Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2021 8:32:21 PM EDT
I have decided I need a .223 bolt gun in my life for practice, coyote hunting and general varminting.

My biggest wants are a faster twist than 1 in 9, heavy barrel, the ability to load longer than standard AR mag length, and a threaded muzzle.  20 MOA base would likely be a plus.

So far, Tikka T3x Tact A1 fits most of that list, but not sure how generous their mag length is.

I am only not too hot on building just because of the time, effort and waiting.  

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am open to about anything.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a CZ 527 that is an incredibly accurate rifle out of the box and it is a handsome gun as well, a great walking around rifle.  Draw backs are limited magazine capacity (5+1) and slow twist which does not stabilize bullets over 55 grain.  In spite of the two negatives, I would buy one again without reservation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindless:
I have a CZ 527 that is an incredibly accurate rifle out of the box and it is a handsome gun as well, a great walking around rifle.  Draw backs are limited magazine capacity (5+1) and slow twist which does not stabilize bullets over 55 grain.  In spite of the two negatives, I would buy one again without reservation.
View Quote

The newer 527s in .223 have a 1-9 twist.  I could go up to 75gr in mine.

As for the OP it's kind of tough to find all of that in a factory rifle.  Does Tikka make the T3X Tac A1 in .223?  I thought it was just 6.5 CM, 308 Win, and 260 Rem?

1-9 is super common in bolt guns, unfortunately.  You can get everything you want in the budget Ruger American Predator which has a 1-8 twist.

Savage has their 12 VLP with a 1-7 twist and it has everything you want except a threaded barrel, but a gunsmith can do that.  They discontinued the 1-7 twist model recently but you should still be able to find them here and there in the wild.  Their 12 FT/R single shot also has a 1-7 twist.  It also has their Target AccuTrigger which is one of the nastiest factory triggers available.  You can set it so low that running the bolt locks the mechanism up

Howa has their mini action .223 rifles with a heavy barrel and 1-8 twist as well.

CZ kind of screwed the pooch with their 527 MTR.  It's a 527 match rifle but for some reason they kept the 1-9 twist from all their other 527s instead of making it faster.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not consider a tikka CTR in .223 - 20" threaded 1:8 barrel.

Then use the extra $ to put it in a chassis like the MDT and use on of their polymer mags with room for 2.55 OAL?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MT_Mauser] [#4]
Some good ideas here.  I like Howa, but I hate their mini action magazines.

I never thought about the CTR, I will have to look into that.

I thought about Ruger, but it seems like they can be hit or miss in terms of quality.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#5]
Browning also makes their X-Bolt Max Varmint in .223 .  Has everything you want on it: 26" bull barrel, threaded muzzle, 1-8" twist.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/current-production/x-bolt-max-varmint-target.html

...they also have their Predator Hunter which has a shorter 22" heavy sporter barrel, but has the 1-8" twist still and a threaded muzzle.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/limited-availability/x-bolt-predator-hunter.html

I have an X-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag with the 1-8" twist and their magazines have a longer COAL than most other factory mags, so you shouldn't have an issue with bullet length in them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Howa mini and 1500s are also 1:8.  Ruger RPR was also 1:7 (I think), but now command a premium since they're discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Howa mini and 1500s are also 1:8.  Ruger RPR was also 1:7 (I think), but now command a premium since they're discontinued.
View Quote

I see that.  I am kicking myself for not deciding I need one about, 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
With so many awesome options for custom actions out there now, why dont you just build it exactly how you want?

I ended up with a Terminus action, Kreiger 8 twist barrel in an AX stock.
View Quote

All things considered, the amount of wait involved might not be that much more.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Tagged for info.

I really enjoy my Remington 700 Varmint, but the 1:12 keeps me on the lighter side of projectiles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I see Tikka having a CTR in 223 but when I look at my distributor I didn't see them listed for sale. I know there is a Tikka T3 Varmint in 223 with a 23+ inch long, 1/8 twist barrel. Its not threaded for some reason so you will have to take care of that on your own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased a Winchester M70 heavy barrel .223 (1/9 twist) in the early 1990's. 26" barrel. It has been a hammer shooting everything well from 52 grain match bullets to 75 grain Hornady hpbt's.

You might be able to find one on the used market.

Currently the Tikka stands out as everything you need and nothing that you don't. It also has a better twist rate for modern match grade bullets. Savage made a very limited number of .223's with 1/7 twist barrels, that option would allow for easy barrel swaps at home.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
MPA (Woody) will sell you a barreled Curtis action for around $1,400.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote for a Tikka 223.  I own a Tikka 223 Varmint and it shoots lights out.  Previous owner had the muzzle thread, this is probably my most accurate rifle
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#16]
my howa is amazingly accurate.... 1/2moa all day. Yes Its 1/9. who cares, it shoots 69gr BTHP to 900yds. its smooth, stock is great, looks great, and its got a japan hammer forged barrel on it. fwiw u can get 2.300" + rounds into the mag. i had a weak extractor spring, and i ended up opening the hole for the spring in the extractor for an m16 spring and since then, zero issues. trigger can also be adjusted and DAMN its good too

i did have mine threaded and contoured for an ops can. they DO make a threaded version, ready to go.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/lsi-howa-heavy-barrel-varminter-bolt-action-223-remington-threaded-20-heavy-barrel-51-rounds?a=1947812

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
@MT_Mauser did you decide on a rifle?

I went through this same process not long ago, ended up with a Tikka Varmint 1:8 twist in a KRG Bravo stock running AICS mags. Haven't done any load development yet but it loves 77gr SMKs
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:35:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MT_Mauser] [#18]
Originally Posted By Feuerhand:

I went through this same process not long ago, ended up with a Tikka Varmint 1:8 twist in a KRG Bravo stock running AICS mags. Haven't done any load development yet but it loves 77gr SMKs
View Quote

No. I have had a hard time locating a Tikka or anything I would want for sale.

To bide my time I bought a Ruger American predator to slum it and tinker with.  It actually shows some (key word there) potential.  But I think the biggest thing with them is the terrible stock and trigger.  I have a feeling it will max out on potential and what I will spend chasing it, and become a feed truck rifle.

I have a KRG bravo on a Howa 1500 6.5 CM, and love it.  Wish Howa and everyone else making .223 bolt guns would figure out an AICS solution and stick with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:43:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#19]
I would say go for a regular Howa 1500 in .223 if they still make it as they switched the 223 rifling twist to 1-8. I wanted the same thing as you and it annoys me to no end that barely anyone makes a 223 bolt gun without a 1-9 twist. I strongly dislike the mini Howa mags and mag release as well and is the sole reason why i never picked one up in 6.5 grendel, even though i really want one. Why they stopped the normal short action 223 i will never know.

Edit:

I got curious as i know there was another option. So i did some digging. I found what you are looking for if you are in the market still.

AXIS II PRECISION in .223

The Axis II Precision in .223 has a 1-7 twist. I am not a huge Savage fan so i dont know the differences between the Axis and the numbered guns, but it is an option.

They used to make a Heavy barrel version as well and that was what i was looking for, but they dont show it on the site anymore.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MT_Mauser:

To bide my time I bought a Ruger American predator to slum it and tinker with.  It actually shows some (key word there) potential.  But I think the biggest thing with them is the terrible stock and trigger.  I have a feeling it will max out on potential and what I will spend chasing it, and become a feed truck rifle.

I have a KRG bravo on a Howa 1500 6.5 CM, and love it.  Wish Howa and everyone else making .223 bolt guns would figure out an AICS solution and stick with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Feuerhand:

Feed truck rifles get most of the glory on the impossible shots and live the life Safe Queens only dream about.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Great thread.  For me, to leverage my existing investment in the R700 platform, I'm just going to rebarrel my .223 to either a 1:7 or 1:8 so I can utilize my AR long range ammo and chambering (5.56 vs. .223).  I just need to pick up the tools and order a barrel, but waiting for finances to improve.  Until then, I have some 69g match .223 to feed the factory 1/9 R700.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
so i traded my 20" 224 valk AR for this Mossberg MVP LR Thunder Ranch edition. laminate stock, pillar bedded. 5.56 chamber and a......1/7 fluted, threaded barrel.

i had to do some stoning and adjusting of the trigger and lube job, and i tqd the action screws to 30F 25R in/lbs. trigger is now great!

i loaded up some 75gr ELD-M (224V 1k pills) and they drop right in. i single fed them. the known good 75gr bthp load did great, and my buddies Vmax load did well too. really great budget rifle. im diggin it. AR mags is cool too. light enough to walk around with too.

Nikon Mtactical 3-12

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#23]
I love my .223’s. Inside of 700-800yds, they are my favorites. With the heavies, it’s effective out past 1k, but wind becomes more problematic, as well as spotting splash.

While I chambered my own, I’d go with a Tikka t3/t3x or get a bighorn origin or other custom action that can take a prefit. I’ve only shot 1 prefit, a Proof, and it has been a solid sub 3/4moa barrel with factory ammo (6creedmoor).

75 eld with a new powder and confirmation testing of my 69smk load.

75 eld load development

Factory ADI 69gr
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been playing around with this Ruger American Predator, and it has started really shooting well.  It loves Nosler 55 BT (my favorite dog town bullet) and has been respectable with my 75-77gr workings.  I will try to get some target pics up.

Went out and was checking some things and decided to work on our problem pigeon population.

Look Ma! I'm zeroed!

In all, it has scratched my itch, for now. A Timney is a must on these and the stock has to go for sure, but like I said I bet it ends up a truck rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#25]
I have been playing around with this Ruger American Predator, and it has started really shooting well.  It loves Nosler 55 BT (my favorite dog town bullet) and has been respectable with my 75-77gr workings.  I will try to get some target pics up.

https://i.imgur.com/lajJRvj.jpg

Went out and was checking some things and decided to work on our problem pigeon population.

https://i.imgur.com/z6IsqDz.jpg
Look Ma! I'm zeroed!

In all, it has scratched my itch, for now. A Timney is a must on these and the stock has to go for sure, but like I said I bet it ends up a truck rifle.
View Quote

I love my Oryx and my wife loves it more.

My RAP is in 6.5 Grendel but I think the .223 would actually feed better from the AICS mags.

Edit for a better picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top