Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2021 10:09:37 PM EDT
Hey everyone , as the title says I'm looking to get my first Bolt rifle...  My choices are

1. Howa Bravo Flag rifle 6.5 CM 24"
2. Howa American Flag 6.5 CM  24"

Both rifles are in stock at the local Dicks store , I'm leaning towards the American flag because it comes ready to go. I know the scope and bipod are
most likely junk but it fits my budget better. However i like the bravo better but that would be a few hundred more.

ill be using this for mostly 1-200 yards (That's all I'm able to do in my location) in the future i would love to stretch it out to 500-1k yards ..

any info if anyone has either of these would be greatly appreciated...  thanks ...
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#1]
I'm a savage guy but everything i have read says either of those will serve you well. Do it. And F!Dicks
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I lean toward function/accuracy, you can always swap out furniture later.  Question is will the extra couple of hundred bucks you save on the less expensive rifle help you achieve the function/accuracy of the more expensive rifle.  If so, it’s a wash......

But that’s just me.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I know you didn't ask about them but the Tikka CTR and TAC A1 are outstanding rifles. They may have a bit more aftermarket support than the Howa as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The American flag rifles don't take AICS mags. They use proprietary Howa mags. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the removable bottom metal in the flag chassis might be able to be replaced by a PTG unit.

I used a clone of the South African "Gun Warrior" chassis that a buddy in South Africa that makes custom chassis stocks cut for me, then added PTG bottom metal and Accurate Mag AICS pattern mag, a new barrel from Columbia River Arms custom chambered in 6XC with a Tubb spec reamer, a McGowan barrel nut and a Timney trigger and JP brake and now it's a shootable rifle.

As a matter of fact since you're looking at Howa, this rifle (which is my backup rifle for match work so it's only got a couple hundred rounds through it) is up for sale. With the US Optics SN3 3.8-22x44 and the Harris bipod it's $3000. Without the optic/rings/bipod $1500. When you look at the cost of a Flag gun...
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info i appreciate it, I'm going to wait until things hopefully calm down some. The  way things are now Im not able to even find ammo , so ill just ride out this storm . Crazy times we are living in , only one local shop had 6.5 in stock with a price of $85 per 20 FFFFFFFFFF that . I might just buy one of them as a shelf queen .... thanks again ....
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By redboy:
Thanks for all the info i appreciate it, I'm going to wait until things hopefully calm down some. The  way things are now Im not able to even find ammo , so ill just ride out this storm . Crazy times we are living in , only one local shop had 6.5 in stock with a price of $85 per 20 FFFFFFFFFF that . I might just buy one of them as a shelf queen .... thanks again ....
View Quote

Consider reloading.  Get a basic press, dies, balance scale and accessories.  Bolt guns are low volume, so reloading speed is not important.  Stock up on components.  Not only will you save money over time, but you can shoot when factory ammo is unavailable or $85 per 20, or more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top