Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2018 5:20:00 PM EDT
is this really that crucial and important.    was going to pick up a bartlein barrel and use a jp bcg.

are these things close enough, so to speak?  i mean, i can easily check the headspace myself but as far as accuracy goes,   matched bolt or not matched bolt---still the same?

i put a jp supermatch on my ar and use a lmt enhanced bcg,   shoots pretty darn accurate.

what is the consensus of the hive mind?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never bothered with headspacing, nor known anyone that did. I've also never known anyone that's had a problem with their AR.

I'm building a precision upper and a rifle for a friend though, and I dropped those barrel/bolts off to get headspaced. Why? Partly because I was dropping them off for gas block dimpling anyways, so I might as well, and partly because I just wanted to be sure I covered all my bases on each setup.

I've no concerns about it and doubt I ever would have known a difference if I had or hadn't, but for how cheap it was I didn't find a reason not to.

If you'd have to go spend a significant (to you) amount of time and money, maybe don't bother. Whether that's driving a long way to a smith or having to get your own go/no-go gauges. But if it's convenient/easy/cheap, then I say just go for it for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Not crucial IMO
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Never have after 20 or so assemblies.  All shot well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume we're talking about an AR15 platform here, correct?  If we're talking about large platform AR's like .308's, 6.5CM's, etc. in different brand bolt and barrel combinations, then I'd say it's highly recommended to check headspace.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Most accurate AR barrels I've owned did NOT have a matching bolt.

BTW, I'm running a Bartlein right now and it ran the same with a mil-spec bolt or a Young Manufacturing. Hell of a good barrel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had 1 instance with 5.56 NATO of a bolt not closing on a GO gage.

had 2 instances of AR-308 closing on a NO-GO gage, swapping to a different bolt solved those.

out of about 2 dozen builds.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad I found this thread, was thinking the same thing the other day,.  You don't have a lot of knobs to turn, to make any corrections....other than trying different bolts.

I feel if you stay with quality, reputable suppliers, you will have the greatest chance of being OK.

Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to think you did not need to worry about headspace on quality parts.  Until I purchased 3 new barrels off here.  None would chamber a round after they were built.  The Go guage would not chamber.  I check Headspace on ALL barrels now.  A good lesson for me.  I always thought machining was repeatable with  all computer equipment.  Good shooting
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
If you handload I don’t think it matters because you can resize your brass to have the exact headspace you desire.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocketvapor] [#11]
If you handload you can be more precise than just Go-NoGo.
Measuring the effect of bolt on headspace is pretty easy (face to back of lug).
I find about 0.001" variance between a several bolts.  
Weeds out the possibility of one that was machined wrong.

About 0.002" across a few barrels, determined from fired cases.

With reloading you have to start somewhere.  New brass or factory ammo will generally be a little short.  
Sounds like a go to me.
Once fired, sometimes twice fired and you have precision samples for each of your chambers.  
On the reloading bench you can check zero bump, 0.001" bump, 0.002", etc.
Compare to your factory round "Go".
Record for each chamber.
Pinking gets a little more than a precision round.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#12]
Both Krieger and CLE told me that the JP bolts are so consistent that they dont need the actual bolt to get propper headspace. They all measure under .001 difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top