Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2022 2:04:14 PM EDT
I was looking for a bolt action I could afford and these rifles with a 24" heavy barrel seemed to fall into my price range. I am no familiar with any of them and hoping for helpful input. I'm disabled and can't hunt so these are strictly target rifles but I will say the Howa Oryx looks very interesting. Any helpful input would be appreciated. Also, are 5 round mags available for all these rifle and I would like to add a brake but don't know what would be good for these rifles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go for the Tikka T3 CTR first. Then the Howa second and the Savage last.

The Tikka out of the box will outshoot the other two and has good aftermarket support like Savage does. Howa is getting better in aftermarket support, but not like the other two.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Howa in .308 that I put in an Oryx chassis. It is a great combo and I regret selling it. Howa makes a fantastic rifle. The oryx chassis used AICS magazines which are plentiful. There are tons of good brakes available just search on Brownells and you see a bunch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a Tikka CTR 20" 6.5CM in a Manners T6A stock and am quite pleased.  If you're shooting off a bench, you probably could live with the OEM stock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jibles:
I had a Howa in .308 that I put in an Oryx chassis. It is a great combo and I regret selling it. Howa makes a fantastic rifle. The oryx chassis used AICS magazines which are plentiful. There are tons of good brakes available just search on Brownells and you see a bunch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245637/IMG_20190425_095833_jpg-2376629.JPG
View Quote

The Savage also takes AIC magazines which in my opinion is a huge plus.  The Tika is a proprietary and expensive magazine, which in my opinion is it’s only minus.  Tika is an awesome rifle, but I would go with the Savage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tikka CTR and it’s bad ass.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Just checked the replies today and went to look at that Tikka again and the darn price just went past my cutoff point. I can't buy right now and hope when the time comes I can afford one. thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top