Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2021 12:32:35 AM EDT
I love scopes with locking turrets but unfortunately not all of mine have them.  I never touch my windage dials and would like to be able to secure them so they can't spin. Has anyone done anything like this? Was thinking a tiny dab of epoxy. The best solution would be to remove the turret cap then drill and tap it for a couple screws but I don't have the know how to do that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]
A drop of fingernail polish might work-------and be easier to remove than epoxy.

but I've not tried it......
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
not a route I would take. If you end up switching ammo, or swapping the scope around to another rifle I think you could end up regretting any attempts to epoxy your turrets.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#3]
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:
A drop of fingernail polish might work-------and be easier to remove than epoxy.
but I've not tried it......
View Quote

Not a bad idea.
Originally Posted By forensicgun:
not a route I would take. If you end up switching ammo, or swapping the scope around to another rifle I think you could end up regretting any attempts to epoxy your turrets.
View Quote

I was thinking of a small dot of it that could be filed off if I have to rezero.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not a tight wrap of electrical tape? Easily removed if needed and nothing permanent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup wrap a piece of electrical tape around it. Did that years ago before locking turrets were a thing.
View Quote

X2! That's what I was going to say or just buy scopes with caps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Yup wrap a piece of electrical tape around it. Did that years ago before locking turrets were a thing.

Thanks guys. Looking at it I think an X pattern with the tape might work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on the design of the turret, maybe a big fat O ring stretched around it to add more friction and make it harder to turn would work.  I do this for radio knobs sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
Depending on the design of the turret, maybe a big fat O ring stretched around it to add more friction and make it harder to turn would work.  I do this for radio knobs sometimes.
View Quote

The rubber band/o-ring for a radio is another good life hack I learned from arfcom.

Fun historical tidbit: skip to about 12:30 in this video. This scope is over 100 years old.
Pattern 14 MKI W (T) - The Best Sniper Rifle of World War One

It has a slippable elevation turret with a locking screw! I wonder if a person could make locking screw like that you could clamp onto the scope body like you would a bubble level.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
OP call the manufacturer and see if they can change them to what you want..Leopold does it on a least a few of theirs..
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP call the manufacturer and see if they can change them to what you want..Leopold does it on a least a few of theirs..
View Quote

It's just a Vortex PST 2. They don't offer anything. It's all the scope I need for this application and I like having the same reticle as my Razor I just wish it had the locking turrets.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Roddy556:

It's just a Vortex PST 2. They don't offer anything. It's all the scope I need for this application and I like having the same reticle as my Razor I just wish it had the locking turrets.
View Quote

Ah, that makes sense to keep them the same...what about selling it and adding another razor..I mean its just money right...
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Ah, that makes sense to keep them the same...what about selling it and adding another razor..I mean its just money right...
View Quote

Sorry, I am confused. If you zero the rifle and set the turrets to zero and don’t fuck with them again why do you need a lock?

Serious question.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#15]

Because sometimes you can accidentally spin the knob and be off. I have done it in the past at matches before they turned into why PRS is now. Had to sling rifle over back to use a rope to climb up to roof top and take shots down at targets. First couple were off right and then I looked over and knob had been spun. Not everyone needs it but it’s nice to have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Sorry, I am confused. If you zero the rifle and set the turrets to zero and don’t fuck with them again why do you need a lock?

Serious question.

Because sometimes you can accidentally spin the knob and be off. I have done it in the past at matches before they turned into why PRS is now. Had to sling rifle over back to use a rope to climb up to roof top and take shots down at targets. First couple were off right and then I looked over and knob had been spun. Not everyone needs it but it’s nice to have.

Exactly this. It is a problem someone like a benchrest shooter would never have but I hike and snowmobile with this rifle and it gets bumped and jostled. I do dial elevation but I never touch my windage dial so there is no reason to allow it to move freely for me. Sure you can check it before you shoot but I like my gear to hold zero and not need extra checks if possible.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Roddy556:

The rubber band/o-ring for a radio is another good life hack I learned from arfcom.

Fun historical tidbit: skip to about 12:30 in this video. This scope is over 100 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODNBQr9gN6Y
It has a slippable elevation turret with a locking screw! I wonder if a person could make locking screw like that you could clamp onto the scope body like you would a bubble level.
View Quote

I bet it would be pretty easy to make a clip-on plastic turret lock with a 3D printer.  Something that attaches to the main tube and clips around the knurling on the turret would be pretty easy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
One thing I found that works with the VX-R series of Leupold scopes with exposed turrets:

Remove the turret cap.  Place felt between the inside of the cap and the actual internal turret assembly.  Experiment in how thick the felt needs to be.  You can make them much harder to turn or actually lock them.  The felt works like a brake shoe inside a brake drum.

The beauty is that it is cosmetically invisible and totally reversible.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MS556:
One thing I found that works with the VX-R series of Leupold scopes with exposed turrets:

Remove the turret cap.  Place felt between the inside of the cap and the actual internal turret assembly.  Experiment in how thick the felt needs to be.  You can make them much harder to turn or actually lock them.  The felt works like a brake shoe inside a brake drum.

View Quote

Very clever idea!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:57:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp9] [#20]
Originally Posted By MS556:

View Quote

Can you post a picture of this for me please? I have a 1.25-4 VX-AR Patrol scope on my patrol carbine and every time I pull it out of the case at dark o clock on a felony traffic stop or whatever, I have to stop and check the turrets with a flashlight and it drives me crazy!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Peice of heat shrink would be clean and reversible
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Serious question.
View Quote

My Savage hunting rifle wears a Viper PST 2.5 x 10 and the turrets on the scope do not lock.  I have walked to my stand through the brush with the rifle slung only to find the turrets moved off zero when I checked them in the stand.  Locking turrets would solve that problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top