ha.

Laminating pulp based paper is stupid and pointless. If that offends some folks, they should keep reading. It ends up with the surprise of your data being bubbled and illegible at the worst possible time. Ask me how I know. As it sits, I actually make and sell waterproof (& bloodproof, tearproof, scratch resistant) printed tables at ballisticxlr.com. Might check it out.  The stuff I make doesn't need laminating. I've literally tossed one of my data kits in the ocean for 3 months with zero negative effect.

The point I'm by slow degrees getting to is: You need multiple sources of data on-hand if you're going to hunt or compete and not have the odd terrible day. What happens when your batteries die and your little piece of laminated paper joins the eastern wind & goes walkabout? Is your day over? Is your match ended? Mine isn't because I have backups and backups for my backups. This is the P.A.C.E. principle (Primary, Auxiliary, Contingency, Emergency). A phone app or Kestrel is Primary for most folks (for me it's Auxiliary). Printed data sets on paper or synthetic media is usually Auxiliary (for me it's primary because it's faster). The data set on my water bottle or phone case is for the Contingency that the first 2 are gone. I also memorized 1 temperature band of data at 100yrd increments for Emergencies.

I have some common data sets for 20" .308's with 168 or 175 SMK's and for 24" 6.5CM's with 140 & 147 ELD-M's already set up. https://shop.spreadshirt.com/38346/?noCache=true Custom stuff is available upon request. PM me if you want custom stuff. Pricing is the same for custom as for inventory.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]

This is a better idea
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#6]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

Box? What box? My ammo doesn't come from boxes that have writing on them. I only shoot handloads. My ammo actually comes from a good size cooler in some matches and from box magazines pulled from my drag bag in others. What kind of silliness is even suggesting that though? I'm betting that was a joke. If not, man I'm starting to think you're not familiar with long range. That said, I'm still betting it was a poorly pulled off joke. ASCII doesn't convey tone of voice. So, you get half a laugh. Ha.
View Quote
I always take an Ammo box to the range or matches, typically multiple. Gun no go boom without it. I also have my DOPE on a laminated card in my bag, rifle cases and on my armband data holder.

What I was hinting at, was a means of printing your nifty wizbang DA sheets in a format that would fit in MTM or other brand Ammo boxes. Small enough to not occlude reloading data, or with a Velcro stripped backing so that it could be removed when documenting your load data. Or.....and, I know this sounds crazy, you include a space on the card where a label for reloading data would fit!

But yeah....who needs an ammo box.

Just happened to be cleaning the reloading bench shelves when I saw your reply.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Makes more sense but I don't take those to the range. I don't even keep my ammo in them. Few people I know do, mostly old timers (which is funny coming from me, I'm old. hehe)

I could easily format them to fit in a nifty spot in a handloaders ammo box but I would need dimensions. I have a few boxes like that but they were inherited and I have no need for purchasing more just to measure them. I use ammo cans for primary storage and dragging ammo around for informal shooting stuff. For formal, it's magazines and/or a cooler.

I have a badass adhesive backed version that's meant for sticking on stuff. If you would post up some pics with arrow's and dimensions and maybe some ballistics data (and PM me a mailing address) I'd happily crank out a demo/test unit and send it to you for a little testing (freebie!) and eval. The adhesive is waterproof already but I'm curious how it'll do in the presence of gun oils and solvents that are latent around this kinda kit. This assumes though that you shoot very regularly. Given the box collection and hoarding all the damned H4350 I'm betting this isn't an issue for you. ;)
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the iPhone case is a pretty slick idea.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
So that's where all of the H4350 has gone I be that's just your quick access stash lol

Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I always take an Ammo box to the range or matches, typically multiple. Gun no go boom without it. I also have my DOPE on a laminated card in my bag, rifle cases and on my armband data holder.

What I was hinting at, was a means of printing your nifty wizbang DA sheets in a format that would fit in MTM or other brand Ammo boxes. Small enough to not occlude reloading data, or with a Velcro stripped backing so that it could be removed when documenting your load data. Or.....and, I know this sounds crazy, you include a space on the card where a label for reloading data would fit!

But yeah....who needs an ammo box.

https://i.imgur.com/TeR2DaX.jpg

Just happened to be cleaning the reloading bench shelves when I saw your reply.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey SuperJ, hook me up with that info and I'll set you up with a demo set. See how they work out in real world use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Wrote down the dimensions last night. I’ll send you the info and my load info later today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Rock *. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Approximate dimensions for a decent fit.
(H x W)

RS-100
4.00 x 4.25”

RS-50
1.875 x 4.25”

RM-50
2.125 x 5.250”

R-100
3.625 x 5.750”

The R-100’s have enough finned material to expand the dimensions if you need to use larger font:
6.750 x 6.00”

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Killer. Shoot me some ballistics data for any load you like and a mailing address by PM or email to ballisticxlr at gmail and I'll get you a test unit. See how they work in practice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like this idea, I too use the MTM case guard boxes and they are great for keeping ammo from being damaged when tossed around. If you by any chance start producing labels like this I would definitely be interested in picking up a few.

I like the Velcro idea as well, I have a ton of double sided Velcro stickers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
So, I'm going to be shipping SuperJLarge some demo units out today. If y'all would please begin haggling about layout and such. I'm happy to produce whatever people really need but the fewer SKU's the better.  I bought some MTM cases just so I could get the sizing right and try different ways of attaching them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's pics of prototypes and I've nailed the method of attachment. You can use an easy to find and inexpensive spray adhesive. They pull off easy and the cleanup is simple so you don't get buildup of bits of adhesive in your ammo box. I've shown a few attachment positioning options, they all used a single adhesive application directly to the case. One of them has data for SJL's .223, the other for his 6.5CM so you can see how things look with max ranges of 1000-1500yrd/m.

What'cha think? Is this a win?

Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I like it, I use MTM cases while shooting and they are always right next to my rifle, I think it’s a great idea. As for positioning I think you have nailed it with those due to the fact that there isnt much more area to put them in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#19]
If one other person wants to try them out, hit me up at [email protected] and I'll set the first guy up with a freebie. Target price on these if I were to sell them, given the time it takes is $15 each shipped and they're all fully custom made. If folks like it I'm ready to make them by the dozens any time. Turnaround time now that I got all the base work done is 2 days to mail from time of payment.

Remember, this isn't paper. It's nearly indestructible Revlar polymer. If you want to see how tough: Revlar vs. Paper Video
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
These are now available for buy-it-now at https://ballisticxlr.com/ballisticxlr-accessories/
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Also added a TON of additional products and services. I now have iPad cases (hard case), all the phone case models (some hard cases included), aluminum water bottles, travel mugs, camping style coffee cups, mouse pads, beer mugs and t-shirts and, of course, the MTM case labels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
https://i.imgur.com/vqSZk1N.jpg

This is a better idea
View Quote
Allot of good suggestions out here but this caught my eye. Maybe something the quarterbacks uses with dope sheets inside. Been looking for something for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I already make 3x5's for arm boards. Check out my site, ballisticxlr.com on the printed products page.

I made these for Nico Detour, pro-shooter for US Optics. They're set up with 5/10/15/20mph wind at 100yrd intervals on 500FT Density Altitude brackets.

Also make these which are Absolute Atmospheric Density instead of Density Altitude. These include a BDC chart option:

And these which come with spin drift numbers, movers and +/-1"Hg DOPE modification values:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top