Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2022 11:41:25 AM EDT
I don’t shoot competition. I just enjoy the math and science behind precision shooting and I hunt elk and deer. I have a lot of .308 and all my reloading is for .308.

I need a rifle with an 18” barrel or shorter because it will be suppressed. So far I am looking at the following rifles

Bergara ridge SP
Savage Magpul Hunter
Ruger American Predator that I will have to toss in a Boyd or Magpul stock
Remington SPS 16.5

Are there other options in similar to price and configuration?
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the Ruger but sold it (never shot it) and bought the Savage. It's nice and hefty, plus I like the Cerakote. I haven't shot it yet, I need to pickup some rings for my Razor 3-15.

I guess this post is actually pretty worthless since I haven't shot either of the two choices. Feel wise though, I prefer the Savage. The bolt is also smoother on the Savage.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Tikka CTR is nice. A little long but ready for a can.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a better trigger from the factory than a Savage Acu-trigger, I dare ya".
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Tikka CTR is nice. A little long but ready for a can.
View Quote

I was going to get the Bergara HMR, but ran into that issue
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mousegun:
Find a better trigger from the factory than a Savage Acu-trigger, I dare ya".
View Quote

I am not a Savage fan at all. I have not had any positive experiences with Savage, but I will go that route if need be because I am an idiot
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s silly to rule out a good gun because of barrel length. Getting a barrel chopped and threaded is a simple thing. You want a heavy barrel you could start with just about any Varmint Tikka/Bergara/Remington whatever and have it cut to the length you want.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
It’s silly to rule out a good gun because of barrel length. Getting a barrel chopped and threaded is a simple thing. You want a heavy barrel you could start with just about any Varmint Tikka/Bergara/Remington whatever and have it cut to the length you want.
View Quote

I was thinking about this as well. Not as cheap as having an AR barrel cut and crowned
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
They’re not made anymore but a Barrett Fieldcraft would be the ticket. 18” barrel and very accurate. Mine is. 7lbs scoped and loaded with a suppressor attached
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:
They’re not made anymore but a Barrett Fieldcraft would be the ticket. 18” barrel and very accurate. Mine is. 7lbs scoped and loaded with a suppressor attached
View Quote

I am looking at the Begara Ridge wilderness SP. 18” barrel and 7 pounds. The stock is very decent, but can upgrade at some point. Or I will get HMR and have barrel cut down to 16.5
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
try a

SAVAGE IMPULSE PREDATOR

in 308

straight pull bolt
factory threaded barrel
10 round AICS mags

medium heavy barrel

mine is pretty good out to 950 with my handloads

ive used YHM turbo K and DeadAir Nomad LT

both threaded up good and zero didn't change between no suppressor or switching back and fourth
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsome-] [#11]
Attachment Attached File

Been very happy with my Rem 7 in 308.  Very accurate for a hunting rifle with my reloads.  

Lightweight and handy for mountain hunting when I go to Montana every year

ETA - probably unobtainable these days though - not sure if still in production with the remington fuckery
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17185/Rem_7_jpg-2407922.JPG

Been very happy with my Rem 7 in 308.  Very accurate for a hunting rifle with my reloads.  

Lightweight and handy for mountain hunting when I go to Montana every year

ETA - probably unobtainable these days though - not sure if still in production with the remington fuckery
View Quote

That is exactly what I am going for
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#13]
What about the sig cross?

Sig Sauer markets the Cross on their website by calling it a rifle for “precision long-range shooting and extreme backcountry hunting.”

I dont know much about them besides they look cool. Hear some people love them and some dont.

I am deep in savages because they are easy to get to shoot and work on. I'm also a year into building a custom 700 hunting rifle. Spending so much time behind the 700 I'm becoming accustomed to the smoother bolt operation  and find the clunkiness of the savage distracting now.  The rugers are a good rifle as well.  I guess they all have their positives and negatives.

A hunting/target rifle is a contradiction.  Either you're dragging a heavy rifle up a mountain or you're trying to shoot a lightweight heavy recoiling rifle at the range while dealing with barrel heat.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up getting the Bergara B14 ridge wilderness SP with 18” threaded barrel. It has a heavier barrel than most standard hunting rifles and will work with all Remington 700 stocks. I was going to get the HMR and cut barrel down, but I am feeling lazy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top