Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
50yds

The SK std. + has averaged .508moa over the last 6 groups. I’ll try to run a 5x5 and 6x5 in the next few days. It appears to be the best value for inside of 100yds for this barrel. I’ll test it out to 300yds to see if it gives anything up to Center X, and also get some velocity data.

100yds
The wind was blowing North to south so I didn’t bother calculating the groups for the Match and Center X that I purposely fired during some gusts. I was curious to see what the dispersion would be, and it was noticeable.

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to go run a 6x5 at 100 today, but got screwed by work.  Hopefully I’ll get some time tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#3]
6x5 at 50 today
SK Std. +

The parallax was adjusted on groups 5 and 6, as I was not getting the results anticipated.

Let my girlfriend try out the B14r today as well. She shot the bottom group of Sk Std. +. Then I shot two groups of the SK Match from ammo that had sat on the bench in the sun on a diamond target since I didn’t want the results to ruin her target. I was amazed at the results. The SK Match has never performed stellar in this rifle. As a control, I had my girlfriend to shoot a group with the SK match from the same lot that was not exposed to direct sun (bottom row, left side). The group was similar to what I had witnessed before. We placed that box of ammo in the sun for 15mins. and then shot 4 additional groups of the “hot” ammo. Just like with the first two groups I shot of the “Hot” SK Match, the groups improved to somewhat respectable groups over what the ambient SK Match had yielded.

SK Match

It may be worth trying the “hot” SK Match in a 6x5, as the hot rounds didn’t demonstrate wild fliers over the 6 groups.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#4]
I went to shoot a 6x5 using a tripod for the first time yesterday.
I didn’t even take a photo it was a disaster.  Hopefully I’ll have time this week from a bench.  I have some serious practice to get in for the tripod
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am thinking of buying a barreled action and putting into a chassis.

What are your thoughts on the steel vs carbon fiber barrels?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
I am thinking of buying a barreled action and putting into a chassis.

What are your thoughts on the steel vs carbon fiber barrels?
View Quote

I know I’ve been posting about my Vudoo but I did have a B14r.   I have no opinion on accuracy on CF vs stee, but heavy = stable for a rifle of this design.  If you look at any of the PRS competition rifles they all are steel.      If I were trying to save weight I would be leaning towards a Tikka sporting type configuration.  There may be other reasons you like the B14r, but that’s my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup. The added weight is why I went with steel over CF. Now, after having bought the rifle and looking into the B14r more, there have been some issues with the CF not bonding to the barrels properly. I think it’s rare for it to happen, but it has been noted on a few occasions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Testing of a new lot of SK Std. +

I also adjusted how much input I placed on the stock to see if it made a difference, and I do believe it did. The three better groups with SK were with a light input to the stock. When really laying into the stock, the groups suffered.

The results from 50 transferred well out to 100yds.

Hope to do a few 6x5’s next week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
6x5 at 50yds

Switched lots for the last group and thought I’d dialed up enough, and it almost came back to bite me. That lot shoots decent, but has more fliers than the new stuff.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
6x5 at 50yds

Switched lots for the last group and thought I’d dialed up enough, and it almost came back to bite me. That lot shoots decent, but has more fliers than the new stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/veUKMq5.jpg
View Quote

Good shooting.
I’ve still not had time to shoot a 6x5 since I’ve been in this thread.  Weather will be nice this week hopefully I’ll get so free time.
That B14r with that SK really is shooting great.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mc556:

Good shooting.
I’ve still not had time to shoot a 6x5 since I’ve been in this thread.  Weather will be nice this week hopefully I’ll get so free time.
That B14r with that SK really is shooting great.
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve got a few bricks of SK Flatnose match and a couple boxes of Eley Tenex, Edge, Team and Match inbound to try. It’s really hard to beat the SK standard in this barrel, but I’m hoping that one of the other options may tighten up groups from 100-300yds.

Rimfire is addictive. I’m considering selling one of my 260’s just so I can grab a few more .22’s!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I shot these yesterday at 100yds to confirm functioning after dropping my B14r into one of my T4A’s.

No seasoning of the barrel between groups as I was more interested in functioning. The second group of Eley TenEx had a feed issue and when I rechambered and shot the round it impacted low in the group. The next group (#3 from L-R) was Eley Team. All rounds functioned smooth and it grouped well. The wind picked up by group 4, but I started getting some feeding issues. I did have to scrap 3rds as the lead of the bullet was engraved severely from not chambering smoothly. I’m not sure if there was lead deposits that affected the rest of the Eley Team or if it was wind/ammo, but I shot the Sk Std + next and outside of the first round going high right, it performed decent.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Feeding wasn’t smooth when placed in my Manners T4A, which was bedded for a different rifle, so I placed it back into the factory stock to test out the SK Flatnose Match. The groups weren’t the best that the rifle has shot, but it was fairly consistent.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Yup. The added weight is why I went with steel over CF. Now, after having bought the rifle and looking into the B14r more, there have been some issues with the CF not bonding to the barrels properly. I think it’s rare for it to happen, but it has been noted on a few occasions.
View Quote

So, is the consensus that the CF is not an "upgrade" except if you were trying to have the lightest possible rifle?  I personally love Carbon Fiber, but if paying more for it would actually reduce the performance of the rifle...
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Can anyone give me a good comparison between the Vudoo and the Bergara.  I am super happy with my Vudoo but have not been able to play with a Bergara.  

Wondering if I should sell a CZ and get a Bergara.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve seen them compared as sports car m3, vette, 911 to the vudoo being a super car. I ditched my cz455 for a steel b14r and have no regrets. I much prefer the 700 action and trigger choices to the cz.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the Vudoo will have a smoother action and will be able to shoot slightly smaller groups out of the gate. For the money, the B14r does pretty good and isn’t super picky on ammo. Averaged .359” over a 6x5 earlier today with new lots of SK std + and SK match. Not sure how that compares with your CZ’s and whether they have any feeding issues. A few buddies had 452/455’s and sold them for Vudoos or B14r’s due to mags and feeding.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Can anyone give me a good comparison between the Vudoo and the Bergara.  I am super happy with my Vudoo but have not been able to play with a Bergara.  

View Quote

I have owned both
The Vudoo is way smoother as far as the action is concerned.   The #1 thing with the Vudoo is it stays consistent with different lots of ammo and is more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My carbon trainer just landed at LGS!
Going to test the Bushnell 6 to 24 Engage on it.
Who has target ammo in stock?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I almost sold my B14r to get a Vudoo, because I like shooting tiny groups, but I’m not sure it’ll gain me too much in PRS/NRL aside from maybe the KYL racks. I still may grab a Vudoo, but it’s getting harder to sell the B14r.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#21]
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these, the steel barrel version.

I also ordered an Anthlon Midas Tac to mount to the top and I have a Dead Air mask to make it quiet.

It was difficult for me to make up my mind between this .22 and the 6.5 PRC counterpart, but the loading component situation made my mind up for me, namely, no new 6.5 PRC brass anywhere.

What is the recommended ring height for these rifles?  I bought a 20 MOA scope base and short height rings, but I might need to use medium height, I am not sure as I don't have the scope or the rifle yet.  (ridiculous 6-7 day waits on the "instant" background checks here in Colorado right now).

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the B14R & I've mounted a Vortex PST-2 with a 50MM bell using Vortex low rings & it fits perfect.  Hope you enjoy your new rig as much as I have!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]

I have owned both
The Vudoo is way smoother as far as the action is concerned.   The #1 thing with the Vudoo is it stays consistent with different lots of ammo and is more accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigman68:

I have owned both

Thank you for responding.

I finally was able to try out a Bergara this week and agree.  It is a step above the CZ but still not a Vudoo. We were hitting reduced silhouette targets at 300 with Automatch which was fun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Had no intentions of buying one today but the LGS had a lefty carbon model that followed me home for a decent price.
Now with my questions.
I have a Steiner 3-15x50 that needs a home.
What scope base?
Thinking a 30moa base and rings I can figure out.
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I went with Anarchy Outdoors 30moa base and low Arken Halo rings
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up a B14R today, a 0 MOA scope base is coming tomorrow.  I am taking a scope off one of my PCP air rifles to get it shooting.  Anyone have any suggestions for scopes?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I got to get it out shooting a little today between the rain showers at 25 yards.  Wow what a nice rifle!  I have a Athlon Optics Argos BTR GEN2 6-24X50 First Focal Plane scope and rings ordered and will replace the UTG I stole off of one of my PCP air rifles.

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#28]
And now it wears it's new Athlon Optics Argos BTR GEN2 6-24X50 First Focal Plane scope.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I am finally getting around to maybe getting the B14 HMR-R.  I have the .308 HMR and mine has been a great performer and stellar shooter.  I took it out a few weeks ago and thought how much fun a full size rimfire version of it would be.

How's everyone doing with their B14 rimfires????
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 8:46:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FighterFixer1] [#30]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
I am finally getting around to maybe getting the B14 HMR-R.  I have the .308 HMR and mine has been a great performer and stellar shooter.  I took it out a few weeks ago and thought how much fun a full size rimfire version of it would be.

How's everyone doing with their B14 rimfires????
View Quote

I'm pretty damn happy with mine

Bergara is one of the only manufacturers that offer a lefty version (I still haven't seen a Tikka lefty in the wild) and the Rem 700 footprint makes it easy to customize.

My B14R (L) shot great in the factory stock--I swapped in a Timney 'The Hit' trigger that's set at roughly 1 pound.  I added a cheap bipod from Walmart, Vortex Diamondback Tac 4-14 and an Ebay stock pack.  I hated the dalmation stock, so I rattle canned it.

Attachment Attached File

It seems to like SK Standard + better than anything else.  I get similar results from a few older lots of Norma TAC22, but there's always a flier or 7 in every box.
Attachment Attached File

After about 2 years, I decided that I wanted it to handle more like my centerfire precision rifle, so I snagged a used AICS 2.0 chassis and an Atlas bipod.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

A basic 10/22 still has it's place as a critter-gitter when there's a raccoon or possum in the chicken coop, but when I want to centerpunch something small or the goal is to show off a little, the B14R is my go-to.  There's nothing more relaxing than sitting out in the back yard and shooting suppressed at empty .22LR cases off the top of the target stand on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  

If you ever get the chance to pick up a Know Your Limits rimfire target, it's always a hit when the grandkids come over--and with the B14R, it's easy to humble a cocky son-in-law on the 1/4" swinger
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#31]
@FighterFixer1:  Thank you!  I heard mostly very good things about the HMR.  Glad to know!
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, my son is a lefty, and these are available in lefty.

It's like a sign from God.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
Well, my son is a lefty, and these are available in lefty.

It's like a sign from God.  

View Quote
I have a new carbon lefty I'd sell. Bought it with good intentions last year and it's still in the box.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I already think it's a little light up front with the steel barrel, so I'm not really interested in the carbon version.

Thanks for the offer though!!!!

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:19:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Any magazine issues with this rifle?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Mine has been flawless with multiple factory magazines, even after upgrading to an MDT XRS chassis. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Any magazine issues with this rifle?
View Quote

Zero magazine issues with my carbon and steel B-14R's.  These were in MDT LSS-XL's and I've moved back to the HMR stocks, feeding with all of my factory magazines has been flawless.

Carbon:

Steel:

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
I only said I dont understand because that train of thought has never made sense to me.

Same thing when people say "I am not good enough to try competitions."

If a Vudoo is too expensive, I get that.

But what I dont get is "I will buy a cheaper rifle while I learn."

While you are learning is absolutely the time to get the best gear you can possibly afford.

That shot that went wide left...  Did you miss a wind change, was your natural point of aim off, was it ammo, time for a new barrel, ect.  At least with a rock solid rifle and good ammo you will know that when the bullet doesent end up where you wanted it to, it was you that screwed it up.  I hate second guessing my gear.
View Quote
You realize that 98% of the population will buy a $300 .22 rifle and put a $100 scope on it and that will be good enough for them, right?

Literally no one jumps into a new hobby by buying one of the most expensive options on the market, at the very top of the list for law of diminishing returns, to try out and get their feet wet. Just because you have money to blow doesn't mean that the utterly vast majority of other shooters do or will. Especially not on something like a $2500 .22 so that they can shoot 1/2" smaller groups than a $500 CZ.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#40]
It is not the cost of the rifle that matters, it is its accuracy and reliability that matters - its quality.  

You do not want to learn the lessons taught by a "cheap" rifle.  Do not waste your time learning the lessons of an inaccurate rifle trying to make it shoot properly - it never will.

An accurate rifle teaches you what you need to know.  It is clear and concise in its instruction - you will learn on your first outing how well you can shoot.

It is unambiguous.  If that shot went off-call, either it was YOU or the wind.  Which was it?

Notice, also, with an accurate rifle, you will learn how to read the wind and you will learn to call your shots.  These are things you cannot do, or will struggle to do, with an inaccurate rifle.  You will never be able to separate the inaccuracy of the rifle from the effects of the wind.

Buy an accurate, reliable rifle right out of the gate.  Do not waste your time and money on anything less.

The above are lessons I learned the hard way.  Ignoring them will be your loss.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:38:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#41]
Yeah, my buddy has a .22 trainer that costs more than my real gun.

If they make these in left hand, I’ll probably get one.

ETA: I guess I need one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, the B14r with an Athlon Helos 2-12 on top shooting Standard Velocity is making us smile.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Did a scope swap, and the B14r now has an Athlon Ares 3-18 UHD mil scope.  The glass is a huge step up from the Helos gen2 glass.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top