Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2019 10:52:01 PM EDT
I'm really new to precision center-fire rifles...like 20 rounds total...

Do y'all keep any sort of log book to track rounds fired, cleaning schedule, etc., for your rifles?

If so, would you mind sharing examples?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a modular impact data books log book..works great...

I keep it in a triad tactical log book holder..
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still old school mine is a mead note book but the new ones are really nice. I also keep a load data book with the targets hole punched in it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I'm still old school mine is a mead note book but the new ones are really nice. I also keep a load data book with the targets hole punched in it.
View Quote
That sounds more like my budget...can you share an example of what goes in the mead notebook?
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Iram:

That sounds more like my budget...can you share an example of what goes in the mead notebook?
View Quote
First is my weather data for the day with notes for mirage and or scope glare from the sun angle. Then my shot strings with calls as to if I felt like I pulled or punched a shot. With references to to my three ring binder I keep my targets and load data. Sometimes I include position and shot directions if they are longer than I normally shoot. With steel I try to enter target size and angle of the target to keep an idea of hold off or over for future correction. Sometimes I also included the time between strings. I write notes on my paper targets as well. It seems like taking repeated notes helps me combat my dyslexia especially with hold offs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone make a digital logbook?
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By skebe:
Does anyone make a digital logbook?
View Quote
Not that I have seen. I keep my shot count in the notes on my phone as well as weather and date. I have a paper book, but have never utilized it to its fullest. I need to rectify that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep notes in my phone with the round count and what cleaning if any was done.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I keep notes in my phone with the round count and what cleaning if any was done.
View Quote
While there’s no harm in it, that’s more of a maintenance record. Certainly a good thing to keep track of since everything has a finite amount of use before it needs to be replaced.

However...

In the traditional sense of a log book, you’re missing a lot of information that could be useful and develop more usable DOPE.  Your first round impact success rate will be much better if you take accurate notes with respect to the shooter, the gun, the flight path, and the target. The better notes you keep, the more you’ll have for reference. Even if you don’t think you’ll ever use the data, keep it, because the day you need it you’ll be glad it’s there.

I’ve seen a lot of guys in classes and shoots that have a data book they write stuff in because...that’s what they think they’re supposed to do. Your ability to record data will teach you the most important aspects of precision shooting. If you know what to track, you’ll know what to apply.

Personally, I feel that far too many long range and precision classes are just expensive outings to shove you out on the range, the instructors will make corrections and get trainees on target and they leave feeling like they can do that any time. It’s a pay-for-the-experience model rather than training proficiency. I believe a lot of shooters would be better served with a no-shoot classroom portion that teaches these things.

None of that is directed at the guy I’m quoting by the way, I just used his comment to segue, because the confusion between data book and maintenance log is really common.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 31JHAP72:
While there’s no harm in it, that’s more of a maintenance record. Certainly a good thing to keep track of since everything has a finite amount of use before it needs to be replaced.

However...

In the traditional sense of a log book, you’re missing a lot of information that could be useful and develop more usable DOPE.  Your first round impact success rate will be much better if you take accurate notes with respect to the shooter, the gun, the flight path, and the target. The better notes you keep, the more you’ll have for reference. Even if you don’t think you’ll ever use the data, keep it, because the day you need it you’ll be glad it’s there.

I’ve seen a lot of guys in classes and shoots that have a data book they write stuff in because...that’s what they think they’re supposed to do. Your ability to record data will teach you the most important aspects of precision shooting. If you know what to track, you’ll know what to apply.

Personally, I feel that far too many long range and precision classes are just expensive outings to shove you out on the range, the instructors will make corrections and get trainees on target and they leave feeling like they can do that any time. It’s a pay-for-the-experience model rather than training proficiency. I believe a lot of shooters would be better served with a no-shoot classroom portion that teaches these things.

None of that is directed at the guy I’m quoting by the way, I just used his comment to segue, because the confusion between data book and maintenance log is really common.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MSC182:

However...

Sometimes comments like these get people to develop an app to do things like keep dope on a phone app. I've found that if I cross reference from my shooting data book to my reload data book I tend to double check things and process my data better. I started with a small pre made data book and wasn't happy with the amount of room per page and went to a small note book.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Sometimes comments like these get people to develop an app to do things like keep dope on a phone app. I've found that if I cross reference from my shooting data book to my reload data book I tend to double check things and process my data better. I started with a small pre made data book and wasn't happy with the amount of room per page and went to a small note book.
View Quote
So I made this more difficult and harder to use your existing record keeping protocol on?

My work here is done...😬

Really though, I know I can come off as something of an ass at times. I have input that might help other shooters, which is really all I’m trying to do, and I’m always looking to learn something new. Or learn more about something I might already have familiarity with, but there’s a lot I don’t know!

Just here to help make some precision obsessed nerds like me more miserable with all that we’ve gotta keep track of haha!
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as apps go, check out BallisticsARC. Can’t say enough good about it. The free version lets you do so much that it’s probably all a new shooter will need for a while. The paid version is worth far more than it costs.

DOPE is certainly a more effective data set for the way your rifle shoots with you behind it. Over time though, it’s good to look at what a ballistics table gives you for your holds value vs what your working hold value was.  You’ll be able to spot the trends and they can teach you a lot about your equipment and your own proficiency.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
So I made this more difficult and harder to use your existing record keeping protocol on?

My work here is done...😬

Really though, I know I can come off as something of an ass at times. I have input that might help other shooters, which is really all I’m trying to do, and I’m always looking to learn something new. Or learn more about something I might already have familiarity with, but there’s a lot I don’t know!

Just here to help make some precision obsessed nerds like me more miserable with all that we’ve gotta keep track of haha!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My work here is done...😬

I've lost too many phones to put my data on one. But if it helps the nerds they need all the help they can get. My poor dyslexic ass has to study things to be able to learn. Your right about trends people don't catch.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as apps go, check out BallisticsARC. Can’t say enough good about it. The free version lets you do so much that it’s probably all a new shooter will need for a while. The paid version is worth far more than it costs.

DOPE is certainly a more effective data set for the way your rifle shoots with you behind it. Over time though, it’s good to look at what a ballistics table gives you for your holds value vs what your working hold value was.  You’ll be able to spot the trends and they can teach you a lot about your equipment and your own proficiency.
View Quote
BallisticsARC is what I use and I’m new to precision rifles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep a small write in the rain notepad in my stock pouch or rifle bag where the first page is a basic dope chart I update as needed (first few pages are left blank for that) then I record anything that is different. Did my point of impact vary from expected? New data? Did I mess with the scope in a way that my zero stops are no longer the same? Group notes...  That's not my log book, just sort of a running diary for the gun that gets replaced as needed and the accumulated information condensed into a page or two in the new book.

I then have a larger notebook where I keep load development info and tracking and shooting notes like a regular log book. Sometimes it's super brief if nothing was worth remembering, sometimes it's two pages of notes for five shots because there was new stuff going on. Since most of my shooting is the same place, same distances, same loads... there might be a lotta trips between new data beyond the bare bones. I'd say half my records related to weather. Temp, barometric pressure, wind, cold bore and warm bore results. My two main rifles for this kinda thing are both really good about not changing much between cold and warm, or clean and slightly fouled, but good records will help me know if/when that starts to change. The data from that book gets crunched and turned into dope cards and the first page of the little book.

It sounds boring to say it, but precision shooting should be predictable and routine once you have data for the conditions you're shooting in. It's building that library and learning the skills that is the challenge. Then you change (we call it upgrading, but let's be honest here) something and roll back your data a bit just to keep things interesting or expand the hardware's capabilities so we have to prove or improve our skills in new ways.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a write in the rain weather resistant book. Made by Ben Meadows.  Has a matching pen.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:48:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Overtorque] [#16]
Especially if you are new, a ballistic app can make it a lot easier to understand what the bullet is doing.  I use Ballistic AE, but I am sure that there are others that work as well or better.  Zero at 100 yards.  Fire at another known distance and measure the drop in mils, MOA, or inches.  Use the app truing tool to fine tune your trajectory calculation.  You now have a firing solution that will get you on target, or close, at any range.  Apps are the way to go.  Check out Ballistic AE on Youtube to see theirs.  

A logbook is a related, but separate issue.  A Rite in the Rain pad and pen is sufficient, but you can spend more for nicer stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top