Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2015 8:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoser]
In the mountains of Northern NM a few of us have set up a long range match that allows us with the big boomers to play.

NRA Whittington Center is the home for this match and the monthly short/medium range hike and shoot Sporting Rifle Match.

The close target is almost 900 yards and the far target is 2023 yards.  C Ward absolutely center punched it on his first string.  It was really cool to watch.  Bullet time of flight, 3.066 seconds and still retaining over 1,300 ft lbs of energy at impact.

I was never able to hit the close target or the far target.  I blame society and the prick that reloads my ammo.  All the other targets, I was able to connect with.

Mostly 338s on the line.  stevenc23 shot his 6.5 Creed using factory ammo and did really well.  One 300 Win Mag gas gun showed up, but it took a dump and he was not able to finish.

Dino also connected on the 2023 target for the tie and then kicked my ass in the shoot-off.  He put a first round hit on a stop sign sized target at 1606 yards.  Very very cool.

We had two groups.  One quiet group and one noisy group.

The first picture shows the targets in the meadow going into the tree line.  There are eleven targets total.  Ten main match targets and a single bonus target.  The bonus target to the left of the main targets (find target 7 & 8, spilt the diff and go right) is a 1 MOA target at one mile.  Nobody hit it...  

The third pic shows the firing line.  One group shot while the other spotted.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Some day I'm going to make it to a match over there, i'm only a few hours away.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoser] [#2]
It appears that the current management at the NRA Whittington Center is very much anti-competitive shooting.

The center makes a lot more money off guided hunts on the land $$$ is all that matters.

So this match and several others have been shut down by the Fudds running the show.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Love that part of the world. Two treks at Philmont.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems as though enough people complained about the current management and their decisions to the NRA and the matches are back.

Thanks to everyone that called, wrote, emailed ect to make this happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top