Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 12:41:21 AM EDT
Seen this video the other day. Thought it was interesting.

Made me want to checkout some binos with Mil Reticle.

Range estimation using (M24) binoculars and a simple math formula.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
What are you wanting to do with mil reticle binos? Are you planning on calling impacts/misses for other shooters frequently? Range estimation?

IME there are better tools on the market for many of the tasks that mil binos were made to do.
View Quote

Range Estimation mainly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get a pair of LRF binos.
View Quote

I have a laser range finder and not really crazy about it.

The LRF Binos are pretty $.

In that video I posted they stated that not all Mil reticles are created equal. Are some brands known for being more accurate than others?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, just like rifle scopes, some reticles have a larger margin of error than others (brands). If you would stay with a name you are familiar with you should be okay.

I have a mil spotter that I rarely use because it was one purpose, adjusting fire for another shooter (calling their shots). I use binos for scanning and target acquisition for both hunting and matches, and I don't want a reticle when doing those tasks. I think you would be doing yourself a huge disservice using binos to mil a target to get a distance Estimation. Assuming you are using them off a stable platform (tripod, etc), and it's from an established company (low margin of error in the reticle), even a seasoned guy that practices mil'ong for range will have a larger margin of error over an untrained guy with the cheapest rangefinder.
View Quote

10-4 sounds good.

I have the Vortex Impact and while it works ok the non lit display sucks and its ranging abilities are greatly diminished in fog/mist/rain etc.  I found that out the hard way this season. I have had that unit for 4-5 years I think and keep it in my range box and works great for that.

I also have a pare of vortex 10X50mm Binos that I like alot. But hauling those around this deer season kinda was a chore. They took up way too much room in my pack. So I was in the market for smaller binos anyway. Seen the video I posted above and it seemed to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Sounds like I am better off buying a higher grade Range Finder device and then some nice small pocket binos.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Fuji m24 and they are fine. Small and handy, nothing particularly special other than the reticle. I got them off eBay, under no conditions would I pop for the $475 Apache ones new, but the L3 new ones seem like a decent price new $299 and there is a pair on eBay for $175.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ll have to pass on the laser binos for now.

Will do some more research and look out for some deals. About to buy some Gen3 NV. Was planing on making the NV purchase later this year but think I need to go ahead and act now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Think I will just end up going with a set of small binoculars and a mid level laser range finder.

This is more or less me upgrading for next hunting season so no real rush.

Been looking and watch some videos on small binos.

I like the way the Steiner 8x30 military/marine looks but never messed with any of there products. The vortex diamondback HD 8x28 or vanquish probably makes more sense.

Here in north GA glassing fields is a sub 500yard affair. More or less looking for better antler identification out to 200-250 yards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
In that video I posted they stated that not all Mil reticles are created equal. Are some brands known for being more accurate than others?
View Quote

All the m24 binoculars I’ve used have the reticle marked in tens of mils, ie. The 1 mark is 10 mils, 2 is 20, etc.  

More significantly, in the military mils are often rounded off to 6400mils in 360deg rather than 2(pi)*1000 in 360deg to make the divisions on artillery sights even, the numbers easy to remember, etc.  For a fire correction you can estimate mils by the width of your fingers held up at arms length - artillery calls are not pinpoint precision.  
Which mil you use depends on the branch of service and community.  

Who knows which mils are used in m24 binoculars.  I have a pair of Lockheed m24 binoculars, they are great since they were free but I wouldn’t pay for them.  Super durable, but I think similar money spent on a pair of hunting binoculars would get you better glass.  The m24 are bombproof though if that’s important to you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The M24 binoculars are 8x30 from Fujinon. I didn’t think the glass was all that great, compared to my Cheap compact Steiner 10x26. If you are looking for a ranging retical in a binocular look at the Steiner military line. Much better glass and a whole lot lighter too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top