Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2018 10:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: loudxpack]
Hey all

I’m looking to get a bit of info on tripods

I’m very familiar with bogen manfrotto as I used to shoot photoG with them. I am open to other brands as well

Questions -

Will ball head suffice?
What pound requirement should I be looking at? Will mainly be shooting my m40a5 so about 17 lbs with loaded mag
Hog saddle vs pig saddle?

Please enlighten me with what has worked for you. I’d like to keep the price around $350 for everything, legs, head and saddle

Pics of your setup would be appreciated as well

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Tripod thread here in the Precision Rifles / New Precision Rifle Products section > LINK
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have this one , it holds my rifle no problem...(rated for 33pounds) and works excellent, especially for the price..It has been super stabile, reliable, and handy..It comes with Swiss-Arca mount standard but it would be simple to spin a saddle on if you want a saddle(my chassis is cut for Swiss_Arca....)It can be conformed into several configurations as well....Did I mention the price.....

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1C8VGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#3]
Everyone is pretty much running carbon fiber brands now, that are over what you'd like to spend.  I started with a manfrotto with a ball head and a hog saddle, and am now using an RRS with a leveling base and Arca Clamp.  Leofoto is a cheaper option.  There are a couple other brands I don'y have personal experience with.   From my experience the carbon tripods work much better for shooting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's the same tripod I posted above but without the saddle for the rifle and the color....
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered some legs and a ball head for around $200, it is carbon fiber and rated for 35 pounds so I'll see how that holds up. Also got the pig saddle for another $130

Eventually I will splurge on something really nice when the need arises
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#7]
Don’t know much about them, but I went with a PIG saddle, PIG-0311S tripod, and their recommended Sunwayfoto FB-52 ballhead. I like the setup, and think this will do me for years until I get way more into them and upgrade to a RRS or similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top