Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2018 6:39:03 PM EDT
I recently picked up a new spotting scope.  I will, of course, need a tripod for it.  I'll mostly do my own spotting from prone.  I may do some spotting for others from a seated position.  This won't be for hunting, or for mounting a rifle.  It doesn't need to be super-lightweight, as such.  I just want something stable for long-range spotting.

The scope is the angled, 85mm Vortex Razor HD.

As far as price, I'd like to keep it under 400.

Let me know what suggestions you might have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to ebay, in search put in gitzo studex tripod

The first listing that comes up includes leg warmers and an additional head handles.

I'm still using an identical tripod which I bought 30 years ago.  I was mounting 2-1/4 and 4x5 camera's on top, the tripod cost me $400 that long ago.

imho a used gitzo is better quality than 90% of what's offered new these days
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two nice vortex tripods, but this one has become my new favorite..it is super stable, will hold a pile of weight, is light and strong, and will configure into any number of different configurations..plus the price is hard to beat at 129 bucks..

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1C8VGI?tag=viglink1659178-ar15-20
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Manfrotto 055XPRO3 with the same spotting scope. You can find them anywhere from $190-$230 typically. The ballhead will cost you another $150 or so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I have two nice vortex tripods, but this one has become my new favorite..it is super stable, will hold a pile of weight, is light and strong, and will configure into any number of different configurations..plus the price is hard to beat at 129 bucks..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1774-657330.JPG

View Quote
very nice!

how did you configure the attachment point to attach the gun?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Leofoto 364C is what you seek.

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By shotdown:
I use a Manfrotto 055XPRO3 with the same spotting scope. You can find them anywhere from $190-$230 typically. The ballhead will cost you another $150 or so.
View Quote
Any particular suggestion on an appropriate head?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By webman:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I use this same tripod with the following head:

Manfrotto Mhxpro-bhq2 XPRO Ball Head With 200pl Quick-release Plate

Ball head was $99 on the famous auction site.

Sweet setup for spotting scope & hog saddle use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Patriot Valley just came out with their own.  With their ball head accessory, you're at 630.00 OTD.  You aren't going to beat that for a quality, carbon fiber setup.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Kinda been there done that with tripods.
Ended up with RRS because it really is the best. If you’re budget is $400 then I would say LeoFoto or a used Feisol. IMO leveling base is best followed by a ball head. I would stay away from center columns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsome-] [#11]
Kinda been there done that myself a time or two or three....

Based on my hunting needs, I use this for a more semi-permanent shooting position for yote hunting around the backside of my property.

Attachment Attached File

Shooting Bench

If I need something lightweight for moving about in the woods I use one of these

Attachment Attached File

Tripod

The thing I dont like about tripods is it reduces your ability to rotate more than 180 degrees quietly as that one leg always seems to get in my way.

The portable shooting bench swivels easily 180 degrees while sitting down on it for more area coverage.

Those dang yotes always seem to come out of the woods where you least expect them.

ETA - sorry OP, I now realized you are looking for a tripod for a spotting scope, not for a rifle.

oh well....
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TurbineBoiler:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineBoiler:

That’s the ball head I have too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
Kinda been there done that myself a time or two or three....

Based on my hunting needs, I use this for a more semi-permanent shooting position for yote hunting around the backside of my property.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17185/Shooting_Bench-665263.JPG

Shooting Bench

If I need something lightweight for moving about in the woods I use one of these

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17185/Shooting_Tripod-665264.JPG

Tripod

The thing I dont like about tripods is it reduces your ability to rotate more than 180 degrees quietly as that one leg always seems to get in my way.

The portable shooting bench swivels easily 180 degrees while sitting down on it for more area coverage.

Those dang yotes always seem to come out of the woods where you least expect them.

ETA - sorry OP, I now realized you are looking for a tripod for a spotting scope, not for a rifle.

oh well....
View Quote
No problem.  Something to file in the back of my head for whenever I finally get some property to shoot on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:

very nice!

how did you configure the attachment point to attach the gun?
View Quote
MPA chassis's all ready come cut with the Area-Swiss dovetail...just slide it in and tighten the clamp....One of my buddy's is talking about just screwing an Area-Swiss plate to his synthetic stock but hasn't yet...Arca-Swiss stuff is cheap since it is standard fare for cameras.......
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
For prone work you want this -

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/1363/spotting-scope-stands-and-accessories
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out the leofoto LS324

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789H3J9D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wQfNBbZWQTSVM" target="_blank">https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789H3J9D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wQfNBbZWQTSVM
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been very happy with my Freeland.  At Camp Perry they are everywhere.  I have two extensions so I can use it standing.

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=837&virtuemart_category_id=119&Itemid=111

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Hmmm.  A somewhat local choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1774-657330.JPG

View Quote
I have used this one for years.

But the one AKSnowRider posted looks pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot of the "new" tripods are just custom labeled stuff from China. Found this company that has several with the "pro" series being about half.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/XILETU-L404C-Professional-Carbon-Fiber-Camera_60705352002.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.13.16422bdcIT0kRh
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jmarkma:
A lot of the "new" tripods are just custom labeled stuff from China. Found this company that has several with the "pro" series being about half.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/XILETU-L404C-Professional-Carbon-Fiber-Camera_60705352002.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.13.16422bdcIT0kRh
View Quote
so, who has used this tripod?  any feedback?  I was referred to this tripod as well from another site.   only differ I see is that this one is wrapped in CF layers 8x, while the Leofoto L404C is wrapped 10x.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The $50-$100 tripods that bh and amazon will impress the shit out of you. They are as light as a $500 tripod from 10 years ago. There are some $20 ball heads that have great reviews on amazon. This is one that I use.

People will always steer you to the $500 option but there’s no evidence that it’ll make any difference.

You primarily pay for capacity and weight reduction over $100 in tripods. Neither are a issue for you.

Pergear TH3 Pro DSLR Camera Tripod Ball Head, 8KG/17.6lbs Loading Capacity, 360 Degree Swivel, Metal Build Quality, Fine Tuning Damping, U-Shaped Groove Design for Easy Switching Into Vertical Mode https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGJH5U6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eZshDbVX9X41Q
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I can’t justify the money for the RRS TFC34 that I want, but I can justify the money for the Anvil 30 head. I’m rocking the Leofoto LN 364c tripod with BH40 head until my Anvil head comes in. Then swapping the Anvil on, and selling the BH40. IMO Leofoto and Feisol are excellent tripods for the money. I’ve put countless hours behind them, as well as RRS. RRS is hands down the best, but I’m not quite sure they’re worth the premium they ask. I will say that ignorance is bliss when it comes to tripods. You’ll never know what you’re missing until you try something nicer. Then you’ll never look at your cheaper options the same way. If you don’t want to spend serious money on one, then don’t try one. You’ll be perfectly content with what you have in that case.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought this Neewer after AKSnowrider recommended it.
Amazon Product
  • With the use of a tripod, it can achieve greater performance and maintain image quality for cropping larger picture sizes
  • 2-in-1 tripod, removed one leg can be used as monopod and converted into alpenstock
  • Extends to 63"/160cm tall,folds to 17.7"/45cm.Four sections Carbon Fibre adjustable-height leg tubes

So far, I've been very happy with it.  I bought MDT Arca Swiss MLok mounts for a couple of my rifles to make rifle mounting easy.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#26]
So did I.

I've only used it for my spotter so far, but it's been rock solid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mi650:

So did I.

View Quote
Glad they are doing good for you guys..I thought it was a heck of a tripod for the price which is why I shared it..mine has been flawless as well...
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad they are doing good for you guys..I thought it was a heck of a tripod for the price which is why I shared it..mine has been flawless as well...
View All Quotes

So did I.

FTR, you ARE NOT going to talk me into a 300 RUM.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Samsies. I love it, too. Even my wife loves it for photography.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
If you shot one, you would want one...
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Maybe.  But my average shot on a deer is 50 yards.

Sometimes, I wonder if I could get by with a Red Rider.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Maybe.  But my average shot on a deer is 50 yards.

Sometimes, I wonder if I could get by with a Red Rider.  
View Quote
You just need a sling shot..turn them guns in to someone in need...
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice looking setups.  I think I'll grab one, myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top