Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2018 8:54:42 PM EDT
Hey all,

I unexpectedly won the listing on an M1A SOCOM after tossing in a few bids and coming back hours later. The M1 platform (Garand more so specifically) is something I've long desired to get into. How's the rifle run and what kind of reputation does it hold? How'd she come  about in the SOCOM world?!

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and like it, shoots well. I am not sure if true but heard it was designed after the m1 that (I think Shuggart used) in Mogadishu. I heard he had a special M1 that was cut down by the armorers. I have never had a jam or FTC with mine seems to shoot anything I put in it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I'm excited to get the thing although I just feel like there isn't a whole lot of popularity surrounding the SOCOM variant. People seem hit or miss on having one, it's capability, and so on. Had I not won the bid I would have grabbed a PTR 9C (mp5 clone). On the flip side I've always wanted this rifle and wouldn't mind a heavy hitter in the safe.

Anyone with pictures and reviews to add? How about decent mods?
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Had one of the very early ones, it's really heavy for it's dimensions, shot acceptably for a battle rifle but it's not a precision rifle, cheekweld with an optic is hard...and I miss it
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subiescott] [#4]
Yeah I've read about the cheekweld issues regarding optics up to and including lack of 1 to sub-moa accuracy on a SOCOM....yet people still miss it lol. I'm down with keeping her on irons. It just seems like this thing is a CQB sledgehammer. I'll at most tap some steel at 100-300yds.

Edit: And perhaps grab a cheep Vortex or Primary Arms 1x red dot for fun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hookoil:
I have one and like it, shoots well. I am not sure if true but heard it was designed after the m1 that (I think Shuggart used) in Mogadishu. I heard he had a special M1 that was cut down by the armorers. I have never had a jam or FTC with mine seems to shoot anything I put in it.
View Quote
That would be M14 not M1
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyony else have info?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
Anyony else have info?
View Quote
This is the precision rifles forum, might try the M1A forum for some better responses
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#8]
As above, the M1A subforum, and the actual external M1A forum, are both great sources of knowledge on the platform. I’m NOT an M1A guy, but I do have a pair. A SOCOM and National Match, both in Sage chassis. I think you’ll find they’re decently reliable and accurate firearms, if chunky. I don’t like the rock in mags, I hate mounting optics, but they’re good rifles. Don’t try and make it a precision rifle, or if you do, be prepared to chase gremlins and create a money pit in the process. Use the irons, or throw a red dot/scout scope on the existing SOCOM rail and rock on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update guys.

Admins could you please relocate this thread to the M1/M1A forum please?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought one a number of years ago, and like it's close range abilities.  The irons have a thick front post, and larger peep, which are more difficult to shoot precisely at longer range.  For my use, removed the front rail and put on regular handguard.  It is one of the older ones with cut down mil barrel.  Recrowning the barrel significantly improved accuracy, and the older twist rate worked well with 147 surplus. Put a viltor adj stock on it for the preferred pistol grip and adjustable (shorter) LOP.  The alterations moved the center of gravity rear ward significantly for my short arms.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ezekeial:
Bought one a number of years ago, and like it's close range abilities.  The irons have a thick front post, and larger peep, which are more difficult to shoot precisely at longer range.  For my use, removed the front rail and put on regular handguard.  It is one of the older ones with cut down mil barrel.  Recrowning the barrel significantly improved accuracy, and the older twist rate worked well with 147 surplus. Put a viltor adj stock on it for the preferred pistol grip and adjustable (shorter) LOP.  The alterations moved the center of gravity rear ward significantly for my short arms.
View Quote
Any way to modify or swap out the front sight post?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html

Never tried it, but if trying to increase accuracy without adding optic, would consider it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
For the front sight, try using one from the m79 grenade launcher.  Hard to find but they work pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top