Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2019 9:43:02 PM EDT
I need some recommendation for match ammo for use in my new to me 1995 Remington 700P which has 26" 1-12" twist barrel.  I normally wouldn't buy a .223 gun in 1-12" twist but this rifle was like new and offered at price I couldn't refuse.  I shoot out to maximum distance at my 300 yard range which is 350 yards when I set the target at the berm and I shoot from behind the shooting line.  I had 2 boxes of Hornady 55gr V Max on hand and in my informal accuracy shooting they were accurate...once sighted in I was able to hit 8" steel plate 12 out of 12 times and 6" steel plate 11 out of 12 times from 350 yards.  I'm looking for something that is accurate and readily available and terminal  performance is important as it will just be to shoot paper and steel plates.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
52gr smk over 25.5gr of varget is half moa for me in my 1x12 twist howa. My 1x9 howa definently prefers 68gr hornady otm over 25gr of varget.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#4]
Another sub MOA (sub 1/2 MOA if you and rifle are up to it) is the Berger 52 grain Flat Base Match bullet in Lapua Match cases and Federal GM205MAR primers.  Best load for me is 26.0 grains of H4895.  

That is max or near max load, so work up to it.  No signs of pressure in my rifle.  Barrel is a Lilja 16" Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist, so a 1:12 should be great with those short bullets.

The same load in bench-prepped LC brass is almost as accurate.

Note.  This load was developed in an AR15 type semi-auto, but for maximum accuracy rounds are hand fed into the chamber to avoid bullet contact with the feed ramps, and because I tend toward OCD in such things!  The MAR suffix on the primers is to designate harder primer cups for semi-auto bolts.  For a bolt gun, use GM205M.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
This...

The buy one get one is a heck of a deal... and this stuff has been quite accurate for many people.

For that matter, if you have a .308, the 165gr SGK Aust. Outback has been also quite precise. Same BOGO deal.
View Quote
I should have bought more back while they were available
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top