Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2019 11:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackdogADV]
Both of these are expensive as hell at 60-65 cents a piece.  I can get Nosler for 64 cents locally.  I haven’t loaded any of this, Lapua has a great reputation and I’m not sure about Nosler.  Should I just man up and order some Lapua?  This is for my precision loads with 69gr SMK’s.  I use range brass/55gr for everything else.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Precision out to how many yards?

What caliber are you shooting?

If you have to buy them, Lapua would definitely be the better bet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:14:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: utahman] [#2]
Can’t say for 5.56/223, but reloading for my 300 WM the Lapua brass is easier to work, seat primers, and neck tension seems more consistent.
Case volume seems the same.
I like reloading the Lapua, and i’ve Stocked up on 2-300 in the last couple years
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If the situation demands the best. Lapua is the way to go.
Best,
Cole
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Lapua,nosler and Peterson all have been great for me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Precision out to how many yards?

What caliber are you shooting?

If you have to buy them, Lapua would definitely be the better bet.
View Quote
223.  I’m only going to 100 yards now as I’m playing around with the MOA all day challenge.   I’ll definitely order up some Lapua for later.  Weather is crappy now and I was hoping to load tomorrow.  I can also get Hornady and Winchester brass locally for much cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#6]
Originally Posted By BlackdogGS:

223.  I’m only going to 100 yards now as I’m playing around with the MOA all day challenge.   I’ll definitely order up some Lapua for later.  Weather is crappy now and I was hoping to load tomorrow.  I can also get Hornady and Winchester brass locally for much cheaper.
View Quote
Just pick up some 1x Lake City brass... probably $60 for a thousand of them. It's all I use for my precision 223 loads.

They are very consistent, and can handle good pressure. Typically they have less case volume though
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Just pick up some 1x Lake City brass... probably $60 for a thousand of them. It's all I use for my precision 223 loads.

They are very consistent, and can handle good pressure. Typically they have less case volume though
View Quote
I have thousands of those, I’ll give them a try.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Not only is Lake City once fired very good brass, at almost ten times cheaper than Lapua/Nosler you can feel free to discard anything in the lot that looks suspect.

This, IMO, is the only way to fly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy the Lapua!  Get a Redding Type S FL sizer with 0.336 bushing or a Forster Bump Die with same bushing size.
And, remove the expander ball.  Control the neck tension with the bushing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
Buy the Lapua!  Get a Redding Type S FL sizer with 0.336 bushing or a Forster Bump Die with same bushing size.
View Quote
He's interested in .223 brass, not .308.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#11]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Yep, it's certainly is important to read the thread before answering.

And that's why I'm sure the LC will fit his needs well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I shoot 0.6 MOA with lake city brass 69gr smk and 25.2/25.5 gr CFE223. Lake city brass new is 14 cents Link
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cmcque:
I shoot 0.6 MOA with lake city brass 69gr smk and 25.2/25.5 gr CFE223. Lake city brass new is 14 cents Link
View Quote
I just ordered the brass and copied your recipe.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
No problem. Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I also use LC cases for 223 precision. All cases get prepped the same and then get sorted by headstamp.

I like to work with at 100 or more cases with the same head stamp to set up a new load. All the headstamps sorted in a lot below a total of 100 get batched together for practice and fouling rounds.

A lot of work goes into the case prep and out of 1000 once fired cases I may only get one or lots of cases with over 100 pieces with the same headstamp. If I was only shooting precision, I'd get Lapua. Since i've got several AR's in 223/556 I come out ahead using LC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Well if 223 is line... Lapua

Nosler brass has no case life at all.

Lapua would be the choice.  But, I would say the Peterson would be a solid alternative..

But, another option is find some once fire say BHA 223 (Win MFGR) and prep that otherwise Win Virgin would a nice option fully prepped.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cmcque:
View Quote
Nice deal on new.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d look at Sig as well. I’m averaging .4moa with it over 40 shots in 223. Probably would have been better but I had the magnetospeed attached for some groups and the charges varied by .3grs.

It’s good stuff. I run it instead of Lapua for tactical matches since I’m not as upset when I lose a few cases.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#20]
My experience has been pretty much 100% opposite of all the prior replies.   I find the NORMA.223 brass to be excellent quality brass that's heavy, has well centered and drilled flash holes, resizes to a very consistent size as measured by headspace gage measurements, and has produced the best scores at distance that I've ever shot.  I can't comment on service life though, I've only done a couple cycles so far, so maybe I'll update when it gets up to 4 or 5; can't say.  As to NOSLER, I'm not really a big fan of NOSLER.  They're ok, and their first-run stuff is often pretty good.  But Shooters Pro Shop stuff that is marketed at "NOSLER factory and just as good but color different", have often been total junk; yet Nosler still puts their name on it.

I will say I've yet to be impressed with Lapua brass to live up to its hype.  Every time I've tried it, I've gotten worse groups than the NORMA or even LC brass.  At least one person I know did weight check and commented he found the Lapua .223 casing consistency was actually pretty disappointing, for what it is.  The only 600 yard shooting competitors that I know of that used to chat it up, have actually stopped using it saying it's OK, but they do just as good if not better, with LC.

Don't know, maybe different batches, or maybe they do better in other calibers, or whatever.  By in my experience, I'll take NORMA brass hands-down over Lapua.  For the most part, when I find Lapua on the ground, I just run it as 3-gun blaster brass and be rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#21]
@lazyengineer

You are working up a different load with the Lapua brass, correct?

I’ve used Lapua brass in 223, 6 creedmoor, 6x47, 6.5x47, 260, 308 and a host of other cartridges. It’s always produced great results, but the charges are typically a few tenths of a grain lower than when using other brass due to internal volume differences.

Either Sig or Lapua has worked for me shooting beyond 1000yds with the 223.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
@lazyengineer

You are working up a different load with the Lapua brass, correct?

I’ve used Lapua brass in 223, 6 creedmoor, 6x47, 6.5x47, 260, 308 and a host of other cartridges. It’s always produced great results, but the charges are typically a few tenths of a grain lower than when using other brass due to internal volume differences.

Either Sig or Lapua has worked for me shooting beyond 1000yds with the 223.
View Quote
yessir.  It's something else I don't like about Lapua, is it requires its own unique load development, because it has a smaller case capacity.  But I guess it's true that so does NORMA, and GECO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Laupa over any other.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]
For .223 I use Winchester commercial or Lake City surplus.

Lake City brass is .07 cents a piece purchased in bulk. It is very good quality and holds up well to repeated firing.

I use Lapua and Winchester in .308 bolt actions, Lake City and IMI in .308 semi-auto's.

My only "Lapua only" rifles are a 6mmBR and a 6.5x47mm. Long range, at least 600 yard tournament rifles, deserve the best brass available. Anything under 600 yards does not.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Older thread but thought I'd point out that 5.56x45 LC brass is typically on the higher side of case volume compared to most 223 Rem brass brands. It depends on the lot, but they're typically a little more spacious. I believe the opposite is true for 7.62x51 vs 308 Win.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#26]
Well if 223 is line... Lapua

Nosler brass has no case life at all.

Lapua would be the choice.  But, I would say the Peterson would be a solid alternative..

But, another option is find some once fire say BHA 223 (Win MFGR) and prep that otherwise Win Virgin would a nice option fully prepped.
View Quote
Nosler was never known to last long.   I have the same opinion of Hornady brass.  They are expensive and short lived.   A poor combination.

Truth be told Lapua standards are not what they were.   Price went up, consistency went down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For what you want use some cherry picked Lake City brass and spend a bit of time really detail prepping it, watching neck tensions super close.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Nosler has been great so far but only at 3X fired so far. It is short and tight. Trimmed OAL is short. Shoulder to base headspace is short. Neck is ridiculously tight when new. Its like that on .223 and 6.5 C brass in my experience. Very consistent weight. All .223 cases within 1 grain spread.

Lake City has more case capacity, is longer, does not come trimmed perfectly like Nosler, and has regular neck diameter/tension. Weight spread is over 1.5 grains. A lot more work needed sorting and needs to be sized and trimmed first firing on new brass. You can just load the Nosler.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem with Nosler brass it can be a long time waiting between batches of brass.  Where as the supply of Lapua be steadier so to speak.
At one time there were three different mgfr of Nosler brass (Norma, Federal, and SSA (now Nosler)).  
Frankly in a 223 a person may be better off doing detail prep on Winchester 223.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#30]
My best 100 yard loads in .223 with 52 grain Berger FB bullets and match prepped once fired LC cases from a 16” Lilja barrel grouped in the .6’s.  Switching to Lapua brass and working back up, loads shrunk to the .4’s. This is with Federal GM205MAR primers and H4895, seated at mag length.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
In my experience the Lapua brass is far better in a 223 AR. Why? By the third loading 40% of my Nosler brass have rims that make fitting in the case holder difficult or impossible. The only assumption I can make is the Nosler brass is softer.

I am getting far more loads from my Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#32]
To add to my above experience, after 5 firings on the Nosler and now getting Lapua brass to compare to the Lake City, Lapua has all the case capacity of Lake City, the strength and durability of Lake City, and the not sized with too small a neck or headspace for the first loading. Its got all the consistency of Nosler and then some. Smaller weight and capacity variance too. Lapua is essentially perfect brass to me at this point. Lapua has all the best features of Nosler and Lake City combined and costs no more than Nosler. I cant see going back to Nosler.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]
If I recall correctly, Nosler brass is made by Norma.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Lapua is better, more consistent neck thicknesses/neck tension and longer case life . That said, they have managed to alienate me (6.5 Creedmoor). I pay a premium for their products and they sometimes fall short. When I contact your rep, don't tell me how to fix it, YOU fix it, that is why I pay a premium.

I will be shooting Lapua 223 for years to come, I have already laid in a supply. When that is exhausted, I will be looking for an alternative.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#35]
My experience running both Lapua and Nosler through my ar’s has convinced me to use Lapua or 1x .mil brass. The Nosler brass is soft. So much so that the case rims get bent by the extractor. I would say 10% after three loads will not fit in the case holder. I may have gotten a soft batch but I won’t use their brass unless it is in a bolt gun.

Ymmv.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top